There are 199 users in the forums

To many needs to over draft a QB

Let's face it we have zero talent at the money positions:LT, QB, CB, DE. Staley cannot stay healthy;this rarely changes. Our CBs suck and Clements ain't getting 12 million a year. We haven't found a pass rushing DE in 5 drafts. Losing on Sunday puts us in prime position to get a critical non QB position. Yes QB is in our future, but we have to many holes to plug in one draft. If we force a QB in the first round like Newton, Locker, or Mallet we will continue to have gaping holes at the positions.
I agree we shouldn't over draft a QB because of our dire need, however, I think were fine at tackle for a while and if we stay in the 3-4 (which I hope) our DE's are pretty solid too.

I think we end up taking Prince if he's there.
I would take prince over Mallett, Newton, and Locker.
QB's to groom can be found later.
  • RKab
  • Veteran
In the current NFL there is no such thing as overdrafting a QB. If you have an above average QB you have a chance to compete. If you do not, or have an unsettled situation as this team has had since Garcia left - you will struggle to compete.

In a league full of parity, QBs are difference makers. This team has ignored the position for far too long. And this team needs to build a stadium.
Nah. We need a QB. I'm sick of being unsettled there. We have to fix that. Do we have other needs? Yup. But we better get a good QB.
Honestly I don't like any one named Prince.... just MHO!!! I am more into who is available right after him, Jimmy Smith from Colorado. Move Clements to FS and move Spencer over with Brown and Smith fighting over the Starting job at RCB. Draft a QB in the later rounds, lots of teams have followed this formula and it's works!!
A good QB could do more to make this team better than any other need. I wouldn't reach for a QB if there's obvious better talent, but I'd be disappointed if we didn't grab a QB with our first two picks or make a move for an existing NFL QB.
Agree on way too many needs BUT it is a QB driven league and we desperately need one. Still, paying top dollar for mediocre talent is painful and not in our long term interest.

I hope we pick #5 and get a top tier player.
  • dj43
Winning teams draft the BPA. Desperate teams draft for need.

In this case, the 49ers should draft BPA regardless of where they pick; #5, #8, where ever. If Luck comes out, he will go to Carolina. Unless the 49ers are willing to give up Willis, they won't be able to get Luck away from the Panthers. If Luck does't come out, then it doesn't matter anyway. I don't see any of the other QBs that are coming out that will be worth a top 10 pick.

The next biggest need is a pass rusher, more so than a CB. A pass rusher will make the entire secondary look better because opposing QBs will have much less time to find a receiver. There are a couple of guys who might be worth a #5 pick although there is a lot of testing to be done.

After that come CB and there should be a good one there when they pick.

What really complicates this is that it is clear Troy isn't the answer but Alex would be a good intermediate working until a rookie comes on. The trouble with that is that Alex is very unlikely to want to stay here after all the garbage he has taken from the fans, not that his performance has been spectacular but he has been hampered as no other QB in a long time.

All that being said, they may have to reach in the second round or trade back into the first but when you have a chance for an impact player, even if it is not your greatest need, you get the impact guy. Don't reach for need. That is a waste of draft value.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Draft a QB and settle it, we can plug holes during free agency.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
You can add WR to the list, I like Crabtree but we need a physical WR.............Dez Bryant would have been perfect.........ugh!

Originally posted by jimrat201:
You can add WR to the list, I like Crabtree but we need a physical WR.............Dez Bryant would have been perfect.........ugh!

Wait, you're telling me you'd rather have Dez than Anthony Davis??!!!!!

i couldn't believe Dez fell so far.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by jimrat201:

Wait, you're telling me you'd rather have Dez than Anthony Davis??!!!!!

i couldn't believe Dez fell so far.

Nothing against A.Davis, I still think he could be a decent OT but man Dez Bryant looks like another T.O.
Originally posted by dj43:
Winning teams draft the BPA. Desperate teams draft for need.

In this case, the 49ers should draft BPA regardless of where they pick; #5, #8, where ever. If Luck comes out, he will go to Carolina. Unless the 49ers are willing to give up Willis, they won't be able to get Luck away from the Panthers. If Luck does't come out, then it doesn't matter anyway. I don't see any of the other QBs that are coming out that will be worth a top 10 pick.

The next biggest need is a pass rusher, more so than a CB. A pass rusher will make the entire secondary look better because opposing QBs will have much less time to find a receiver. There are a couple of guys who might be worth a #5 pick although there is a lot of testing to be done.

After that come CB and there should be a good one there when they pick.

What really complicates this is that it is clear Troy isn't the answer but Alex would be a good intermediate working until a rookie comes on. The trouble with that is that Alex is very unlikely to want to stay here after all the garbage he has taken from the fans, not that his performance has been spectacular but he has been hampered as no other QB in a long time.

All that being said, they may have to reach in the second round or trade back into the first but when you have a chance for an impact player, even if it is not your greatest need, you get the impact guy. Don't reach for need. That is a waste of draft value.

I think the need for CB and pass rusher is about the same. Just like a great DE can make the secondary better, a great CB that can cover for a extra 2 seconds gives the pass rusher extra time to hit home. So I think they could easily go either way. As for Alex, he isn't a viable option as a stop gap/mentor to a developing qb. He needs to be further developed under another qb.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Didn't we do this when we drafted Alex Smith? Or didn't the Lions settle their problems with Stafford? Or the bears with Rex Grossman? Or maybe the Raiders have settled their QB problems with Jamarcus? Speaking of the Raiders doesn't look like Campbell helped the Skins much. Vince Young anyone? Drafting a QB takes skills. These skills aren't currently employed by the niners. And for the simple people who point to Rothesberger, Rivers, Matty ice, Cutler etc yep none of this Years QBs are close to the skill level of these guys. I don't care if we land Mike Vick himself we are gonna give up points after points with the worst secondary in the league and that is why we are not in the playoffs. No way we slide Clements to safety at twelve million next year. Not gonna happen.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Didn't we do this when we drafted Alex Smith? Or didn't the Lions settle their problems with Stafford? Or the bears with Rex Grossman? Or maybe the Raiders have settled their QB problems with Jamarcus? Speaking of the Raiders doesn't look like Campbell helped the Skins much. Vince Young anyone? Drafting a QB takes skills. These skills aren't currently employed by the niners. And for the simple people who point to Rothesberger, Rivers, Matty ice, Cutler etc yep none of this Years QBs are close to the skill level of these guys. I don't care if we land Mike Vick himself we are gonna give up points after points with the worst secondary in the league and that is why we are not in the playoffs. No way we slide Clements to safety at twelve million next year. Not gonna happen.

And Ben Roethlisberger out of Miami/Ohio and Cutler out of Vanderbilt where for sure things coming out?
Share 49ersWebzone