There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

To many needs to over draft a QB

  • Blitz
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,858
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I think BPA is the best way to go, but if your board and your biggest need converge pretty closely, go with need. Don't be such a slave to the BPA concept that you can't address your biggest needs with a highly-ranked, highly thought of player. After all, this is an inexact science and even the most highly ranked players on your board might become busts, regardless of position.

Word.

These player's get ranked all over the place. One team will have a player in the first, another will have him in the third etc. Nobody is right all the time. The need is always talent, regardless if it is BPA or not. If you got a chance to get some talent that matches a need without mortgaging the next decade, you do it.

[ Edited by Blitz on Dec 27, 2010 at 22:10:39 ]
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by jimrat201:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by jimrat201:
You can add WR to the list, I like Crabtree but we need a physical WR.............Dez Bryant would have been perfect.........ugh!

Wait, you're telling me you'd rather have Dez than Anthony Davis??!!!!!


i couldn't believe Dez fell so far.

Nothing against A.Davis, I still think he could be a decent OT but man Dez Bryant looks like another T.O.

I know man, i'm just messing. I'd trade Davis for Bryant in a heart beat. He's exactly like a young T.O, only quicker.

Although Dez would have been nice, we could of stayed put and got him. once we made that trade, the OBVIOUS pick should have been Earl Thomas. You don't trade up and take a player that will more than likely fall to you if you stay put. I think Anthony will continue to progress but once it said 49ers traded up, that pick should have been Thomas
Originally posted by dj43:
Winning teams draft the BPA. Desperate teams draft for need.

In this case, the 49ers should draft BPA regardless of where they pick; #5, #8, where ever. If Luck comes out, he will go to Carolina. Unless the 49ers are willing to give up Willis, they won't be able to get Luck away from the Panthers. If Luck does't come out, then it doesn't matter anyway. I don't see any of the other QBs that are coming out that will be worth a top 10 pick.

The next biggest need is a pass rusher, more so than a CB. A pass rusher will make the entire secondary look better because opposing QBs will have much less time to find a receiver. There are a couple of guys who might be worth a #5 pick although there is a lot of testing to be done.

After that come CB and there should be a good one there when they pick.

What really complicates this is that it is clear Troy isn't the answer but Alex would be a good intermediate working until a rookie comes on. The trouble with that is that Alex is very unlikely to want to stay here after all the garbage he has taken from the fans, not that his performance has been spectacular but he has been hampered as no other QB in a long time.

All that being said, they may have to reach in the second round or trade back into the first but when you have a chance for an impact player, even if it is not your greatest need, you get the impact guy. Don't reach for need. That is a waste of draft value.

are pass rush was better than our secondary. i would have to disagree here. cb then dt
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by jimrat201:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by jimrat201:
You can add WR to the list, I like Crabtree but we need a physical WR.............Dez Bryant would have been perfect.........ugh!

Wait, you're telling me you'd rather have Dez than Anthony Davis??!!!!!


i couldn't believe Dez fell so far.

Nothing against A.Davis, I still think he could be a decent OT but man Dez Bryant looks like another T.O.

I know man, i'm just messing. I'd trade Davis for Bryant in a heart beat. He's exactly like a young T.O, only quicker.

Although Dez would have been nice, we could of stayed put and got him. once we made that trade, the OBVIOUS pick should have been Earl Thomas. You don't trade up and take a player that will more than likely fall to you if you stay put. I think Anthony will continue to progress but once it said 49ers traded up, that pick should have been Thomas

I was saying that during the draft and people were killing me. We've needed a playmaking DB for so long.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by jimrat201:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by jimrat201:
You can add WR to the list, I like Crabtree but we need a physical WR.............Dez Bryant would have been perfect.........ugh!

Wait, you're telling me you'd rather have Dez than Anthony Davis??!!!!!


i couldn't believe Dez fell so far.

Nothing against A.Davis, I still think he could be a decent OT but man Dez Bryant looks like another T.O.

I know man, i'm just messing. I'd trade Davis for Bryant in a heart beat. He's exactly like a young T.O, only quicker.

Although Dez would have been nice, we could of stayed put and got him. once we made that trade, the OBVIOUS pick should have been Earl Thomas. You don't trade up and take a player that will more than likely fall to you if you stay put. I think Anthony will continue to progress but once it said 49ers traded up, that pick should have been Thomas

I was saying that during the draft and people were killing me. We've needed a playmaking DB for so long.

At the time, Goldson was coming off a good season and looking to build on it so Earl Thomas wasn't as big of a "want" for me but when it showed at the bottom of the screen that we traded up in front of Seattle, I thought it was more than obvious that we did that to take Earl. Unfortunately, that was not the case. To trade up in front of Seattle and take an OT after they JUST TOOK AN OT, that was horrible
too many QB changes in a season not to draft a QB
We don't need to trade all our picks for Luck because we can get a good QB around the 6-10 range and later in the draft. It all comes down to developing the QB and putting him in the best situation to succeed.
There's no way we DON'T draft a QB, and it's likely that the new head coach will have a strong say in who that guy is (not to mention, developing properly over the next few years). So as long as we hire the right head coach, "over-drafting" a QB shouldn't be an issue.

1.) GM
2.) HC
3.) Sign veteran QB starter
4.) Draft QB (preferably in the 1st/2nd round)
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
There's no way we DON'T draft a QB, and it's likely that the new head coach will have a strong say in who that guy is (not to mention, developing properly over the next few years). So as long as we hire the right head coach, "over-drafting" a QB shouldn't be an issue.

1.) GM
2.) HC
3.) Sign veteran QB starter
4.) Draft QB (preferably in the 1st/2nd round)

thats the order of progression i would go with too
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
There's no way we DON'T draft a QB, and it's likely that the new head coach will have a strong say in who that guy is (not to mention, developing properly over the next few years). So as long as we hire the right head coach, "over-drafting" a QB shouldn't be an issue.

1.) GM
2.) HC
3.) Sign veteran QB starter
4.) Draft QB (preferably in the 1st/2nd round)

Makes too much sense. 49ers should have been doing this 8 years ago...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
There's no way we DON'T draft a QB, and it's likely that the new head coach will have a strong say in who that guy is (not to mention, developing properly over the next few years). So as long as we hire the right head coach, "over-drafting" a QB shouldn't be an issue.

1.) GM
2.) HC
3.) Sign veteran QB starter
4.) Draft QB (preferably in the 1st/2nd round)

Makes too much sense. 49ers should have been doing this 8 years ago...

Let's take a quick look at the playoff teams this year, and where their QBs were drafted:

PHI - Vick (1st rounder)
CHI - Cutler (1st)
GB - Rodgers (1st)
ATL - Ryan (1st)
NO - Brees (2nd)
NE - Brady (6th)
NYJ - Sanchez (1st)
BAL - Flacco (1st)
PIT - Roethlisberger (1st)
IND - Manning (1st)
KC - Cassel (7th)

The NFC West is undecided between either Bradford (1st) or Hasselbeck (6th). Also the Giants with Manning (1st) still have a shot. So do the Bucs with Freeman (1st). But the above results speak for themselves:

11 Teams
8 First Round QBs
1 Second Rounder
1 Sixth
1 7th

QB is too important to not take in Round 1
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Let's take a quick look at the playoff teams this year, and where their QBs were drafted:

PHI - Vick (1st rounder)
CHI - Cutler (1st)
GB - Rodgers (1st)
ATL - Ryan (1st)
NO - Brees (2nd)
NE - Brady (6th)
NYJ - Sanchez (1st)
BAL - Flacco (1st)
PIT - Roethlisberger (1st)
IND - Manning (1st)
KC - Cassel (7th)

The NFC West is undecided between either Bradford (1st) or Hasselbeck (6th). Also the Giants with Manning (1st) still have a shot. So do the Bucs with Freeman (1st). But the above results speak for themselves:

11 Teams
8 First Round QBs
1 Second Rounder
1 Sixth
1 7th

QB is too important to not take in Round 1

Really depends on who the GM. We all know we need a QB,but the GM could decided to address the need through free agency or a trade and draft a QB later in the draft.
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by dj43:
Winning teams draft the BPA. Desperate teams draft for need.

In this case, the 49ers should draft BPA regardless of where they pick; #5, #8, where ever. If Luck comes out, he will go to Carolina. Unless the 49ers are willing to give up Willis, they won't be able to get Luck away from the Panthers. If Luck does't come out, then it doesn't matter anyway. I don't see any of the other QBs that are coming out that will be worth a top 10 pick.

The next biggest need is a pass rusher, more so than a CB. A pass rusher will make the entire secondary look better because opposing QBs will have much less time to find a receiver. There are a couple of guys who might be worth a #5 pick although there is a lot of testing to be done.

After that come CB and there should be a good one there when they pick.

What really complicates this is that it is clear Troy isn't the answer but Alex would be a good intermediate working until a rookie comes on. The trouble with that is that Alex is very unlikely to want to stay here after all the garbage he has taken from the fans, not that his performance has been spectacular but he has been hampered as no other QB in a long time.

All that being said, they may have to reach in the second round or trade back into the first but when you have a chance for an impact player, even if it is not your greatest need, you get the impact guy. Don't reach for need. That is a waste of draft value.

are pass rush was better than our secondary. i would have to disagree here. cb then dt
On what basis do you make that assertion?

I recall very few games where opposing QBs were not allowed 3+ seconds to pick out a receiver. With that kind of time, any secondary will look bad.