LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 248 users in the forums

To many needs to over draft a QB

Originally posted by jimrat201:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by jimrat201:
You can add WR to the list, I like Crabtree but we need a physical WR.............Dez Bryant would have been perfect.........ugh!

Wait, you're telling me you'd rather have Dez than Anthony Davis??!!!!!

i couldn't believe Dez fell so far.

Nothing against A.Davis, I still think he could be a decent OT but man Dez Bryant looks like another T.O.

I know man, i'm just messing. I'd trade Davis for Bryant in a heart beat. He's exactly like a young T.O, only quicker.
I think BPA is the best way to go, but if your board and your biggest need converge pretty closely, go with need. Don't be such a slave to the BPA concept that you can't address your biggest needs with a highly-ranked, highly thought of player. After all, this is an inexact science and even the most highly ranked players on your board might become busts, regardless of position.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Draft a QB and settle it, we can plug holes during free agency.

Didn't we do this when we drafted Alex Smith? Or didn't the Lions settle their problems with Stafford? Or the bears with Rex Grossman? Or maybe the Raiders have settled their QB problems with Jamarcus? Speaking of the Raiders doesn't look like Campbell helped the Skins much. Vince Young anyone? Drafting a QB takes skills. These skills aren't currently employed by the niners. And for the simple people who point to Rothesberger, Rivers, Matty ice, Cutler etc yep none of this Years QBs are close to the skill level of these guys. I don't care if we land Mike Vick himself we are gonna give up points after points with the worst secondary in the league and that is why we are not in the playoffs. No way we slide Clements to safety at twelve million next year. Not gonna happen.

You have lost all credibility
Originally posted by RKab:
In the current NFL there is no such thing as overdrafting a QB. If you have an above average QB you have a chance to compete. If you do not, or have an unsettled situation as this team has had since Garcia left - you will struggle to compete.

In a league full of parity, QBs are difference makers. This team has ignored the position for far too long. And this team needs to build a stadium.

ALL OF THIS....exactly what I am saying.

Look at all the teams going to the playoffs. All with elite QBs.
I think at looking at Jake Locker is a perfect example. Had Locker came out, he would have been #1 in which alot of experts were so sure of.....now look at him.
Big arms and pro offenses. No QB is flawless. The Steelers were set at every other position. Same with the Broncos back in 2006. In fact, most teams had rothlesberger higher on there boards than rivers and cutler was higher on most draft boards than either young or leinart. Sry for spelling players names wrong I didn't want to look em up.
trade for Orton, we can probably get Prince or Peterson where we will be picking

bam!
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

Didn't we do this when we drafted Alex Smith? Or didn't the Lions settle their problems with Stafford? Or the bears with Rex Grossman? Or maybe the Raiders have settled their QB problems with Jamarcus? Speaking of the Raiders doesn't look like Campbell helped the Skins much. Vince Young anyone? Drafting a QB takes skills. These skills aren't currently employed by the niners. And for the simple people who point to Rothesberger, Rivers, Matty ice, Cutler etc yep none of this Years QBs are close to the skill level of these guys. I don't care if we land Mike Vick himself we are gonna give up points after points with the worst secondary in the league and that is why we are not in the playoffs. No way we slide Clements to safety at twelve million next year. Not gonna happen.

Nicedude thanks for the input
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
How do this years QBs not have the skill level of the top NFL QBs when they havent played a down of NFL football.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Knowing whether you drafted right is another thing, you can't dwell on the fact that because you didn't draft right the first time you shouldn't do the same. Should we over draft for a QB, well it really depends on which QB is available when we pick right. Would I take a Jake Locker or Cam Newton in the top 10, I can't speak for everyone, but no I wouldn't, nor would I take a Ricky Stanzi or a Christian Ponder in the 1st. If a Patrick Peterson were on the board with Ryan Mallet, no doubt I'd take the BPA in Peterson, BUT, I'd make sure with my next pick it would be the best available QB, because again, I know that position does need to be filled and solidified....that's just the way I'd draft, again I can't speak for everyone.

Originally posted by ninerlifer:

Nicedude thanks for the input

you have lost more credibility to look at the posts I made for the "input" you require.

There are 4 1st round calibur qb's that we have to look at. For all the busts that there have been in the 1st, there are many successes as well.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Nah. We need a QB. I'm sick of being unsettled there. We have to fix that. Do we have other needs? Yup. But we better get a good QB.

We need 2 Qbs. Neither one of the Smith brothers is even a legitimate back up.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I don't care if we have to give up rounds 1-3 for a franchise QB, either draft or trade it's worth it.
Originally posted by BobS:

We need 2 Qbs. Neither one of the Smith brothers is even a legitimate back up.
alex would be a very good backup...he didnt play like a franchise-qb but like a decent one/good backup in the last two seasons.
Originally posted by Chief:
I don't care if we have to give up rounds 1-3 for a franchise QB, either draft or trade it's worth it.
a desperation move is the last thing we need now...

[ Edited by communist on Dec 27, 2010 at 21:40:24 ]
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Winning teams draft the BPA. Desperate teams draft for need.

In this case, the 49ers should draft BPA regardless of where they pick; #5, #8, where ever. If Luck comes out, he will go to Carolina. Unless the 49ers are willing to give up Willis, they won't be able to get Luck away from the Panthers. If Luck does't come out, then it doesn't matter anyway. I don't see any of the other QBs that are coming out that will be worth a top 10 pick.

The next biggest need is a pass rusher, more so than a CB. A pass rusher will make the entire secondary look better because opposing QBs will have much less time to find a receiver. There are a couple of guys who might be worth a #5 pick although there is a lot of testing to be done.

After that come CB and there should be a good one there when they pick.

What really complicates this is that it is clear Troy isn't the answer but Alex would be a good intermediate working until a rookie comes on. The trouble with that is that Alex is very unlikely to want to stay here after all the garbage he has taken from the fans, not that his performance has been spectacular but he has been hampered as no other QB in a long time.

All that being said, they may have to reach in the second round or trade back into the first but when you have a chance for an impact player, even if it is not your greatest need, you get the impact guy. Don't reach for need. That is a waste of draft value.

This is a desperate team, in desperate need of a QB.
Share 49ersWebzone