LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Do We still Draft of Sign a QB

• Antix
  • Veteran
Yes.

T Smith has only played two games. Until proven otherwise we need to draft a QB and/or sign a proven vet qb
If Troy resigns to start and Alex to backup with Nate as the 3rd stringer then no. If Troy doesnt resign then it needs to be a 1rst Rounder. If Alex doesnt resign then somewhere in the 3-5 rounds.
Originally posted by RonMexico:

Sam Wheat?

depends how Troy plays the rest of the year
Troy Smith's performance will determine if we use our 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, later rounder or sign a FA. If he continues to play at a high level, we will use a late rounder or sign a FA. If he slumps, then we draft early.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Just finished watching the replay vs the Lambs, and Troy looks awesome with only two starts, I think he'll stay here for a few years...
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chief:
If Troy Smith finishes the season with a stat line like he has now I see us picking up one later and not sooner in the draft.

I agree, although QB is a huge need, however we have other huge needs such as a shutdown corner and a pass rusher.
Without a doubt! Even if T.Smith didn't lose a game until the playoffs and IMPROVED. We need to invest in the QB position.

I think regardless of how he plays T.Smith has proven at the very least he is good enough to be a damn good #2 QB.

If Troy continues to blow up and a new offensive minded HC comes in (God please Holmgren or Gruden) and that guy wants to start him I say spend a #1 or #2 to develope/put pressure on Troy.

2 things we must avoid at the QB postion
1) Drafting one and then being blind to the fact that he sucks
2) Not establishing a good backup plan. I would love it if Troy becomes the next great NFL QB. I want the old days back remember Montana, Young and Steve Bono were all on the same team.

We're the 49ers we were known for our QB's, we don't need to go out and get A QB we need to go out and get at least 2 viable QB's whether that means Troy Smith is the starter or not.
Depends if Troy Smith is really Jeff Garcia or Tim Rattay.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
If Troy resigns to start and Alex to backup with Nate as the 3rd stringer then no. If Troy doesnt resign then it needs to be a 1rst Rounder. If Alex doesnt resign then somewhere in the 3-5 rounds.

I'm going with this.

I would love to have Alex Smith for a back up, he's perfect for it, great guy in the locker room, unselfish, smart, veteran.

Not sure if he would stay to accept that role though, but we'll find out!

Of course the Niners still need a QB. No matter what Troy does the rest of the year, we know three things:

1) Alex Smith ain't coming back
2) Neither is David Carr
3) Nate Davis is still a work in progress
OF COURSE.

Have we learned NOTHING from the past 6 years, and the small window of hope Troy has given us?

Even if he plays lights out AND we somehow make the playoffs, getting another QB is our top priority.

We can't put all our eggs in one basket. Haven't we learned anything from half season surprise "greatness" from the likes of JTO, Shaun Hill and even Alex?

If we have even ONE QB that seems like a legit starter, that's an upgrade. But to make sure we eventually have a franchise QB, we need to bring in a proven vet (if one is available) and/or draft a high caliber prospect.

You cannot have enough bullets in the QB gun. Look at the Eagles over the last couple years. Even with McNabb, Kolb, and Vick on their roster, they still, between age, injuries and performance, may still only end up with ONE true long term starter, and it's likely going to be the last one anyone expected at the start of last season.

And if you're lucky and multiple work out, BRILLIANT. Make a trade or two and stock up on draft picks. The worst case scenario is overpaying at the QB position for a year or two.

As opposed to underpaying, hoping a flash in the pan, and/or backups and late round picks magically turn into the future.

We have done more than enough of that, thank you.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
There are 7 more games left to form an opinion.
Of course! Andrew Luck please!
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Yes without a doubt.

This. Look at our qb situation, Carr gtfo, Alex gtfo(if Troy continues), so that leaves us with Troy and ...... Nate. We re-sign Troy, if he continues like this he is our franchise qb and we draft a mid round qb and bring in a vet to toutor both rookie and Troy. If his play declines re-sign him and use a first or second round pick on a qb and bring in a vet.
Ether way we draft a qb as a safety net or a new hope.

Nope, keep alex as a backup.. he would be an excellent back up.
Share 49ersWebzone