LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Do We still Draft of Sign a QB

• obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by Lifer:
Rule #1 in the NFL - If you don't have a franchise QB, you need to find a franchise QB. Everything else is secondary to that.

After only two games, there's no way of knowing whether we've found our franchise QB. Even if Troy is the starter the rest of the way, I'm not sure you can make that determination on the basis of 9 games.

Statistically speaking, the chances of a 3rd string, 5th round pick stepping in and suddenly emerging as a franchise QB are pretty low. However, what I saw last Sunday was so exceptional that I now believe it's at least possible that Troy is that one in a million guy.

So the question is not whether you draft a QB next year, but how high do you draft him? The other all-important question is: Who is your Head Coach and what offensive system does he run? You should build a football team from the top down; not from the bottom up. Find your HC first and let him determine who his quarterback(s) will be. If you make the right choice at HC, he will make the right choice at QB.

which is why the yorks need to fire dingleberry one min. after the season ends.

It wouldn't come soon enough.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by leebert81:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes for sure.

Troy Smith is 5'10". And he played 2 home games. London was home by the more fans. Also against horrific teams. You guys are getting carried away on his upside potential. He won't lead us anywhere.

Did he shrink?

But yes, we still need depth at the position. I do not want Alex back next year even as a back up. He needs to move on and attempt to resurrect his career elsewhere. If he's still on the roster then he will play eventually, light it up for a game or two and we find ourselves on the same merry go round we've been on.

If Troy plays well make him the starter and draft a 2-3 round QB.

LB

I think Smith is too short to be a starting Qb in the NFL. I think he's actually 5'9". Him and Fwankie look to be the same size.

Yea those 356 yards and 1(4)TD's last week against the Rams last week totally agree with you.

Doug Flutie may take issue with this as well.

LB

He was the first QB I thought of as well.

Smith maybe the exception, but eventually his size is going to comeback to bite him. I rooting for the guy, though.

I really don't care about his height. He's been playing like he's 6'6" so far.

LB
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yes for sure.

Troy Smith is 5'10". And he played 2 home games. London was home by the more fans. Also against horrific teams. You guys are getting carried away on his upside potential. He won't lead us anywhere.

Did he shrink?

But yes, we still need depth at the position. I do not want Alex back next year even as a back up. He needs to move on and attempt to resurrect his career elsewhere. If he's still on the roster then he will play eventually, light it up for a game or two and we find ourselves on the same merry go round we've been on.

LB

I think Smith is too short to be a starting Qb in the NFL. I think he's actually 5'9". Him and Fwankie look to be the same size.

Yea those 356 yards and 1(4)TD's last week against the Rams last week totally agree with you.

LB

Smith maybe the exception, but eventually his size is going to comeback to bite him. I rooting for the guy, though.

Clearly Troy Smith's height rates him the inferior QB when compared to the taller Alex Smith. We should measure all of our QB's and who ever is the tallest should be named the starter......hell the tallest person on the team should be the starting QB.

I don't necessarily like tall Qb's. I think the ideal height for a Qb is 6'2" to 6'4".

[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 18, 2010 at 03:59:08 ]
Yes for sure.

Did he shrink?

LB

LB

Clearly Troy Smith's height rates him the inferior QB when compared to the taller Alex Smith. We should measure all of our QB's and who ever is the tallest should be named the starter......hell the tallest person on the team should be the starting QB.

I don't necessarily like tall Qb's. I think the ideal height for a Qb is 6'2" to 6'4".

Peyton Manning, Ben Rothlisberger, Tom Brady(anymore legit elite QB's over 6' 4'' I am missing?) Would not agree with you.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Yes for sure.

Did he shrink?

LB

LB

I read somewhere (don't remember where) that his inaccuracy on short to intermediate passes is due to his lack of height because he couldn't put the proper touch on the ball when throwing over the taller linemen.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yes for sure.

Did he shrink?

LB

LB

Peyton Manning, Ben Rothlisberger, Tom Brady(anymore legit elite QB's over 6' 4'' I am missing?) Would not agree with you.

Anything under 6'0" and you start getting into the debate of if the Qb can see over his OL. Brees doesn't seem to have a problem with it, but it has to be factored in the debate.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 18, 2010 at 04:08:11 ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yes for sure.

Did he shrink?

LB

LB

I don't think any of those guys are taller than 6'4", but I get what your saying.
definitely draft a QB!

BTW, we still don't know if Troy is the answer. But if we gave A.Smith 6 years, we sure as hell can give troy 1.5 years. Draft a QB, let him sit next year behind T.Smith.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think Troy can be a Senaca Wallace type. A nice backup that can win you a game.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 18, 2010 at 05:41:23 ]
If Alex Smith were willing to stick around and backup Troy Smith, I think that would be a good thing. Alex knows the offense and could help mentor Troy. And as far as backups go, we could do worse than Alex.

• obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NJNiner:
If Alex Smith were willing to stick around and backup Troy Smith, I think that would be a good thing. Alex knows the offense and could help mentor Troy. And as far as backups go, we could do worse than Alex.

I think the best thing for the organization, the fans, and Alex that he moves on to another team.
No mater what the outcome of this season they gotta go q.b in the draft!! Early or late we gotta get more depth there!! Impressed with troys play there?? Yeah but up against 2 sub par teams, Lets see how it goes on Sunday against the bucs! We can ill-afford to loose at the stick we have huge division games on the horizon>> Also has anybody looked at the schedule 4 the other 3 teams in the division on Sunday?? If we ca pull it off against the bucs we stand to gain some ground there!!
STEVE ITS GMO IM ON!!
As an armchair GM, I say we Trade our first and 3rd for Kolb ( I live in Philly and hear that will be the price ) and Keep Troy and Davis. We dump Alex ( maybe try to keep the third and give Philly Alex for a back up ) and Carr. Then we spend the Second rounder on best corner available.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
As an armchair GM, I say we Trade our first and 3rd for Kolb ( I live in Philly and hear that will be the price ) and Keep Troy and Davis. We dump Alex ( maybe try to keep the third and give Philly Alex for a back up ) and Carr. Then we spend the Second rounder on best corner available.

I agree, find a way to get Kolb in a Niners uniform. 1st and 3rd is fine with me.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 18, 2010 at 06:15:49 ]
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

One and a three for Kolb? Damn dude be careful you'll get crucified around here for bringing that up. I put up a poll about a month ago asking whether anyone would trade a first rounder for Kolb and I nearly got ran off the board, lol. I think the Niners should have traded for Kolb before the trading deadline when the iron was hot and his value wasn't as big as it is now, but that just my opinion. We'd be lucky to get Kolb for a first and a third after the season.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=145997&highlight=obx49

[ Edited by obx49 on Nov 18, 2010 at 06:10:46 ]
Share 49ersWebzone