There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do We still Draft of Sign a QB

• Axl49
  • Veteran
If Troy Smith finishes the season strong and with pretty good numbers. Playoffs dont matter cause we dont control our own destiny yet but say we barley miss or barley make the playoffs and Smith plays Good to damn good, Where do you guys think we stand at QB?
Yes without a doubt.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
If Troy Smith finishes the season with a stat line like he has now I see us picking up one later and not sooner in the draft.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Depends on who is coaching the team. But I would say yes, without a doubt if I was teh coach or GM.
Originally posted by Chief:
If Troy Smith finishes the season with a stat line like he has now I see us picking up one later and not sooner in the draft.

Yeah, if Troy leads us to the playoffs I'd slap a fat 'franchise' contract on him and go from there (then re-negotiate a new long-term contract during the 2011 season if he continues his success). -But draft a guy like Ricky Stanzi in the 2nd/3rd round for insurance (to develop at #2).
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Yes without a doubt.

This!

We need some serious depth at this position
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Yes without a doubt.

This. Look at our qb situation, Carr gtfo, Alex gtfo(if Troy continues), so that leaves us with Troy and ...... Nate. We re-sign Troy, if he continues like this he is our franchise qb and we draft a mid round qb and bring in a vet to toutor both rookie and Troy. If his play declines re-sign him and use a first or second round pick on a qb and bring in a vet.
Ether way we draft a qb as a safety net or a new hope.

[ Edited by 49ersNoKaOi on Nov 17, 2010 at 18:21:14 ]
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by Chief:

Yeah, if Troy leads us to the playoffs I'd slap a fat 'franchise' contract on him and go from there (then re-negotiate a new long-term contract during the 2011 season if he continues his success). -But draft a guy like Ricky Stanzi in the 2nd/3rd round for insurance (to develop at #2).

I was telling my friend the same thing. Stick with Troy and draft a qb in 3 or 5 round and see if we can develop one with raw skills. He kept telling me tho all good qbs will be gone by that point what an idiot.
I say yes. Don't reach and give up too much for a QB though. We have holes to fill. Tyler Bray is coming along and will be ready in about 2 more years if we don't get one this year.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
We find out by the end of this year whether we pick a QB early or late. The plan has basically stayed the same as it was from the beginning, it's just the other Smith we talking about now.

You gotta give the powers that be credit here, it was one smart move to bring in Troy Smith this year. If you ask me, my hunch is McC ended up getting run out of town because of the Carr/TSmith/QB issue, somehow. McC brought in Carr and I think the other power's wanted another QB on the roster other than or in addition to Carr, maybe even wanting TSmith specifically, and McC was getting in the way of that somehow....starting to screw that up somehow. Just a hunch.

Somebody had the foresight to go after TSmith, and I don't think McC was helping with it.

Something I don't know has been discussed It has occurred to me that we have had a close relationship with the Ravens. It would not surprise me if Sing (who has close ties to the Ravens) and Ballke had their eye on Troy and worked those close ties with the Ravens to get him on the 9ers. We know he spent the offseason on the road evaluating talent, we know he was immersed in that deeply. So it makes sense to me that he may have spent quite a bit of time looking at the QB...he did it with all the positions of need, why would he not do it with the QB position as well? He claimed AS was our QB, but hell, everybody and their brother knew that was dependent on what AS did this year. Sing knew it too, I am sure.

I mean, ask yourself this question: In Sings world, what would the ideal QB be?

In Sings eyes, the ideal QB would be like what TSmith appears to be, A playmaker, a leader, tough, in your face, fired up, elevates those around him, not afraid to go make a play, speak out, fearless, yet limits his mistakes. In short, a QB that has the mystical "it".

It's just too much of a damn coincidence that TSmith, who appears to be the ideal QB in Sing's world, somehow shows up on the 49er's.

So I don't know who was behind it, but somehow Sings version of the ideal QB ended up on our team. Coincidence?

If Troy continues to impress, other teams will seek his services, even an Ohio team, which he might prefer. If the franchise tag is available to us, I think you must pay the franchised player an amount equal to the average of the top three players at that position. WHo are the top three salaried QBs and what does their annual salary average? This could be a pretty steep number for a player who only has 1/2 of a season of history. Our York owners may balk at that.
can't crown troy yet. But it would be in the team's best interest to see him do well. That means we can get what we really need in the first round (a CB) and draft a QB in the later rounds.
someone post the boast 8 ball...only that would tell us.

MY hope is Troy works out, starts for 1-2 years over the QB we draft this year.
Originally posted by RonMexico:

Barley