There are 164 users in the forums

The Ryan Mallett Bandwagon

Originally posted by WillistheWall:

I have watched him play a lot and read on some sites that he's percieved wrong, his teammates like him a lot and he works really hard. I'm also not sure where people are getting the idea that he's such a jerk? It's not like he's gotten punched in the face like Jimmy Clausen or been acting like Matt Leinart.

Another message board I post on has a member who works with the team - fancy name for waterboy probably.

This was his exact quote about Mallett

"He's a dick. Cockiest, arrogant, rudest SOB I've ever met. But once you get to know him, he's awesome. He's smart, confident, and a born leader."

Now I know it says "once you get to know him" but that's still a concern in my book because one of the knocks on him has been that he's reserved from his own teammates and media.

It could be nothing but like I said, it does remind me of Leaf.
He's a Cutler type QB and that is not a knock i'd rather have a Cutler type than a Jamarcus type. I would be extremely pleased if we drafted him and a day later dumped lil Alex on his lil a$$.
I've seen Mallett for2 years now and he's inconsistent. He does have a big arm and played in big games.
Andrew Luck is the Gem if he comes out but even at that i would be a long shot to move up to the top spot to get him

So i say..............Id rather have Ryan Mallet instead of Jake locker

Originally posted by genus49:

I have watched him play a lot and read on some sites that he's percieved wrong, his teammates like him a lot and he works really hard. I'm also not sure where people are getting the idea that he's such a jerk? It's not like he's gotten punched in the face like Jimmy Clausen or been acting like Matt Leinart.

Another message board I post on has a member who works with the team - fancy name for waterboy probably.

"He's a dick. Cockiest, arrogant, rudest SOB I've ever met. But once you get to know him, he's awesome. He's smart, confident, and a born leader."

Now I know it says "once you get to know him" but that's still a concern in my book because one of the knocks on him has been that he's reserved from his own teammates and media.

This also sounds like Philip Rivers. That guy is a massive dbag
Originally posted by aman49:

I love Philip Rivers' attitude. Its that 'I don't give a f**k what you say cuz I'm gonna be me' attitude.

That alone isn't enough to warrant a comparison to Leaf imo. And given the fact that he's probably a waterboy, grad-school assistent or whatever, a QB isn't likely to go out of his way to introduce himself to him. I wouldn't read too much into things here.

Honestly he reminds me quite a bit of Matt Stafford. I think they're pretty comparable imo.
Originally posted by niner4life21:

I love Philip Rivers' attitude. Its that 'I don't give a f**k what you say cuz I'm gonna be me' attitude.

Everyone who spends any time around Alex Smith says he's the nicest guy ever. But that hasn't translated into wins, has it?

I get us annoyed with d!ckhead pro athletes as much as anyone else out there. But I want a QB that will win here, and sometimes those d!ckheads get things done.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
The "dbag" rep started at Michigan and that was when he realized RichRod was going in the complete opposite direction from what he had played in and wanted to continue playing in. Naturally if even unintentionally he probably acted like any 18/19 year old would and got pretty mouthy and wanted out.
However if you search a bit you'll find that while at Arkansas he has been doing charity work and has earned a class reputation there.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Andrew Luck is the Gem if he comes out but even at that i would be a long shot to move up to the top spot to get him

So i say..............Id rather have Ryan Mallet instead of Jake locker

Right on.

Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by niner4life21:

Everyone who spends any time around Alex Smith says he's the nicest guy ever. But that hasn't translated into wins, has it?

I get us annoyed with d!ckhead pro athletes as much as anyone else out there. But I want a QB that will win here, and sometimes those d!ckheads get things done.

If memory serves me correctly, didnt Aaron Rodgers kinda get that rep before the 05 draft, the "Im the big man on campus" attitude and that is one reason why the 49ers picked Mr. Nice Guy Alex Smith? How did that work out for us? I dont care if Mallet is a prick or not, if he wins football games, Ill take him!!

My thoughts exactly...Phil Rivers II
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

That alone isn't enough to warrant a comparison to Leaf imo. And given the fact that he's probably a waterboy, grad-school assistent or whatever, a QB isn't likely to go out of his way to introduce himself to him. I wouldn't read too much into things here.

Honestly he reminds me quite a bit of Matt Stafford. I think they're pretty comparable imo.

Maybe...just a bad vibe I get from the guy. I'd love to be wrong but I don't think he drops to us anyway.

Maybe it is just a competitive fire and maybe he's growing up. I don't want a guy who's distracted by butterflies or anything like that but I also want someone who doesn't rub his teammates the wrong way and just inspires them.
Drew Bledsoe 2.0....I'll pass

Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
Drew Bledsoe 2.0....I'll pass

You're right. Who wants a 4-time Pro Bowler anyway?

I'll take a Drew Bledsoe over the QBs we've had since Garcia left ANY DAY.
Share 49ersWebzone