Because?

I'd also like to know??
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Of all the top QB prospects he ranks dead last for me

Because?

I'd also like to know??

Yeah, what's to like about a big, successful SEC QB, with a lazer, rocket arm??
he reminds me of a gun slinger, and to me he will throw way to many INTs in the NFL, want no part of him or Newton.

Locker or Devlin over them if no Luck.

Because?

I'd also like to know??

I identify the top prospects as Luck, Locker, Newton, Gabbert, and Mallett. The general consensus is that Luck is the top prospect, I think most would put Newton ahead of Mallett. McShay has Gabbert ahead of Mallett. Really the only thing I am saying that most people would disagree with is that I prefer Locker. Locker did not have the benefit of Arkansas' coaching or talent. And if he came out last year he perhaps is the 1st overall pick. A disappointing senior year to be sure, but I don't hold that against him as much as others. Still don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be opposed to us landing Mallett, just not as long as any of these other QBs are on the board. He doesn't seem as intelligent with his decision making or is as mobile as the rest of the class.

Because?

I'd also like to know??

I identify the top prospects as Luck, Locker, Newton, Gabbert, and Mallett. The general consensus is that Luck is the top prospect, I think most would put Newton ahead of Mallett. McShay has Gabbert ahead of Mallett. Really the only thing I am saying that most people would disagree with is that I prefer Locker. Locker did not have the benefit of Arkansas' coaching or talent. And if he came out last year he perhaps is the 1st overall pick. A disappointing senior year to be sure, but I don't hold that against him as much as others. Still don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be opposed to us landing Mallett, just not as long as any of these other QBs are on the board. He doesn't seem as intelligent with his decision making or is as mobile as the rest of the class.

if mcshay has gabbert ahead of mallett then i would like to have mallett over gabbert
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
he reminds me of a gun slinger, and to me he will throw way to many INTs in the NFL, want no part of him or Newton.

Locker or Devlin over them if no Luck.

Mallett has gotten away with it his whole life, particularily in college and in the SEC, no less. His TD-to-INT ratio compares to the best of them. He even broke records for having the most attempts (or completions) without an INT, can't remember exactly what it was for, but something to that effect. Plus, what I like the most is that he's poised and has improved each year. He'll probably have the strongest arm in the league from the day he steps on the field. His footwork is an issue, but it's also one of the easier and more common things to fix for rookies.

Newton scares me because I don't trust that our offense/scheme can support his style. Given the right system, he'll flourish. With our current offense, he wouldn't stand a chance.

Locker scares the hell out of me because I'm tired of seeing guys get overrdrafting because of their potential. He's had every opportunity to prove himself in college and he continually didn't produce. Physically, he has the tools. He needs to learn to use them. I think he could develop into a fine pro, but I don't see him being successful early in his career.

Devlin could be good if he's brought along slowly. I'm not too high on him either though. He has the tools, but his numbers are inflated, IMO. He played against inferior competition and was the ultimate checkdown artist in the few games I've seen him play. He has a strong arm, but he's ultra conservative, to the point where he looks afraid to throw it into traffic.
big arm, pretty accurate (66.5%).... Reminds me of Big Ben! I'm on the bandwagon!
Originally posted by strickac:
Mallett has gotten away with it his whole life, particularily in college and in the SEC, no less.

The SEC is by far the most overrated conference in college football. Outside of the Manning bros. and Cutler what current NFL QBs are there? As many come totally nowhere like Roethlisberger (Miami, Ohio) Flacco (Delaware) and Romo (Eastern Illinois). Brees and Brady are from the Big 10. Rivers and Vick the ACC. Sanchez, Palmer, Cassell and Rodgers the Pac 10. Bradford and Freeman the Big 12. But face reality folks, you are no more likely to get a great QB from an SEC school than anywhere else.. the conference has no advantage in developing QB talent.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Mallett has gotten away with it his whole life, particularily in college and in the SEC, no less.

The SEC is by far the most overrated conference in college football. Outside of the Manning bros. and Cutler what current NFL QBs are there? As many come totally nowhere like Roethlisberger (Miami, Ohio) Flacco (Delaware) and Romo (Eastern Illinois). Brees and Brady are from the Big 10. Rivers and Vick the ACC. Sanchez, Palmer, Cassell and Rodgers the Pac 10. Bradford and Freeman the Big 12. But face reality folks, you are no more likely to get a great QB from an SEC school than anywhere else.. the conference has no advantage in developing QB talent.

So what does that mean, absolutely nothing (not trying to be rude). But just because only a few good QB's came out of the SEC, doesn't mean there won't be more. Look at Matt Flynn and Tim Tebow, both are young QB's out of the SEC, but are showing promise of becoming good QB's in this league. As for Ryan Mallet, hes got all the tools to be successful in the NFL, even you broke down film on him, there's nothing coaching can't fix with his negatives.
Originally posted by bkbkeahi:
Mallet may be the guy we look for at QB in this draft, if Luck is gone or does not come out.
Look at the highlights. Looks like a Aaron Rodgers/Roelisberer type

I totally agree!!!
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Because?

I'd also like to know??

if mcshay has gabbert ahead of mallett then i would like to have mallett over gabbert

Yep. mcshay is a bonehead.

So what does that mean, absolutely nothing (not trying to be rude). But just because only a few good QB's came out of the SEC, doesn't mean there won't be more. Look at Matt Flynn and Tim Tebow, both are young QB's out of the SEC, but are showing promise of becoming good QB's in this league. As for Ryan Mallet, hes got all the tools to be successful in the NFL, even you broke down film on him, there's nothing coaching can't fix with his negatives.

That was exactly my point. I was responding to a post claiming coming from the SEC actually meant something.