LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 311 users in the forums

The Christian Ponder Bandwagon

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Only problem is when is the last time a FSU QB was successful in the NFL?

From Wikipedia: Add Adrian McPherson to the list...
McMillan • Tensi • Hammond • Cappleman • Huff • McManus • Ferguson • Willis • Johnson • Weldon • Ward • Kanell • Busby • Weinke • Rix • Sexton • Weatherford • Lee •

You answered you're own question.

Brad Johnson.
2x Pro Bowler and Super Bowl winner.
He was an active NFL player in 2008, although past his prime. Really not that long ago.

1 out of 15 is not good enough pal

If it was 0 out of 15 it would still mean dick, pal. You think Bill Polian thought about not selecting Peyton Manning because of the lack of success Tennessee QB's have had in the NFL?
Originally posted by Gavintech:

McMillan • Tensi • Hammond • Cappleman • Huff • McManus • Ferguson • Willis • Johnson • Weldon • Ward • Kanell • Busby • Weinke • Rix • Sexton • Weatherford • Lee •

Brad Johnson.
He was an active NFL player in 2008, although past his prime. Really not that long ago.

If it was 0 out of 15 it would still mean dick, pal. You think Bill Polian thought about not selecting Peyton Manning because of the lack of success Tennessee QB's have had in the NFL?

Not only that but Jimbo Fisher has only been there and running the offense since, SURPRISE! 2007. Ponder is the first Florida State NFL prospect (QB) of the Fisher era so comparing previous FSU QB's is even MORE meaningless than it already was.
he is not as good looking as Alex

Brad Johnson.

LOL. Exactly. We can play this silly game with 100 QBs.

Sam Bradford?

What good QBs have come from Oklahoma?

Danny Bradley, Jamelle Holieway, Steve Collins, Cale Gundy, Brandon Daniels, Josh Heupel, Jason White, Paul Thompson...

Get the picture?

Brad Johnson.

Sam Bradford?

Danny Bradley, Jamelle Holieway, Steve Collins, Cale Gundy, Brandon Daniels, Josh Heupel, Jason White, Paul Thompson...

Get the picture?

Yep,

We can do the same thing with Cal/Aaron Rodgers, what NFL success stories from Cal do we have before him? Steve Bartkowski?!?!?!

We can easily keep going down this road...

Brad Johnson.

Sam Bradford?

Get the picture?

Yep,

We can do the same thing with Cal/Aaron Rodgers, what NFL success stories from Cal do we have before him? Steve Bartkowski?!?!?!

We can easily keep going down this road...

You can also assume he would prefer one of the other QB prospects in this draft, but who was the last successful QB from Missouri, Washington, Arkansas, Auburn, Iowa, or TCU?

DELAWARE has the best recent track record of QBs in this draft with Joe Flacco/Pat Devlin. Auburn would be 2nd with Jason Campbell.
[ Edited by Digger on Jan 21, 2011 at 8:44 AM ]
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Excellent 1st post!!

You make a pretty convincing case for slecting Ponder.. You are not the first to make this suggestion.

Thank you.

Ok-sorry, maybe I got a bit ahead of myself by saying "can't miss" lol, but I think there is value to be had with this kid. Especially if we can snag him in the 3rd. I think Devlin has the best mechanics but he plays is the spread, which scares me.
Btw I wouldn't take any of this years QBs in the first round. Just an overall lack of talent if you ask me. We could trade this years first for a second this year and a first next year....then package those two first round picks and trade for Luck wishful thinking.
Originally posted by DaveTheShocker:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Excellent 1st post!!

You make a pretty convincing case for slecting Ponder.. You are not the first to make this suggestion.

Thank you.

Ok-sorry, maybe I got a bit ahead of myself by saying "can't miss" lol, but I think there is value to be had with this kid. Especially if we can snag him in the 3rd. I think Devlin has the best mechanics but he plays is the spread, which scares me.

Yeah, the first post is good. I really think that Ponder makes poor decisions though. You can fix a lot of stuff but poor decision making is tough. I watched him a lot and really do not want him. If it happened later in the draft, ok. But not early.

This QB class now that Luck opted out is weak. Shame too.
Originally posted by DaveTheShocker:
Btw I wouldn't take any of this years QBs in the first round. Just an overall lack of talent if you ask me. We could trade this years first for a second this year and a first next year....then package those two first round picks and trade for Luck wishful thinking.

Originally posted by valrod33:

thats drew weatherford...
Originally posted by spizzy:

thats drew weatherford...

my point still stands

Ponder would be the fellow to the left, behind this aspiring shampoo model. As for Ponder himself....
Originally posted by Kenyonsdad:

Ponder would be the fellow to the left, behind this aspiring shampoo model. As for Ponder himself....

my left or your left
There is no such thing as a can't miss project. Put the QB with another team and they may fail. It is luck and a good coach compound with some good fit system to the QBs stron suit.
Share 49ersWebzone