LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

The Christian Ponder Bandwagon

Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Only problem is when is the last time a FSU QB was successful in the NFL?

From Wikipedia: Add Adrian McPherson to the list...
McMillan • Tensi • Hammond • Cappleman • Huff • McManus • Ferguson • Willis • Johnson • Weldon • Ward • Kanell • Busby • Weinke • Rix • Sexton • Weatherford • Lee •

I hate this argument. People use to say this about California too until Aaron Rodgers blew up. All those QBs before Ponder came from the Bowden era.

You forgetting Kapp, Morton, Bartkowski? To a lsser extent Ferragamo (1 year starter)
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Ponder's a chump

I like Ponder but he is way to damn fragile. He get broken like Pat White.
I really like SCOTT TOLZIEN of wisconsin...and not just because I'm a badger fan! I think he'd be perfect for the WCO. He's deadly accurate, and averaged quarterback ratings in the 140's! His senior year at WISC, he had a completion percentage of 72.9, 2459 yards, 9.24 YPA, 16TD's with 6 ints. This was in a RUN first offense. Wisc runs, runs, and then runs some more. He can be had in the 3rd or 4th, and I think he's a steal. He's obviously smart with the ball, and his accuracy is just what we need for the WCO. He also played against some decent defenses in his college carreer. Iowa, mich state, ohio state,..etc. He could sit behind a vet for a year or 2, and learn the WCO..we could spend our higher pics on CB and passrush..either way, a rookie QB will be sitting for at least a year..and TOLZIEN has as much upside as any..IMHO
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Only problem is when is the last time a FSU QB was successful in the NFL?

From Wikipedia: Add Adrian McPherson to the list...
McMillan • Tensi • Hammond • Cappleman • Huff • McManus • Ferguson • Willis • Johnson • Weldon • Ward • Kanell • Busby • Weinke • Rix • Sexton • Weatherford • Lee •

You answered you're own question.

Brad Johnson.
2x Pro Bowler and Super Bowl winner.
He was an active NFL player in 2008, although past his prime. Really not that long ago.

So 1 out of the 19 on the list? Not knocking Ponder but that's something to consider IMO

Could be 2 out of 20. I think if hes available in the 2nd we should grab him.
nfldraftscout New Era Scouting
Expect the #49ers and #Redskins to take a hard look at FSU QB Christian Ponder in round 3-4
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Expect the #49ers and #Redskins to take a hard look at FSU QB Christian Ponder in round 3-4

I was thinking that if he was there in 4-5 then he would be worth taking a chance on. I like the idea of getting 2 QB's in this draft; 1 early and 1 mid to late... Ponder would be good value in the 5th IMO
Originally posted by D_Niner:

I was thinking that if he was there in 4-5 then he would be worth taking a chance on. I like the idea of getting 2 QB's in this draft; 1 early and 1 mid to late... Ponder would be good value in the 5th IMO

So would an OG who can take Chilo's spot

This is a very real possibility, IMO. Ponder fits the mold of a Harbaugh-type of QB:

~Athletic instincts
~Accuracy
~Timing
~Decision-making

Chan Gailey on his QBs:

“I think that it’s an interesting group,” said Gailey. ”Christian (Ponder) is probably the more prototypical quarterback size-wise. He’s the taller, bigger of the three. He has a good arm. I’m glad to see that his arm problems look to be behind him. He’s thrown the ball well and probably thrown the deep ball better than any of them to this point.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

This is a very real possibility, IMO. Ponder fits the mold of a Harbaugh-type of QB:

~Athletic instincts
~Accuracy
~Timing
~Decision-making

Chan Gailey on his QBs:

“I think that it’s an interesting group,” said Gailey. ”Christian (Ponder) is probably the more prototypical quarterback size-wise. He’s the taller, bigger of the three. He has a good arm. I’m glad to see that his arm problems look to be behind him. He’s thrown the ball well and probably thrown the deep ball better than any of them to this point.

Do you think Christian Ponder will last until our 4th round pick?
Originally posted by PTulini:

~Athletic instincts
~Accuracy
~Timing
~Decision-making

Chan Gailey on his QBs:

He should, but I don't think he will given how many teams need QBs.

Originally posted by PTulini:

~Athletic instincts
~Accuracy
~Timing
~Decision-making

Chan Gailey on his QBs:

He should, but I don't think he will given how many teams need QBs.

I be pretty happy with him or Dalton in the 4th. If we could get a QB in the 4th and get our CB, pass rusher and a BPA, maybe a Titus Young, with our first 3 picks, I'd be pretty stoked.

What a throw... Didnt Bill Walsh look for that assesment in a QB (rolling out on the run to the left throwing accurate passes)? I could have swore I read that before.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

What a throw... Didnt Bill Walsh look for that assesment in a QB (rolling out on the run to the left throwing accurate passes)? I could have swore I read that before.

lolz and people say he has a weak arm. A few months ago I said he would be the best Qb in this class and if he stays healthy I'm sticking by that prediction. He fits our system perfectly.
Originally posted by Byisgod:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

lolz and people say he has a weak arm. A few months ago I said he would be the best Qb in this class and if he stays healthy I'm sticking by that prediction. He fits our system perfectly.

yeah that throw is very impressive... Who knows if he stays healthy he could be a gem.
can there be another hot commodity in SF via FSU...
Share 49ersWebzone