LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

The Christian Ponder Bandwagon

Originally posted by DaveTheShocker:
After carefully evaluating all the QB prospects entering the draft, I think I have found the perfect fit for this team, and Jim Harbaughs offense. He's a guy that has been casually mentioned here and there, and I think we would be reluctant to pass up on him. Christian Ponder, FSU.

I think out of all the QBs coming out this year, he looks like he will be the best pure passer. None of the projected first round quarterbacks are worthy of a top 10 pick, let alone our number 7. The most important part of evaluating a quarterback is what he does from the snap to the release, and everything in between.

-Snap
-First step into your drop back.
-Smoothe footwork
-Scanning the field/matchups during the drop back and NOT after dropping back.
-Clean plant at the back end of your dropback (not bouncing too much)
-Step up to buy more time if necessary.
-Find target....fire.

I think the biggest upside to Ponder is that he is almost mechanically flawless, which is the most important foundation. Everything else can be taught. Ponder excels because of his smoothe mechanics, not to mention he's a natural leader, smart, and deceivingly athletic. As far as judging alex smith, I knew from day one he wouldn't pan out because he just didn't have the solid mechanics to play the position at the pro level, but lets not get too off topic.

I was watching old Montana playoff games (God I wish we had him back) and I think Ponder has alot of the same qualities that a young Joe did. Similar size, accurate, enough arm strength and scrambling ability to get the job done, great awareness, pocket presence. If we want the west coast offense back in SF, which obviously Harbaugh is bringing, I think the perfect man for the job is Christian Ponder. He should be available in the second round, we should definitely make a push for him.

This is a great analysis and is EXACTLY what I see when I watch Ponder. He doesn't have all the sexy tools (size, strength, etc) people look for in a QB (see: Russel, JaMarcus) but all the ones an NFL QB actually needs and enough of the sexy ones to make it all work too. I'm a little too young to remember a young Joe (I was 5 when we finally beat the Cowboys and went to the SB, which is my earliest memory in life) but I can see the comparison.
Rather have Cam Newton over any QB in the draft. He fits Harbaughs offense perfectly too.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
After carefully evaluating all the QB prospects entering the draft, I think I have found the perfect fit for this team, and Jim Harbaughs offense. He's a guy that has been casually mentioned here and there, and I think we would be reluctant to pass up on him. Christian Ponder, FSU.

I think out of all the QBs coming out this year, he looks like he will be the best pure passer. None of the projected first round quarterbacks are worthy of a top 10 pick, let alone our number 7. The most important part of evaluating a quarterback is what he does from the snap to the release, and everything in between.

-Snap
-First step into your drop back.
-Smoothe footwork
-Scanning the field/matchups during the drop back and NOT after dropping back.
-Clean plant at the back end of your dropback (not bouncing too much)
-Step up to buy more time if necessary.
-Find target....fire.

I think the biggest upside to Ponder is that he is almost mechanically flawless, which is the most important foundation. Everything else can be taught. Ponder excels because of his smoothe mechanics, not to mention he's a natural leader, smart, and deceivingly athletic. As far as judging alex smith, I knew from day one he wouldn't pan out because he just didn't have the solid mechanics to play the position at the pro level, but lets not get too off topic.

I was watching old Montana playoff games (God I wish we had him back) and I think Ponder has alot of the same qualities that a young Joe did. Similar size, accurate, enough arm strength and scrambling ability to get the job done, great awareness, pocket presence. If we want the west coast offense back in SF, which obviously Harbaugh is bringing, I think the perfect man for the job is Christian Ponder. He should be available in the second round, we should definitely make a push for him.

This is a great analysis and is EXACTLY what I see when I watch Ponder. He doesn't have all the sexy tools (size, strength, etc) people look for in a QB (see: Russel, JaMarcus) but all the ones an NFL QB actually needs and enough of the sexy ones to make it all work too. I'm a little too young to remember a young Joe (I was 5 when we finally beat the Cowboys and went to the SB, which is my earliest memory in life) but I can see the comparison.

Im only 22, but I've watched all the old niners playoff games and super bowls. I'm definitely not saying this is the next montana lol, but they share some qualities. Joe was an excellent decision maker though, which us ponders biggest downside.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Rather have Cam Newton over any QB in the draft. He fits Harbaughs offense perfectly too.

Not me. I am not down with Newton.. And what makes you think he fits Harbaugh's WCO derived offense??
cam newton...see: vince young, jamarcus russell, troy smith, and all the other rejects who run to the left but throw right.
Another Christian Ponder thread

In Fuking Credible.

Can We PLEASE merge all the Ponder threads?
cam newton...see: vince young, jamarcus russell, troy smith, and all the other rejects who run to the left but throw right.

your argment is invalrod if that is all you got.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Not me. I am not down with Newton.. And what makes you think he fits Harbaugh's WCO derived offense??

His arm,mobility,poise and how quickly he can digest then execute a playbook.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Only problem is when is the last time a FSU QB was successful in the NFL?

From Wikipedia: Add Adrian McPherson to the list...
McMillan • Tensi • Hammond • Cappleman • Huff • McManus • Ferguson • Willis • Johnson • Weldon • Ward • Kanell • Busby • Weinke • Rix • Sexton • Weatherford • Lee •

Why is he held responsible for past guys? He is his own person and player. Players need to be evaluated individually. He's not the same type of player as a lot of those BTW.
Love a HEALTHY Ponder.

Wish that existed.

Ponder is 3rd on my list:

Andy Dalton
Greg McElroy
Chris Ponder
I'm with you Tex.

McEllroy, Dalton and Ponder are ideal WCO QBs for the Niners in the forthcoming draft.
do not want ponder, no thanks.
Ponder's a chump
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Only problem is when is the last time a FSU QB was successful in the NFL?

From Wikipedia: Add Adrian McPherson to the list...
McMillan • Tensi • Hammond • Cappleman • Huff • McManus • Ferguson • Willis • Johnson • Weldon • Ward • Kanell • Busby • Weinke • Rix • Sexton • Weatherford • Lee •

I hate this argument. People use to say this about California too until Aaron Rodgers blew up. All those QBs before Ponder came from the Bowden era.
Share 49ersWebzone