LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

What do y'all think of Cam Newton?

Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
I like this kid....he can Run and Throw...I think if Luck comes out they're going to be 4 really good QB's and Newton is one of them...hands down.
we already have such a QB with troy smith.

he is soooo small that he has no choice but to run to throw....Smith = 6 feet. Cam = 6'6
This kid is going to fly up the boards like Iupati did from the second round except I see him going higher in a QB needy draft. Don't be surprised if it goes Luck, Mallett, Newton and then Locker.

When he comes out, he most likely will be a top 15 pick...just saying...

I can see us targeting him especially if both Peterson and Amukamara are gone with Lucker and Mallett.

IDK on this one guys. We need a QB badly as well as a CB, but you can still get a pretty good one at the top of the second. I can't say that about the QBs.

We will get one of these four. That is almost assured now. I know BPA, but it's in a position of need.
If we see the headache known as Vince Young cause a franchise to tank, even with a good head coach, imagine how much of a nightmare Newton is going to be. This guy has zero character. He's a thief, cheat, and liar. Not the face of the franchise I am looking for.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
If we see the headache known as Vince Young cause a franchise to tank, even with a good head coach, imagine how much of a nightmare Newton is going to be. This guy has zero character. He's a thief, cheat, and liar. Not the face of the franchise I am looking for.

haha, yeah right, like anyone knew that VY would be the Little Boy Who Could Never Grow Up.

Also, the sentences I bolded are just stupid man. I know you like to be all inflammatory and make extreme statements but give me a break. ZERO character? Because of some allegations that, even if proven, tell us nothing about who Cam Newton is as a person. And before we get into the blah blah blah about how "cheating on tests" shows "poor moral fiber"--i say who gives a s**t? The kids going to be a pro football player, he's already doing it for free, and I could not care less if he doesn't know biology or history or whatever. Who cares?
Originally posted by HessianDud:

haha, yeah right, like anyone knew that VY would be the Little Boy Who Could Never Grow Up.

Also, the sentences I bolded are just stupid man. I know you like to be all inflammatory and make extreme statements but give me a break. ZERO character? Because of some allegations that, even if proven, tell us nothing about who Cam Newton is as a person. And before we get into the blah blah blah about how "cheating on tests" shows "poor moral fiber"--i say who gives a s**t? The kids going to be a pro football player, he's already doing it for free, and I could not care less if he doesn't know biology or history or whatever. Who cares?

Bc those are risky picks

Because he bought a stolen laptop unknowingly when he was 18? He cheated on a few tests in classes? Who hasn't? And that his dad is a dueche bag pimp trying to sell his son to another school behind his back? Check the facts MD...the MSSU is still ongoing but it is his dad, not him.
Originally posted by ninertico:
This kid is going to fly up the boards like Iupati did from the second round except I see him going higher in a QB needy draft. Don't be surprised if it goes Luck, Mallett, Newton and then Locker.
whoever takes newton over locker, will be the laughing stock in the nfl :D

Hey, perfect fit!!!

I keed I keed!
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

Because he bought a stolen laptop unknowingly when he was 18? He cheated on a few tests in classes? Who hasn't? And that his dad is a dueche bag pimp trying to sell his son to another school behind his back? Check the facts MD...the MSSU is still ongoing but it is his dad, not him.

Cheating on tests in college says nothing about him?

1.) Either it shows that he is too stupid to understand basic subjects required by higher level education or he is unable to put in the effort to overcome a challenge and would rather take a shortcut. Both counts do not bode well for a prospect NFL QB.

2.) It shows that he has little respect for authority and sees no problem breaking the law if he thinks he can get away with it. That isn't a good attribute to have as a NFL player or as a human being.

3.) It's not like he was in junior high or high school, where he might have not known better. He was an adult who should have learned that one should not try to take shortcuts in life and that one should have some respect for authority.

Hey, perfect fit!!!

I keed I keed!

Who ever takes either will be drafting another QB in 4 years, Locker has regressed so much this year I'm not sure he's worth a 1st round pick anymore. Good news is that we look like a lock to land Luck or Mallett. I love me my niners, but at this point I would rather tank the season and get one of those two QB's than have a meaningless 3-4 game rally and have to take a chance on any of the other QB's.

Cam was going to go before a University of Florida disciplinary board to possibly be expelled for cheating not once, but twice on the same college paper, one that he purchased online. Having been a university professor, that IS a big deal. He jumped ship from Florida instead of standing before this board.

As for the question: Who hasn't (cheated on a few tests)? Are you serious? A guy who cheats not once, but twice on the same assignment is a person with bad character, period. It shows a total lack of acceptance of personal responsibility, and a disregard for doing the right thing.

As for the laptop, he was arrested. Here is what the Smoking Gun states: "After Newton, now 21, admitted being in possession of the hot computer, he was placed into a pre-trial intervention program that ended last December with all charges against him being dropped."

As for the ongoing investigation, do you honestly believe he was out of the loop, and has no knowledge that his dad was attempting to make money off of him.

These are the facts.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Nov 22, 2010 at 19:31:56 ]

Cam was going to go before a University of Florida disciplinary board to possibly be expelled for cheating not once, but twice on the same college paper, one that he purchased online. Having been a university professor, that IS a big deal. He jumped ship from Florida instead of standing before this board.

As for the question: Who hasn't (cheated on a few tests)? Are you serious? A guy who cheats not once, but twice on the same assignment is a person with bad character, period. It shows a total lack of acceptance of personal responsibility, and a disregard for doing the right thing.

As for the laptop, he was arrested. Here is what the Smoking Gun states: "After Newton, now 21, admitted being in possession of the hot computer, he was placed into a pre-trial intervention program that ended last December with all charges against him being dropped."

As for the ongoing investigation, do you honestly believe he was out of the loop, and has no knowledge that his dad was attempting to make money off of him.

I bet 90% of all players in the NFL and NCAA have cheated on tests....dont be that naive to think that everyone doesnt cheat, or hasnt cheated.

he had owned up to his mistake of buying a computer without asking questions about it. he didnt know it was stolen, although he should of buying it from someones car trunk.

all the reports say it was all his father, until proven otherwise, why judge him?, when it is his dad that is the piece of crap.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

These are the facts.

Opinion not Fact

[ Edited by Jcool on Nov 22, 2010 at 19:38:30 ]
I would draft Newton but only if he dropped to the 2nd round. He has intangibles you can't teach but he's not ready. Anyone one you draft in the 1st round, especially in the Niners case, needs to be able to contribute right away and Newton would be better off being eased in ala Tebow

When he comes out, he most likely will be a top 15 pick...just saying...

I can see us targeting him especially if both Peterson and Amukamara are gone with Lucker and Mallett.

IDK on this one guys. We need a QB badly as well as a CB, but you can still get a pretty good one at the top of the second. I can't say that about the QBs.

We will get one of these four. That is almost assured now. I know BPA, but it's in a position of need.

A super quarterback?
Share 49ersWebzone