LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 290 users in the forums

What do y'all think of Cam Newton?

I don't want another Vince Young. If we get a guy like Newton, we really need to get some QB geniuses to groom him, much like Reid and Morninwheg did with Vick.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
I don't want another Vince Young. If we get a guy like Newton, we really need to get some QB geniuses to groom him, much like Reid and Morninwheg did with Vick.

I don't really want us to draft Newton--I think we have other holes that need to be filled--but a Morninwheg + Newton combo is really, really intriguing. Morningwheg is definitely one of the guys i hope we bring in to interview if Sing is gone.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

I don't really want us to draft Newton--I think we have other holes that need to be filled--but a Morninwheg + Newton combo is really, really intriguing. Morningwheg is definitely one of the guys i hope we bring in to interview if Sing is gone.

I like Morningwheg but I just see him as a OC not a HC.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Morninwheg
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by WildBill:
How long has he been playing? Not ready period for the NFL. Plus he is on a team loaded with talent, yes he pushes the team over the line from top 15 to top 10. However, his talent at this point in time is not conducive to the NFL game. Unlike the NBA, and particularly at QB, they need more seasoning. Also, I smell arrogance on his and his family's part and not the good kind of arrogance.

Well he did win 2009 NJCAA National Football Championship and was ranked the number one QB from either high school or junior college by Rivals.com, and he was their only 5-star QB recruit.

Also is this the new way to knock Cam Newton? That he is playing on this stacked team? They were not even a top 25 team to start the year.

They may not have started in the top 25 (if that is true), but Auburns program has always had talent. Its just that some people just didn't know how to judge. Don't get me wrong, he is talented QB, for college, just that right now he is suited for college QB, and not pros. If he played one more year and improves on what he does this year then...He is a QB that runs the ball, but can throw it decently to make you pay if you slide off your receiver to soon. In the pro game, the dbs are faster and smarter and you keep running, you will get creamed. I prefer a Qb that passing is his first strength but can get away for positive yards if no one is opened and chased out of the pocket.

Originally posted by redrathman:

yeah, fair enough, but the guy is a very good offensive mind, and sometimes it takes a colossal failure in order to learn how to do things right. I have no problem hiring a guy who has had one shot at being a HC that did not turn out well, if he has continued to stay in the league and perform at a high level as a coordinator. He has been assistant HC with Reid for the past several years and its hard to imagine that he hasn't learned a lot.

If it comes to it, I would love to see him come in for an interview.

yeah, fair enough, but the guy is a very good offensive mind, and sometimes it takes a colossal failure in order to learn how to do things right. I have no problem hiring a guy who has had one shot at being a HC that did not turn out well, if he has continued to stay in the league and perform at a high level as a coordinator. He has been assistant HC with Reid for the past several years and its hard to imagine that he hasn't learned a lot.

He chose to kick in overtime.....
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by WildBill:
How long has he been playing? Not ready period for the NFL. Plus he is on a team loaded with talent, yes he pushes the team over the line from top 15 to top 10. However, his talent at this point in time is not conducive to the NFL game. Unlike the NBA, and particularly at QB, they need more seasoning. Also, I smell arrogance on his and his family's part and not the good kind of arrogance.

Well he did win 2009 NJCAA National Football Championship and was ranked the number one QB from either high school or junior college by Rivals.com, and he was their only 5-star QB recruit.

Also is this the new way to knock Cam Newton? That he is playing on this stacked team? They were not even a top 25 team to start the year.

Anyone who says Auburn is a "stacked" team, doesn't watch much SEC football.

exactly....they would barely be a top 25 team with Kody Burns as their starter.
Didn't see anyone post this yet but Wes Bunting of The National Football Post recently wrote his views in Newton. I thought it was a good read:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Evaluating-Cam-Newtons-draft-stock.html

Originally posted by jojomellon:

so every decision he has ever made and will ever make again for the rest of his life will obviously be terrible.

I'm not saying I definitely want him to be our next HC. I'm just saying that he's the kind of darkhorse candidate we should be looking at if we hire a new HC.

so every decision he has ever made and will ever make again for the rest of his life will obviously be terrible.

I'm not saying I definitely want him to be our next HC. I'm just saying that he's the kind of darkhorse candidate we should be looking at if we hire a new HC.

Does he even call the plays in philly?

I thought reid was the HC/OC
Originally posted by ads_2006:

Does he even call the plays in philly?

I thought reid was the HC/OC

Reid called plays while Childress was there and the first year or two of Morninwheg, but last year or the year before he turned over play calling to Marty.
I like this kid....he can Run and Throw...I think if Luck comes out they're going to be 4 really good QB's and Newton is one of them...hands down.
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
I like this kid....he can Run and Throw...I think if Luck comes out they're going to be 4 really good QB's and Newton is one of them...hands down.
we already have such a QB with troy smith.

[ Edited by communist on Nov 22, 2010 at 09:31:28 ]
Share 49ersWebzone