LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

Quarterback Watch

I hope when Luck comes out, the Niners trade every pick we have for him if we have to. I hope we can get a CB this year. Then next year trade our draft just for the 1st pick and hire Harbaugh, I wouldn't be opposed. Hell if we can get Kellen Moore from Boise St. as our backup QB instead of Carr, I'd be the happiest 49er fan ever.
Edit: when im talking about qbs i tend to be harsh. I am comparing them to starting qbs at the average, all these guys could be Jim Sorgi. As a scout you arent looking for a backup, your looking for an all pro.

When you watch college QB's play, the first thing you have to look at is footwork, then accuracy. AFTER you look at the physical attributes. If a guy is just not big or strong enough to play in the NFL is doesnt matter how good his accuracy is. Think Gram Harrell or Ken Dorsey.
Locker is a complete waste of a pick, no matter where you get him. Never saw anything from him ever that made me think he could play in the NFL. Comparing him to Sam Bradford was just asinine, Sam was the best college qb i have seen since Phillip Rivers when it comes to accuracy and footwork.
Kellen Moore is the only one in college who does NFL calibur things, like reading coverages quickly and getting the ball out, but he is not have the physical attribues. For him to be a starter he would have to be as good a thrower and decision maker as Brees and i dont see that happening(fyi brees couldnt even throw a 5 yard slant route until his 4th year,y do you think they drafted rivers).
Ryan Mallett has the size and the arm, has decent touch. Has bad footwork, uses his arm to much instead of driving with his legs. You can get away with that in college but you will look like Jay Cutler doing that in the pros. Its not a deal breaker tho when you have the arm to makeup for it. It seems like a lot of his big plays come against a single high safety or cover 0 so i would like to see him read a defense and complete a pass against a zone. Tremendous potential, the only one i would consider drafting so far.
Cam Barker has outstanding size strength and mobility, but not much on field time. nothin more than a prospect.
Terrelle Pryor easily has the physical attribute but not the accuracy or the decision making ability to be a starter. For one im black so im not biased against him, i always thought VY would be a good player. But if you cant complete passes for a high percentage in college, then you WONT do it in the pros. I have never seen a guys completion % get significantly better in the pros. Thats why locker is trash and thats why pryor will play basketball or WR.
Andrew Luck gets a lot of praise from you west coasters, but against good teams he looks average. Doesnt complete a high percentage, and only does well with half field or half read plays. When he sets his feet to throw, his form is bad and usually results in a high throw when he is really trying to drive it in there(aka alex) Has very good touch on the ball though, a little slow with his feet. Wont be able to get away consistently in the pros he will get wrecked trying to do that. If he can inprove his accuracy beyond 10 yards he would be excellent.

I would absolutely not draft a qb unless i thought they had a good chance to become a franchise guy. I thought Eli, Ben and Rivers were all that guy. Rivers being at the top. I always have thought Alex could be that guy with the talent around him. Same with Rodgers. In the last 5 years, the only QBs i would have taken a risk on were VY and Flacco. I didnt think Ryan was that good, so obviously im not perfect but i think im pretty good at judging qbs. I like staffords toughness but no i wouldnt have drafted him, or sanchez. Freeman looks like the real deal, he will be the best qb from the 2009 class. Jimmy Clausen will get exposed very quickly. Sam Bradford is the absolute truth.

[ Edited by Bayerrya on Sep 22, 2010 at 06:03:40 ]
As of right now, Luck is without a doubt the top prospect with Mallett in second and Locker a distant third. Ponder has some game and then a sleeper prospect would be Jerrod Johnson out of Texas A&M.
I still haven't seen Luck play. I'll make it a point to watch him this season though. Locker seems like a developmental guy to me. He has all the physical tools, but I think he'll need to go to a team and sit behind a vet for a few years.

I catch a lot of SEC games and Mallett looks solid.
damn we would be picking too low for luck or mallett
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Luck is going 1 overall so forget about him. Even if we suck VERY bad we wont be that bad.
Originally posted by Bayerrya:
Edit: when im talking about qbs i tend to be harsh. I am comparing them to starting qbs at the average, all these guys could be Jim Sorgi. As a scout you arent looking for a backup, your looking for an all pro.

When you watch college QB's play, the first thing you have to look at is footwork, then accuracy. AFTER you look at the physical attributes. If a guy is just not big or strong enough to play in the NFL is doesnt matter how good his accuracy is. Think Gram Harrell or Ken Dorsey.
Locker is a complete waste of a pick, no matter where you get him. Never saw anything from him ever that made me think he could play in the NFL. Comparing him to Sam Bradford was just asinine, Sam was the best college qb i have seen since Phillip Rivers when it comes to accuracy and footwork.
Kellen Moore is the only one in college who does NFL calibur things, like reading coverages quickly and getting the ball out, but he is not have the physical attribues. For him to be a starter he would have to be as good a thrower and decision maker as Brees and i dont see that happening(fyi brees couldnt even throw a 5 yard slant route until his 4th year,y do you think they drafted rivers).
Ryan Mallett has the size and the arm, has decent touch. Has bad footwork, uses his arm to much instead of driving with his legs. You can get away with that in college but you will look like Jay Cutler doing that in the pros. Its not a deal breaker tho when you have the arm to makeup for it. It seems like a lot of his big plays come against a single high safety or cover 0 so i would like to see him read a defense and complete a pass against a zone. Tremendous potential, the only one i would consider drafting so far.
Cam Barker has outstanding size strength and mobility, but not much on field time. nothin more than a prospect.
Terrelle Pryor easily has the physical attribute but not the accuracy or the decision making ability to be a starter. For one im black so im not biased against him, i always thought VY would be a good player. But if you cant complete passes for a high percentage in college, then you WONT do it in the pros. I have never seen a guys completion % get significantly better in the pros. Thats why locker is trash and thats why pryor will play basketball or WR.
Andrew Luck gets a lot of praise from you west coasters, but against good teams he looks average. Doesnt complete a high percentage, and only does well with half field or half read plays. When he sets his feet to throw, his form is bad and usually results in a high throw when he is really trying to drive it in there(aka alex) Has very good touch on the ball though, a little slow with his feet. Wont be able to get away consistently in the pros he will get wrecked trying to do that. If he can inprove his accuracy beyond 10 yards he would be excellent.

I would absolutely not draft a qb unless i thought they had a good chance to become a franchise guy. I thought Eli, Ben and Rivers were all that guy. Rivers being at the top. I always have thought Alex could be that guy with the talent around him. Same with Rodgers. In the last 5 years, the only QBs i would have taken a risk on were VY and Flacco. I didnt think Ryan was that good, so obviously im not perfect but i think im pretty good at judging qbs. I like staffords toughness but no i wouldnt have drafted him, or sanchez. Freeman looks like the real deal, he will be the best qb from the 2009 class. Jimmy Clausen will get exposed very quickly. Sam Bradford is the absolute truth.

wow, good post. enjoyed that read.
Originally posted by Digger25:

Cosigned. I actually liked Freeman the best out of all the 2009 QBs, and I liked Flacco in 2008 more than Ryan. I'm not a fan of any of the QBs in this year's class either except maybe Luck or Mallett. I really don't want Pryor, he reminds everyone else of VY but I don't see it, I thought VY was a better passer and a better leader. Pryor is more of a pure athlete and he's not very accurate. I like Kellen Moore though, he might not be a starter on day 1 but he's got a lot of talent even though he doesn't have the best arm, it's not like he's got a Shaun Hill arm either. I think he'll be a good player.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Cosigned. I actually liked Freeman the best out of all the 2009 QBs, and I liked Flacco in 2008 more than Ryan. I'm not a fan of any of the QBs in this year's class either except maybe Luck or Mallett. I really don't want Pryor, he reminds everyone else of VY but I don't see it, I thought VY was a better passer and a better leader. Pryor is more of a pure athlete and he's not very accurate. I like Kellen Moore though, he might not be a starter on day 1 but he's got a lot of talent even though he doesn't have the best arm, it's not like he's got a Shaun Hill arm either. I think he'll be a good player.

We'll see what people think of Pryor after he wins the NC and possibly the Heisman as well
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

We'll see what people think of Pryor after he wins the NC and possibly the Heisman as well

Pryor has all the tools no doubt. But his decision making is poor, I swear he'd be in the hole if he didn't have a defense like that to back him up.

Originally posted by Kolohe:

Pryor has all the tools no doubt. But his decision making is poor, I swear he'd be in the hole if he didn't have a defense like that to back him up.

hes an athlete not a player whoever takes him has to have patience and good QB coaching otherwise there is no point in taking him
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

hes an athlete not a player whoever takes him has to have patience and good QB coaching otherwise there is no point in taking him

Yeah but he's just not a very accurate QB and he doesn't make very good decisions. I don't care about the Heisman, Troy Smith won the Heisman and he's a 3rd stringer in the NFL. Reggie Bush won it and he's a part time player in the NFL. He just sounds like a pissed off OSU fan who is mad I'm dissing his guy. It's not like I don't think Pryor's a good guy or anything I just don't think he's a great QB.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:

Luck is going 1 overall so forget about him. Even if we suck VERY bad we wont be that bad.

Not so fast because teams with the number one pick are always looking to trade down. If that Niners have to trade up to get Luck. Then that's just what they have to do.

Really? I think you need to remember Luck is only going into his second year starting, I'm willing to bet you are basing your opinion of him from the games you saw of him as a FROSH. The reason why Luck is getting so much praise is because how far along he is in his development despite being so young, really only Sam Bradford has been so far along in his development so early.

And bad footwork??? Thats one of the great things about Andrew Luck ... And his speed/athleticism is again one of his strengths as he really is deceptively quick. I would say his weaknesses are deep ball accuracy (sometimes he throws ducks deep) and he needs to be more consistent. But the biggest reason people rave about him is that his football IQ is off the charts.

And its no coincidence his best game (against Wake Forest) happened to coincide when finally got his only real play maker back (Owusu). Stanford doesn't have much offensive talent on their roster aside from Luck-Owusu.

And don't judge his accuracy on his stats alone, he is extremely smart with his ball placement and often puts it in places only the WR can make a play on it (15 games played, only 4 interceptions with 1 in his last 8 games).

And only Kellen Moore reads coverages? lol, have you even watched Luck play?
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Sep 23, 2010 at 1:15 AM ]
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by jreff22:

Not so fast because teams with the number one pick are always looking to trade down. If that Niners have to trade up to get Luck. Then that's just what they have to do.

I can't remember the last time a team successfully traded for the #1 overall pick.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone