Quarterback Watch

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Besides Luck, which QBs are most NFL ready? And by NFL ready, I mean able to come and start right away their rookie season.

IMO, it's possible that Mallett could start sometime late in his rookie year, but it won't be pretty. Though Locker might be able to grasp an NFL playbook, I have serious doubts he'd be able to execute at a high enough level.

The rest will need at least 1 full year (or more) before they're functional...again, just my opinion.

Basically my thoughts exactly. As I continue to say, every QB has some big issues they'll need to tune up before they really will be able to play at the NFL level. All QB's entering this draft have something that is worrisome. Mallett just terrifies me -- he's a boom or bust prospect, I feel.

I agree with you on Mallett. If he lands with the right team/coach/system, is allowed to develop slowly and has the right mental approach, he could be an absolute stud. He has all the tools to become a lethal pocket passer, along the lines of a Peyton Manning (IMO).

However, if any of the points mentioned above don't happen for him, he could turn into a real hot mess.

that team is gonna need to have a real good oline for mallet

We're going to need a real good OL to keep any QB healthy. I don't see why expecting our OLine to play well is such a big thing to ask, and why that should deter us from drafting certain QBs. They're all first and 2nd round picks, it's put up or shut up time for the OLine. Either play well under a new coach or GTFO. I mean dang bro, you need a good OL regardless or you're going to suck.

im willing to bet that our oline sucked a lot due to having 2 rookies and having an inept coaching staff. i expect other than rachel who to me is a lost cause to come out much better as a unit next yr with the new staff

Agreed. Would be nice if we could send Rachal to seattle along with Scott Mcclueless and his old coach, Pete Careless. We might be able to trick them. But I think if another year with them staying mostly in tact as an OL and under better coaching, with a better offensive scheme they should be better.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
In looking up info on Matt Ryan (for another post) I came across Dominique Davis, who seems to have had a very similar career to Cam Newton and to my surprise played against him last season. He started off his career in 2008 with Boston College, but was suspended for academic reasons in June 2009 and decided to transfer.

He announced his decision to transfer to Fort Scott Community College, where he was going to play one season and transfer back to a D1 school.

Davis helped lead Fort Scott Community College to its first Jayhawk Conference championship since 1974, defeating Butler (Kansas) Community College in the final game of the regular season. Butler had won the previous eight Jayhawk Conference championships.

Two weeks later, in a rematch, Davis' FSCC team defeated Butler, 13-12, to give the Greyhounds their first-ever Region VI Playoff championship. The Greyhounds were given the No. 1 ranking in the national poll and were matched up against No. 2 Blinn College (Texas) for the National Junior College Athletic Association national championship in the Citizens Bank Bowl on the campus of Pittsburg State University. Blinn rallied from a 26-10 deficit in the second half to win the game 31-26 on an 84-yard punt return with 15 seconds remaining.

As we all know the Quarterback on that Blinn team was none other than Cam Newton.

Davis transferred to East Carolina University for the 2010 season.

Quote:
He has established East Carolina single-season records in touchdown passes (36), attempts (552), completions (358) and passing yards (3,699) this fall. The 36 TD passes are tied for the sixth-most in a year by a Conference USA quarterback, while his attempts and completions this season are the second and third most, respectively, by a C-USA signal-caller. Davis leads C-USA in passing yards per game (308.2) and stands second in total offensive yards per game (320.1). He is one of four QBs at the FBS level averaging 300+ passing yards per game. Davis has accounted for 45 of the team's 58 offensive touchdowns and leads all FBS players in points per game responsible for (22.7) and completions per game (29.8) while tying for the lead in total touchdown passes (36).

He will play in the 2010 Military Bowl on December 29th, not quiet sure what kind of prospect he will be (6'3", 218lbs, Junior, 21 yrs old, 40 Time: 4.74), but now I have a reason to check out a game i would probably not care about.

Quote:
Junior QB Dominique Davis of East Carolina garnered the league's Newcomer of the Year award.

QB-Dominique Davis, Jr., East Carolina, has been selected All-Conference USA Honorable Mention for the 2010 college football season as selected by the league's 12 head football coaches.

Dominique Davis

First half:

18 attempts
26 completions
102 yards
69.2%
3.9 Y/A
1 Ints
I like quite a few qbs this draft. I think Luck, Gabbert, and Tolzien are some of them and there may be others of their stripe. I am not a Cam Newton or Mallet fan. Newton flings balls and they can be plus or minus ten yards from a reciever. I hope the niners do something like trade down and take a corner, draft Gabbert by trading a sec or third to get him in the first and then fill out the needs.
Share 49ersWebzone