There are 46 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Iupati over Bulaga??? WTF

Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Why would anyone rather project a high floor/low ceiling OT to OG over the consensus BEST OG in the draft? Why man? Stop it now! I'd understand maybe if we'd picked Pouncey instead. But we're talking about Iupati-----an absolute stud!

Happy with the picks...would have been happier with Bulaga -- maximizes the likelihood of a stud RT.

I'll admit I really REALLY wanted Bulaga. But I understand why Davis was the pick. Much higher ceiling player. I am still confused why we traded up for him though. Seems like a waste of a 4th round pick.

Word has it Miami was going to take him at 12.

Miami is set with Jake Long and Vernon Carey.....WHY in the world would they tie up high 1st round money in another OT...

Are they really set at RT with Carey?

He was resigned the last off season for big money so he wouldnt test Free Agency...Peter King even had VCarey as an All Pro this year. go look for yourself

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/01/04/awards/index.html
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
My only worry with Iupati is that it may take him a while to learn the nuances of the position, and the playbook. English is a second language to him, and he's only been playing football for a few years. That being said, hes a monster. Stronger and faster than Bulaga. Much longer reach. Plus he's Samoan, so thats a whole different kind of strength.

WTF are you thinking taking Bulaga after weve taken Davis? Your plan is to move him to guard? If he were a better fit we would have drafted him, and converted him to guard. Obviously the 9ers camp thought Iupati was such a talent that we chose not to trade down for extra picks. Get on board with Iupati or go find a Green Bay fan site.

You really don't get it. When tackles fail, they move to guard. Furthermore BOTH Bulaga AND Davis were guards in college initially.

So, you ensure AT LEAST ONE can play tackle and the other reverts back to guard.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,080
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Why would anyone rather project a high floor/low ceiling OT to OG over the consensus BEST OG in the draft? Why man? Stop it now! I'd understand maybe if we'd picked Pouncey instead. But we're talking about Iupati-----an absolute stud!

Happy with the picks...would have been happier with Bulaga -- maximizes the likelihood of a stud RT.

I'll admit I really REALLY wanted Bulaga. But I understand why Davis was the pick. Much higher ceiling player. I am still confused why we traded up for him though. Seems like a waste of a 4th round pick.

Word has it Miami was going to take him at 12.

Miami is set with Jake Long and Vernon Carey.....WHY in the world would they tie up high 1st round money in another OT...

They want to move Carey inside to guard.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Why would anyone rather project a high floor/low ceiling OT to OG over the consensus BEST OG in the draft? Why man? Stop it now! I'd understand maybe if we'd picked Pouncey instead. But we're talking about Iupati-----an absolute stud!

Happy with the picks...would have been happier with Bulaga -- maximizes the likelihood of a stud RT.

I'll admit I really REALLY wanted Bulaga. But I understand why Davis was the pick. Much higher ceiling player. I am still confused why we traded up for him though. Seems like a waste of a 4th round pick.

Word has it Miami was going to take him at 12.

Miami is set with Jake Long and Vernon Carey.....WHY in the world would they tie up high 1st round money in another OT...

Ummm cause MAYBE their Line sucks and they need some insurance? They DID run Wildcat more than should reasonably be expected after all. And their QBs' had to spend an awful lot of time riding Pine. Why spend alot of QBs' if your design is to run WC better than 50% of the season? It's cause you know you cannot protect them. Period.

Also when you have a guy like Davis on the board and you can convert him to Guard as well as move him to Tackle if you have to AND he looks like he's in your hip pocket(look where we drafted him) you take him if he drops to you. Instead we got him and they pulled the trigger within seconds of our being announced in connection to Davis. That's REALLY convenient timing for a trade if it's not what they were thinking of. And far as I am concerned when it comes to the draft there is NO SUCH MONKEY as a coinkydink. They were wearing their Lobster Bibs salivating over Davis imho. Instead they came away with a lone piece of left over shrimp from the buffet.

~Ceadder
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,080
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
My only worry with Iupati is that it may take him a while to learn the nuances of the position, and the playbook. English is a second language to him, and he's only been playing football for a few years. That being said, hes a monster. Stronger and faster than Bulaga. Much longer reach. Plus he's Samoan, so thats a whole different kind of strength.

WTF are you thinking taking Bulaga after weve taken Davis? Your plan is to move him to guard? If he were a better fit we would have drafted him, and converted him to guard. Obviously the 9ers camp thought Iupati was such a talent that we chose not to trade down for extra picks. Get on board with Iupati or go find a Green Bay fan site.

You really don't get it. When tackles fail, they move to guard. Furthermore BOTH Bulaga AND Davis were guards in college initially.

So, you ensure AT LEAST ONE can play tackle and the other reverts back to guard.

But why, NickBradley when we can just draft the best OG. Kind of backwards thinking. Iupat is a better guard than Bulaga will ever be.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Apr 22, 2010 at 9:22 PM ]
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
My only worry with Iupati is that it may take him a while to learn the nuances of the position, and the playbook. English is a second language to him, and he's only been playing football for a few years. That being said, hes a monster. Stronger and faster than Bulaga. Much longer reach. Plus he's Samoan, so thats a whole different kind of strength.

WTF are you thinking taking Bulaga after weve taken Davis? Your plan is to move him to guard? If he were a better fit we would have drafted him, and converted him to guard. Obviously the 9ers camp thought Iupati was such a talent that we chose not to trade down for extra picks. Get on board with Iupati or go find a Green Bay fan site.

You really don't get it. When tackles fail, they move to guard. Furthermore BOTH Bulaga AND Davis were guards in college initially.

So, you ensure AT LEAST ONE can play tackle and the other reverts back to guard.

so you're just going off of sheer probability here?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
As I posted earlier,

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=140809

If the 49ers wanted to take a guard AND a tackle, we could have easily taken Davis AND Bulaga, with the loser playing guard.

Even Jon Gruden stated on ESPN that he though Bulaga will end up being a pro-bowl guard.

So why did we pass and take Iupati instead.

My hunch is that the 49ers have Iupati rated higher as a run-blocker, which Singletary covets.

why are you listening to jon gruden? he said everyone that was drafted was going to be all pro. i hated listening to him. atleast mel kiper and todd mcshay critique players and not just say. I LOVE THIS GUY. HE'S AWESOME!
Nick, you are unbelievable! The Niners take the Outland Trophy winner at his natural position and you say WTF? By the way, nice prediction on Brandon Graham falling out of the first round, too. Only missed that prediction by 19 picks............
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Why would anyone rather project a high floor/low ceiling OT to OG over the consensus BEST OG in the draft? Why man? Stop it now! I'd understand maybe if we'd picked Pouncey instead. But we're talking about Iupati-----an absolute stud!

Happy with the picks...would have been happier with Bulaga -- maximizes the likelihood of a stud RT.

I'll admit I really REALLY wanted Bulaga. But I understand why Davis was the pick. Much higher ceiling player. I am still confused why we traded up for him though. Seems like a waste of a 4th round pick.

Word has it Miami was going to take him at 12.

Miami is set with Jake Long and Vernon Carey.....WHY in the world would they tie up high 1st round money in another OT...

They want to move Carey inside to guard.


I believe MM tweeted that the Niners were worried about another team cutting a deal with Miami to leapfrog us for Davis.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Nick, you are unbelievable! The Niners take the Outland Trophy winner at his natural position and you say WTF? By the way, nice prediction on Brandon Graham falling out of the first round, too. Only missed that prediction by 19 picks............

A person who talks a lot is sometimes right.~ Spanish Proverb

We are still waiting on the Sometimes right part from Nick.
I didn't want to believe it, but whoever said it was right -- someone would find even a great thing as something to complain about.

This is a terrific, just outstanding pickup for this team. I'm tired of not being able to convert 3rd and 4th and 1. Baas will be gone after next season. Perfect pick. Love it.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
My only worry with Iupati is that it may take him a while to learn the nuances of the position, and the playbook. English is a second language to him, and he's only been playing football for a few years. That being said, hes a monster. Stronger and faster than Bulaga. Much longer reach. Plus he's Samoan, so thats a whole different kind of strength.

WTF are you thinking taking Bulaga after weve taken Davis? Your plan is to move him to guard? If he were a better fit we would have drafted him, and converted him to guard. Obviously the 9ers camp thought Iupati was such a talent that we chose not to trade down for extra picks. Get on board with Iupati or go find a Green Bay fan site.

You really don't get it. When tackles fail, they move to guard. Furthermore BOTH Bulaga AND Davis were guards in college initially.

So, you ensure AT LEAST ONE can play tackle and the other reverts back to guard.

But why, NickBradley when we can just draft the best OG. Kind of backwards thinking. Iupat is a better guard than Bulaga will ever be.

Any tackle can play guard, not the other way around.

When you draft a player, you don't know if he's going to pan out. By getting two tackles, you ensure that you'll get one that can play the position -- and the other can play guard.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Nick, you are unbelievable! The Niners take the Outland Trophy winner at his natural position and you say WTF? By the way, nice prediction on Brandon Graham falling out of the first round, too. Only missed that prediction by 19 picks............

Yeah, missed that one. But some people missed on other picks, like Dan Williams and Kyle Wilson Falling. Or people that had Bulaga at #5.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Nick, you are unbelievable! The Niners take the Outland Trophy winner at his natural position and you say WTF? By the way, nice prediction on Brandon Graham falling out of the first round, too. Only missed that prediction by 19 picks............

A person who talks a lot is sometimes right.~ Spanish Proverb

We are still waiting on the Sometimes right part from Nick.

I wouldn't hold your breath................
Who wrote this

Bulaga @ 13 is probably the best we can hope for -- no way Williams or Okung fall that far.

But if we take Bulaga, perhaps we should take Iupati at 17. Bulaga will probably be an effective RT from day 1, but if he fails he will make an excellent Guard, like Robert Gallery. So if we take Iupati as well, we have another guard/tackle prospect.

Worst-case scenario: we end up with two pro-bowl guards
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home