There are 755 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Iupati over Bulaga??? WTF

Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Stop whining already.. We fixed our OL for the next decade.

What if Davis busts at OT and we have to guards???

See my point?

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with our picks. But it could have been better.

NickBradley, have you seen Iupati on tape? He just throws people aside like rag dolls. He's incredible, you'll like him man for the next 12 years.

Nice!!!!

Rachal will have some pancake competition

Anthony Davis will not be expected to be an LT

He can be comfortable as a road grader at RT. I still Like Alex Boone here.

Snyder, Wallace, Simms, Boone as backups
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Love me some Iupati

This.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

See my point?

what if bulaga busts and we end up with no guard and people can still rush us up the middle?

or you move bulaga to G. and davis busts, do you then switch bulaga back outside and have him learn a new technique? no you leave him at G and get another OT.

No -- the one who wins a camp battle starts at OT, loser plays guard. If Davis later busts, he moves to guard.

These guys are already converted guards!
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

See my point?

what if bulaga busts and we end up with no guard and people can still rush us up the middle?

or you move bulaga to G. and davis busts, do you then switch bulaga back outside and have him learn a new technique? no you leave him at G and get another OT.

No -- the one who wins a camp battle starts at OT, loser plays guard. If Davis later busts, he moves to guard.

These guys are already converted guards!

Boone gonna push Davis
As I posted earlier,

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=140809

If the 49ers wanted to take a guard AND a tackle, we could have easily taken Davis AND Bulaga, with the loser playing guard.

Even Jon Gruden stated on ESPN that he though Bulaga will end up being a pro-bowl guard.

So why did we pass and take Iupati instead.

My hunch is that the 49ers have Iupati rated higher as a run-blocker, which Singletary covets.

At least the Blackhawks won.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

See my point?

NickBradley, have you seen Iupati on tape? He just throws people aside like rag dolls. He's incredible, you'll like him man for the next 12 years.

...AT IDAHO. Look at their '09 schedule:

at New Mexico State
at Washington
San Diego State
at Northern Illinois
Colorado State
at San Jose State
Hawaii
at Nevada
Louisiana Tech
Fresno State
at No. 6 Boise State
Utah State
vs. Bowling Green

So, Iupati TOSSED AROUND SCRUBS.

He's good, man. Quit hating.

See my point?

...AT IDAHO. Look at their '09 schedule:

at New Mexico State
at Washington
San Diego State
at Northern Illinois
Colorado State
at San Jose State
Hawaii
at Nevada
Louisiana Tech
Fresno State
at No. 6 Boise State
Utah State
vs. Bowling Green

So, Iupati TOSSED AROUND SCRUBS.

He's good, man. Quit hating.

Just saying that a Big 10 tackle that many projects as a guard is a better pick than a guard from Idaho.
[ Edited by nickbradley on Apr 22, 2010 at 8:37 PM ]
Sorry we didnt get your man crush. I hear the Packers need more fans. Go over to them while we have a OLine finally.
Originally posted by j3xperience:
Sorry we didnt get your man crush. I hear the Packers need more fans. Go over to them while we have a OLine finally.

Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:
Originally posted by j3xperience:

I thought my man crush was on Earl Thomas???
I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to lose their mind.

Iupati is SOLID at Guard and has the LONGEST wingspan of any Lineman that I know of. Now put him on EITHER side of our Center and that's alot of in the middle protection for the QB and ULTIMATELY Frank.

What's not to like here? I agree that as a Tackle Iupati was a bit of a Reach. If I wanted TWO Tackles I would have taken Bulaga. But I want a Tackle and a Guard to fill out that unit and make some changes that solidify DEPTH where we had none going into the draft.

Snyder, Baas and Rachal. Was ANYONE so F'N inspired that they are 1st day Starters to dismiss such an obvious pick?

Holeeeeeeeeeeeey crap. If the WRm didn't put Linemen on the field people would have gone apesh*t. They put TWO on the field in the first day of the draft and a couple people are doing that. Hmmmmm lesser of two evils, one over many? I'm taking Linemen and screw what the minority think.

Oh yeah lets leverage the draft and trade up with both spots for a fan's pick. I didn't get Spiller and I'm ecstatic. Why? Cause my team finally pulled their collective heads out of their crack and got some protection for the QB. If you want Smith to fail then you don't put protection in front of him. If you finally want this to be resolved you put some Linemen in front of him and allow him to prove everyone wrong or right. You HAVE TO, or there was no F'N point of keeping him around. I don't EVER want to see my team be the reason a QB fails. You pick a team that took a 1st overall QB that didn't pan out and I'll PROVE, 9 out of 10 times the reason they failed was bad protection up front.

Please I don't mind. Start listing. I know my "bust QB" history. I'll own that topic.

~Ceadder
Why would anyone rather project a high floor/low ceiling OT to OG over the consensus BEST OG in the draft? Why man? Stop it now! I'd understand maybe if we'd picked Pouncey instead. But we're talking about Iupati-----an absolute stud!

What if Davis busts at OT and we have 2 guards???

See my point?

Then you move Rachal to tackle as was rumored when he was drafted
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Why would anyone rather project a high floor/low ceiling OT to OG over the consensus BEST OG in the draft? Why man? Stop it now! I'd understand maybe if we'd picked Pouncey instead. But we're talking about Iupati-----an absolute stud!

Happy with the picks...would have been happier with Bulaga -- maximizes the likelihood of a stud RT.