Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Clausen Propaganda Machine is Going Into Overdrive

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
They say, sometimes the best moves are the ones you DON'T make. The smart move would be to sit tight, grab two impact players at #13 and #17 and continue to build this team into a SB contender. To gamble again on a 1st round QB that many experts aren't completely sold on would just be repeating the Alex Smith mistake. This team is not in rebuilding mode anymore where we have 2-3 years to wait for a rookie QB to possibly develop...we're in the hunt for a division title and playoff spot THIS YEAR. We're on the cusp of returning this franchise to prominence, and people are talking about gambling with a 1st round QB?

Unbelievable.

Over the last few years, teams like Chicago, Washington, Houston and KC have been able to make upgrades to their QB position by trading for proven veterans...we can do the same if we're willing to be shrewd about it.

Question is, how shrewd is our front office? Are they really willing to go down that high draft pick rookie QB path again, given how close this team is?

so what happens if Alex fails next year?

Take a QB in the deepest QB class since 1999...or 1983.

who are the top dog's for next year draft anyways?

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=140490&highlight=nickbradley

Potential First Round Prospects:

Andrew Luck, Stanford
Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
Jake Locker, Washington
Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State
Pat Devlin, Delaware
Nick Foles, Arizona

Some have called Andy Luck the best NFL QB prospect since Peyton Manning (and as smart and polished), and Mallett (6-7, 250 jeff george-caliber arm) may be a once-a-decade type prospect as well...and Jake Locker is no slouch (Neither is Devlin, and Pryor could light up the combine like we've never seen). We could see 5 or 6 QB go in the first round next year...maybe seven.
? Will Smith convince everyone he is the long-term solution?

? Are all of those guys better than Clausen?

? Will the 49ers be drafting high enough to grab one?

? Will Frank Gore still be a productive back two years from now when the new rookie is an effective QB?

If the first question is not answered in the affirmative, then the second question means you will need a crystal ball and hope the answer to the third question is; "yes."
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
I wish their was a way we as fans could contact management & the owners so they could hear us out as fans & tell them "WE DONT WANT CLAUSEN" he is not worth trading up for he's not the next Manning nor Montana.

i really really hope this is just plain ol smoke screen's we are seeing

I wish they read the webzone. f**kin terrible idea to trade up for Clausen, TERRIBLE.
Originally posted by dj43:
I don't have a crystal ball with which to see Clausen. However, the basic strategy Tim K suggests is a good one; if you are not certain your current QB is the long-term guy, then the ammo you have with 13 & 17 is enough to get the guy who WILL be the long term guy.

Over the years, franchise QBs are taken very high in the draft. Yes, there are some exceptions but they are just that; exceptions.

I have long suggested Smith should get a chance behind a solid line, with targets to throw to, and an OC that is the same from one year to the next. Well, he had that last year, and was better than in the past but I am not convinced he is the long-term answer...yet. He may prove to be, however, as I sit here right now, if I WERE convinced that Clausen was the guy, and I'm not saying he isn't, then I would pull the trigger and make certain I have the future franchise QB. Smith had a fair chance last year but I don't think even Singletary is convinced yet that he is the long-term solution.

Chances like this do not come around often. The Carolina deal last year gave the 49ers the ammo to get the one premium guy they need to secure the future.

If I am Baalke, I talk to some clubs drafting in the top 7, and see if they are willing to deal on draft day. If they are, I sit tight to see what happens to the top OTs. If all three of the big names go early, I make the deal for Clausen and get a 2nd in exchange and then go for the second tier OT in the second round. The 49ers don't need to spend LT value for a RT. Trading up for a RT is NOT a good value but it would be for a QB that they think is the future.

One way or the other, Smith will be the QB for 2010. The question is; if Smith leaves after 2010, for whatever reason, would you be confident with David Carr and Nate Davis as the potential starters for 2011, OR would you prefer to have Jimmy Clausen in the mix. REMEMBER, all this assumes they get the RT they need in the second round, which I believe is doable.

I too agree with that concept in general. However, you have to really believe in that young QB to give up those picks for him...the more you look into Clausen, the less you are likely to be convinced that he's worth giving up two mid-1st rounders for.

There's a reason Shanahan (who knows QBs) pushed hard to grab the veteran McNabb, knowing that there was a high probability that Clausen would be there for them at #4. Clearly he felt he was better off taking his chances with a 33 year-old veteran rather than this supposed "blue-chip" QB out of Notre Dame.

That's not saying Clausen is terrible...it's more about value. Is Clausen REALLY a top-10 type of QB? Is he even a top 20 QB? There are a lot of people who see Clausen as more of a 2nd rounder, possibly closer to Colt McCoy than he is SM Bradford.

So to give up 2 1st rounder for someone who (IMO) really isn't worth it, seems both stupid and reckless.
My assumption is that I would get Clausen and a 2nd round pick (in the top 7) in exchange for 13 & 17. With the 2nd round pick you get a quality RT.

A lot to assume, and it all depends on how much you like Clausen.

Personally, I believe Smith WILL play well enough to get the team to the playoffs if the 49ers solve the RT problem. I won't say he will take them deep but he won't be dead weight either.
please let this be well thought up smokescreen.please. NO rookie qb will be a difference maker this year as much as OL or DB.wait till next year!!!
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Say we actually draft Clausen, what will your reaction be?

Depends on where we took him

Here are my possible reactions:

- If we traded up for him: angry

- If we took him at #13: content

- If we took him at #17: mildly excited

Question; Would you have been "angry" if they would have moved up to grap Sanchez at #5?

NO to hotdog Sanchez!!! i rather have Nate Davis....

WTF has Nate Davis ever done for you to even say that.

Ohhhhhh susy... dont get irritated dude, i keep forgetting you want Alex to keep developing
WTF has Alex done for you??????

Alex, your crazy. I hate alex smith

Thats good to know buddy, i apologize.....
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Clausen will be a Niner Thursday. Jed and Baalke know Alex isn't our franchise QB.

Awesome. Can't wait to go 8-8 again.

Better than 6-10 with Alex...
Now, if we grabbed an OT at #13 and Clausen was still sitting there at #17, I wouldn't be completely upset if we took him with that second 1st rounder. I would understand that move...I wouldn't like it all that much, but I would understand.

What I would understand about it would be that the 49ers0 had been blowing smoke about Smith being "the guy."

But yes, if Clausen were still there at 17, that would not be so bad.
I have nothing against Clausen. I just have a problem with taking a QB in the 1st round period...unless he's a SURE FIRE starter who will help us get to the playoffs. That's what the 49ers need to ask themselves...will the QB we draft get us over the "hump?"

I'm not saying Alex is FOR SURE going to lead us to the playoffs but I have MORE confidence in Alex leading us right now than some rookie QB who has to learn the system, etc etc. At the end of the day, we'll have more unproven over paid QBs & the worst o-line in the NFL...and yet another 8-8 or worse season. Its a never ending cycle with this team. BPA is fine...but sometimes, you have to fill NEEDS. We DESPERATELY need a solid RT and RG. We NEED help in the secondary, and WE NEED solid pass rushers. It'd be NICE to have a proven QB/pro bowl guy...but thats not available and its unrealistic.

Say we draft Clausen...then what..? Yeah in theory, it works out if Alex sucks it up (yet another losing season) then HOPEFULLY Jimmy pans out (more relying on HOPE and POTENTIAL for AT LEAST 2-3 years).

OR

We draft Clausen...Smith tears it up or does reasonably well to extend his contract...what do we do then? Extend Smith and trade Clausen? Trade Smith (and he goes and does well elsewhere and we regret it) while we "develop" Clausen (1-3 years of development)....?

I dont know man...just seems like it would create a sh*t storm if we draft Clausen. I feel like this team is FINALLY turning the corner...Alex is FINALLY becoming "FUNCTIONAL" since we actually used common sense and kept the same coordinator/offense, we actually have WRs/TE/RB, a solid defense...ALL we NEED desperately is protection for our QB and RB. And this isn't based on "hope" and "potential...." this is based on IMPROVED performances in 2009. No denying that.

We'll see, but I really hope we don't draft Clausen. If we're going to trade up...let's trade up for Suh or Okung/Williams, etc.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Clausen will be a Niner Thursday. Jed and Baalke know Alex isn't our franchise QB.

Awesome. Can't wait to go 8-8 again.

Better than 6-10 with Alex...

I didnt know we went 6-10 with Alex last year or any year with him as the starter...?

When did that happen?
Originally posted by excelsior:
Five years ago, the 49ers decided that Alex Smith was good enough to be drafted with the first pick in 2005. For those of you who are convinced that the team was wrong in its evaluation, why then would you feel comfortable if it is their assessment that Clausen is good enough to select in the first round this year?

Look at all of the QBs drafted in the first round during the last five years How many have not yet performed to levels justifying their high selection? Not many. Indeed, history tells us that it is a crapshoot.

Go with Alex, and use our high picks to build a stronger line. This plan has the same chance, if not a greater chance, of being the right path to follow.
I agree the OL needs to be strengthened.

However, you can't sit petrified in your closet because you made a mistake in the draft five years ago. A good GM has to be a bit like a good CB, you learn from your mistake, then forget about it and go on to the next play. So forget that Smith isn't Peyton Manning and see what comes next.
It sure would be a surprise and make for some awesome conversation and debates.

I guess Heitmann's gonna retire early then... he's not gonna want that dandy reaching behind him.
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:

I guess Heitmann's gonna retire early then... he's not gonna want that dandy reaching behind him.

Originally posted by pinehill:
Originally posted by mayo63:
They say, sometimes the best moves are the ones you DON'T make. The smart move would be to sit tight, grab two impact players at #13 and #17 and continue to build this team into a SB contender. To gamble again on a 1st round QB that many experts aren't completely sold on would just be repeating the Alex Smith mistake. This team is not in rebuilding mode anymore where we have 2-3 years to wait for a rookie QB to possibly develop...we're in the hunt for a division title and playoff spot THIS YEAR. We're on the cusp of returning this franchise to prominence, and people are talking about gambling with a 1st round QB?

Unbelievable.

Over the last few years, teams like Chicago, Washington, Houston and KC have been able to make upgrades to their QB position by trading for proven veterans...we can do the same if we're willing to be shrewd about it.

Question is, how shrewd is our front office? Are they really willing to go down that high draft pick rookie QB path again, given how close this team is?

so what happens if Alex fails next year?

Then draft Locker or Luck next year, but not Clausen.

You really think the 49ers are going to be in position to draft that high next year? Because if those guys are so good, they'll go top 5.

Between Locker, Mallet, Luck and Devlin, someone good will very likely be available if Alex Smith falters this year.

I hope those guys pan out.....They were saying what a great QB class '10 was going to be with Bradford, Clausen, McCoy, and Tebow.

I'd take any of those guys over Clausen any day of the week.

I'd take a chance with Clausen over Alex Smith any day of the week.

We always think the grass is greener....just watch what happens when Clausen takes his first NFL snaps. He'll look like Smith did in 2005. Trust me, it will take Clausen (a true junior) years to get his feet under him in the NFL....and to give up 2 first rounders for him knowing this team is pretty close...just can't see it.

Just a reality check folks. Andrew Luck was a redshirt freshman this year with 3 years of eligibility left. I think it is probably more likely that he would not enter the draft until 2012 at the earliest.

No, he's eligible for the 2010 draft, just as Bradford was eligible for the 2009 draft.
Alex showed enough to give him another year. In the same offense with the same weapons. I think if he stinks it up, we draft a QB next year