There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Clausen Propaganda Machine is Going Into Overdrive

Originally posted by Slash49:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Now, if we grabbed an OT at #13 and Clausen was still sitting there at #17, I wouldn't be completely upset if we took him with that second 1st rounder. I would understand that move...I wouldn't like it all that much, but I would understand.

I would still....

Definitely not the move I would make....but like I said, I would understand Clausen at #17.
I think it was Charlie Casserly who said that this is the best 1st round draft class he's seen since 1998. And we have two top 20 selections!

We're not in desperate need of a QB (unlike the Rams). But if Clausen's there at 13, and the top four OT's are gone, we should seriously consider picking him. Remember, the Seahawks pick 14th!

I'm no expert, but from the tape I've seen of Clausen, he's deadly accurate, makes good decisions and has good pocket awareness. His flaws are that he's stupidly slow (think Tom Brady), he throws to spots even in heavy coverage and he sometimes floats his deep balls. However, he had a tremendous Jr. season, he comes from a pro-style system and he's practically been groomed for the NFL since birth.

If you don't like him, fine! But tell us why. Don't just say, "I just can't see him being successful in the NFL!" Or, "He's the next Brady Quinn!" Include some substance!
Originally posted by pinehill:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Originally posted by mayo63:
They say, sometimes the best moves are the ones you DON'T make. The smart move would be to sit tight, grab two impact players at #13 and #17 and continue to build this team into a SB contender. To gamble again on a 1st round QB that many experts aren't completely sold on would just be repeating the Alex Smith mistake. This team is not in rebuilding mode anymore where we have 2-3 years to wait for a rookie QB to possibly develop...we're in the hunt for a division title and playoff spot THIS YEAR. We're on the cusp of returning this franchise to prominence, and people are talking about gambling with a 1st round QB?

Unbelievable.

Over the last few years, teams like Chicago, Washington, Houston and KC have been able to make upgrades to their QB position by trading for proven veterans...we can do the same if we're willing to be shrewd about it.

Question is, how shrewd is our front office? Are they really willing to go down that high draft pick rookie QB path again, given how close this team is?

so what happens if Alex fails next year?

Then draft Locker or Luck next year, but not Clausen.

You really think the 49ers are going to be in position to draft that high next year? Because if those guys are so good, they'll go top 5.

Between Locker, Mallet, Luck and Devlin, someone good will very likely be available if Alex Smith falters this year.

I hope those guys pan out.....They were saying what a great QB class '10 was going to be with Bradford, Clausen, McCoy, and Tebow.

I'd take any of those guys over Clausen any day of the week.

I'd take a chance with Clausen over Alex Smith any day of the week.

We always think the grass is greener....just watch what happens when Clausen takes his first NFL snaps. He'll look like Smith did in 2005. Trust me, it will take Clausen (a true junior) years to get his feet under him in the NFL....and to give up 2 first rounders for him knowing this team is pretty close...just can't see it.

Just a reality check folks. Andrew Luck was a redshirt freshman this year with 3 years of eligibility left. I think it is probably more likely that he would not enter the draft until 2012 at the earliest.

Agreed on Luck...though he's as gifted as any QB out there, and definitely has the "it" factor that teams look for in a QB.
Now, if we grabbed an OT at #13 and Clausen was still sitting there at #17, I wouldn't be completely upset if we took him with that second 1st rounder. I would understand that move...I wouldn't like it all that much, but I would understand.

I would still....

Definitely not the move I would make....but like I said, I would understand Clausen at #17.

i think its stupid to take a QB in first round when he wont even see the field this year especially when we dont have a dominant pass rush or secondary and our o line is one of the worst inn league

if alex fails get a qb next year

really its a no brainer and claussen isnt even that great of a prospect
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Apr 20, 2010 at 3:17 PM ]
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
I think it was Charlie Casserly who said that this is the best 1st round draft class he's seen since 1998. And we have two top 20 selections!

We're not in desperate need of a QB (unlike the Rams). But if Clausen's there at 13, and the top four OT's are gone, we should seriously consider picking him. Remember, the Seahawks pick 14th!

I'm no expert, but from the tape I've seen of Clausen, he's deadly accurate, makes good decisions and has good pocket awareness. His flaws are that he's stupidly slow (think Tom Brady), he throws to spots even in heavy coverage and he sometimes floats his deep balls. However, he had a tremendous Jr. season, he comes from a pro-style system and he's practically been groomed for the NFL since birth.

If you don't like him, fine! But tell us why. Don't just say, "I just can't see him being successful in the NFL!" Or, "He's the next Brady Quinn!" Include some substance!

It's one thing to say, "I don't like him," but it's an entirely different thing to say, "I don't mind him, but I don't see him being worth giving up our two 1st rounders for." That's different than just flat out saying, "I don't like him and here's why."

I personally don't think he's a huge upgrade over Smith, and realize that Clausen would take a few years to develop...given how close we are to getting over the top, it seems to me that 2 impact players in the 1st round is better value than a QB that's likely a few years away from doing much...and even then, doesn't appear to be a huge improvement over what we currently have (again, IMO).
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

I would still....

i think its stupid to take a QB in forst round when he wont even see the field this year especially when we dont have a dominant pass rush or secondary and our o line is one of the worst inn league

if alex fails get a qb this year

I won't argue against those points.
Originally posted by pinehill:
They say, sometimes the best moves are the ones you DON'T make. The smart move would be to sit tight, grab two impact players at #13 and #17 and continue to build this team into a SB contender. To gamble again on a 1st round QB that many experts aren't completely sold on would just be repeating the Alex Smith mistake. This team is not in rebuilding mode anymore where we have 2-3 years to wait for a rookie QB to possibly develop...we're in the hunt for a division title and playoff spot THIS YEAR. We're on the cusp of returning this franchise to prominence, and people are talking about gambling with a 1st round QB?

Unbelievable.

Over the last few years, teams like Chicago, Washington, Houston and KC have been able to make upgrades to their QB position by trading for proven veterans...we can do the same if we're willing to be shrewd about it.

Question is, how shrewd is our front office? Are they really willing to go down that high draft pick rookie QB path again, given how close this team is?

You really think the 49ers are going to be in position to draft that high next year? Because if those guys are so good, they'll go top 5.

Between Locker, Mallet, Luck and Devlin, someone good will very likely be available if Alex Smith falters this year.

I hope those guys pan out.....They were saying what a great QB class '10 was going to be with Bradford, Clausen, McCoy, and Tebow.

We always think the grass is greener....just watch what happens when Clausen takes his first NFL snaps. He'll look like Smith did in 2005. Trust me, it will take Clausen (a true junior) years to get his feet under him in the NFL....and to give up 2 first rounders for him knowing this team is pretty close...just can't see it.

Just a reality check folks. Andrew Luck was a redshirt freshman this year with 3 years of eligibility left. I think it is probably more likely that he would not enter the draft until 2012 at the earliest.

Agreed on Luck...though he's as gifted as any QB out there, and definitely has the "it" factor that teams look for in a QB.

I am a huge Luck fan, and would love to have him in a niner uniform. He may well be the # 1 overall pick whenever he declares.

Unbelievable.

Clausen is going to be Alex Smith #2. I really really hope we do not draft him.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

I would still....

i think its stupid to take a QB in first round when he wont even see the field this year especially when we dont have a dominant pass rush or secondary and our o line is one of the worst inn league

if alex fails get a qb next year

Okay, consider what started this thread then... The 49ers are ready to win NOW. Suppose Smith doesnt get them to the playoffs after another year of mediocre play;

If you draft a QB (Clausen) this year, you give him a year to soak everything in and he would start in year 2 at the earliest. Also consider all of the other points Kawakami mentioned that make sense from a financial/value reason.

If you dont draft one this year, in which it is a "QB-heavy" draft, you will wind up having to draft one high next year in a draft that is considered less favorable for QB selections.

The bottom line is this... I'm not an expert nor are you. If Claussen is a franchise guy and the scouting experts that are in this organization consider him to be that guy than pull the damn trigger. Forget about what the fans want, or whatever man-crush the owners have on this kid. Do what makes sense and is good for this organization.

We are done pampering Smith and his excuses!
Five years ago, the 49ers decided that Alex Smith was good enough to be drafted with the first pick in 2005. For those of you who are convinced that the team was wrong in its evaluation, why then would you feel comfortable if it is their assessment that Clausen is good enough to select in the first round this year?

Look at all of the QBs drafted in the first round during the last five years How many have not yet performed to levels justifying their high selection? Not many. Indeed, history tells us that it is a crapshoot.

Go with Alex, and use our high picks to build a stronger line. This plan has the same chance, if not a greater chance, of being the right path to follow.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
i will headbutt my computer if we draft clausen

Why do you hate Clausen? Is it because of on-the-field performance, or hist Cutler-esque, metrosexual dickishness?

to make that trade it would take stones so big, you would need a wheel barrow to walk! So in that regard I say F-it if you feel Cluasen is the player you need and you got the stones... F-n Bad a$$ do it!
If they pull something like this off, weather it works or not I will be encouraged, because this teams management has been pure p***y assed vanilla for some time now, it would be cool to know a man is pulling the trigger not some weak assed punk!
Clausen will be a Niner Thursday. Jed and Baalke know Alex isn't our franchise QB.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Clausen will be a Niner Thursday. Jed and Baalke know Alex isn't our franchise QB.

Awesome. Can't wait to go 8-8 again.