There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Rams Looking to Trade Down on the Cheap

Rams Looking to Trade Down on the Cheap

Last night on NFLN there was a lot of discussion about the Rams trading down, that they are willing to scrap the horribly-outdated top of the draft value chart and move down a half-dozen spots or so.

According to the PFT article linked below, 'primary' candidates would be the 'skins (not likely), the 'hawks', and the Browns. If the Rams are willing to trade with a division rival, I could see Seattle sending both #1s to the Rams for Bradford. The Rams would take Clausen at #6, then take DE Derrick Morgan or an OT at #14. If Cleveland wanted to move up, they would have to 'sell the farm', as Holmgren put it -- Their #7, their 2nd rounder, and all three of their 3rd rounders.

If somebody ends up moving to #1 to take Bradford, it could have implications for the 49ers. For one, Clausen would be more likely to go in the top 10, which means that its less likely the Top 4 OTs would be gone by #13:

1 - SEA - Bradford
2 - DET - Suh
3 - TB - MCCoy
4 - WAS - Williams
5 - KC - Berry
6 - STL - Clausen
7 - CLE - Haden or Thomas or Spiller
8 - OAK - Okung or Davis
9 - BUF - Bulaga or Davis or Okung or Spiller
10- JAX - Thomas or Haden or Morgan
11- DEN - Bryant OR McClain
12- MIA - Dan Williams or Pierre-Paul
**13- SF - Davis or Bulaga or Okung

I know I've mentioned this way too many times, but it looks more and more likely that Okung will slip a few spots, possibly to OAK at #8. According to the draft value chart, even money for the #7 is the #13 and our 2nd rounder...I'm just sayin'.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/20/talk-increases-that-rams-would-trade-down-on-the-cheap/
That would be crazy if SEA moved to the top spot...unlikely, but possible. Anyway, if they fell to us, I'd be happy if they selected either Bulaga or Okung w/ the 13th pick. But I don't see us trading up to select either one. If we don't get an OT in the first round, they'd have to use a second rd pick on an OT and hope the talent drop off isn't too steep.
[ Edited by mcbaes72 on Apr 20, 2010 at 8:47 AM ]
If Seattle offered both of their first round picks to the Rams, they would jump on that in a heartbeat
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
That would be crazy if SEA moved to the top spot...unlikely, but possible. Anyway, if they fell to us, I'd be happy if they selected either Bulaga or Okung w/ the 13th pick. But I don't see us trading up to select either one. If we don't get an OT in the first round, they'd have to use a second rd pick on an OT and hope the talent drop off isn't too steep.

Mike Mayock said the other day that the Top 8 OTs will be gone by the 34th pick. Those eight would be

Okung
Williams
Bulaga
Davis
Campbell
Brown
Saffold
Ducasse

So, the cupboard might be empty at #49, and we'd have to wait until the 3rd round or reach for Veldheer at 49. So, if we miss out on an OT at 13/17, we may have to wait until the 3rd/4th round for Fox, Wang, Calloway, etc.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
If Seattle offered both of their first round picks to the Rams, they would jump on that in a heartbeat

Seems like a pretty fair deal to move up to #1, right? If you adhered strictly to the trade value chart, Seattle would have to throw in their second rounder, #60, as well.

The question is: how much better is Bradford than Clausen?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
If Seattle offered both of their first round picks to the Rams, they would jump on that in a heartbeat

Seems like a pretty fair deal to move up to #1, right? If you adhered strictly to the trade value chart, Seattle would have to throw in their second rounder, #60, as well.

The question is: how much better is Bradford than Clausen?

Thats true, i still think St.Louis would gladly do it without the 2nd, maybe they get a 4th as well. Would be an awesome trade for the Rams. I think they could go all offense their first 3 picks. Something like: Clausen, Dez Bryant and Vladimir Ducasse as an example
Quote:
I think they could go all offense their first 3 picks. Something like: Clausen, Dez Bryant and Vladimir Ducasse as an example

That would be downright frightening. The Rams would get much better in a hurry.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
That would be crazy if SEA moved to the top spot...unlikely, but possible. Anyway, if they fell to us, I'd be happy if they selected either Bulaga or Okung w/ the 13th pick. But I don't see us trading up to select either one. If we don't get an OT in the first round, they'd have to use a second rd pick on an OT and hope the talent drop off isn't too steep.

Mike Mayock said the other day that the Top 8 OTs will be gone by the 34th pick. Those eight would be

Okung
Williams
Bulaga
Davis
Campbell
Brown
Saffold
Ducasse

So, the cupboard might be empty at #49, and we'd have to wait until the 3rd round or reach for Veldheer at 49. So, if we miss out on an OT at 13/17, we may have to wait until the 3rd/4th round for Fox, Wang, Calloway, etc.

The one thing I to keep in mind is that most if not all of our top picks slated for #13 could be gone including the 4OTs. Therefore, trade out of the #13 and keep #17. I can see a trade with the Eagles if one of the secondary players are there. They would get #13 and we would get #24 and #55, per chart.

#24 could be a great spot to land a ROT as C. Brown and R. Saffold would be of value. In addition, the extra second in this draft would be a great addition. We could have four picks in the first 55! Wow.

Out of all the NFC West teams, we have the ability to seize the West in with this draft.

It is time to think out of the box.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
That would be crazy if SEA moved to the top spot...unlikely, but possible. Anyway, if they fell to us, I'd be happy if they selected either Bulaga or Okung w/ the 13th pick. But I don't see us trading up to select either one. If we don't get an OT in the first round, they'd have to use a second rd pick on an OT and hope the talent drop off isn't too steep.

Mike Mayock said the other day that the Top 8 OTs will be gone by the 34th pick. Those eight would be

Okung
Williams
Bulaga
Davis
Campbell
Brown
Saffold
Ducasse

So, the cupboard might be empty at #49, and we'd have to wait until the 3rd round or reach for Veldheer at 49. So, if we miss out on an OT at 13/17, we may have to wait until the 3rd/4th round for Fox, Wang, Calloway, etc.

The one thing I to keep in mind is that most if not all of our top picks slated for #13 could be gone including the 4OTs. Therefore, trade out of the #13 and keep #17. I can see a trade with the Eagles if one of the secondary players are there. They would get #13 and we would get #24 and #55, per chart.

#24 could be a great spot to land a ROT as C. Brown and R. Saffold would be of value. In addition, the extra second in this draft would be a great addition. We could have four picks in the first 55! Wow.

Out of all the NFC West teams, we have the ability to seize the West in with this draft.

It is time to think out of the box.

I hate the expression "thinking outside the box"!

But yes, if all 4 have gone one option would be trading down. Or taking the game breaker who must have slipped down with all those OL going, then Iupati with the 17th then the best OT available with our
second.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Rams Looking to Trade Down on the Cheap

Last night on NFLN there was a lot of discussion about the Rams trading down, that they are willing to scrap the horribly-outdated top of the draft value chart and move down a half-dozen spots or so.

According to the PFT article linked below, 'primary' candidates would be the 'skins (not likely), the 'hawks', and the Browns. If the Rams are willing to trade with a division rival, I could see Seattle sending both #1s to the Rams for Bradford. The Rams would take Clausen at #6, then take DE Derrick Morgan or an OT at #14. If Cleveland wanted to move up, they would have to 'sell the farm', as Holmgren put it -- Their #7, their 2nd rounder, and all three of their 3rd rounders.

If somebody ends up moving to #1 to take Bradford, it could have implications for the 49ers. For one, Clausen would be more likely to go in the top 10, which means that its less likely the Top 4 OTs would be gone by #13:

1 - SEA - Bradford
2 - DET - Suh
3 - TB - MCCoy
4 - WAS - Williams
5 - KC - Berry
6 - STL - Clausen
7 - CLE - Haden or Thomas or Spiller
8 - OAK - Okung or Davis
9 - BUF - Bulaga or Davis or Okung or Spiller
10- JAX - Thomas or Haden or Morgan
11- DEN - Bryant OR McClain
12- MIA - Dan Williams or Pierre-Paul
**13- SF - Davis or Bulaga or Okung

I know I've mentioned this way too many times, but it looks more and more likely that Okung will slip a few spots, possibly to OAK at #8. According to the draft value chart, even money for the #7 is the #13 and our 2nd rounder...I'm just sayin'.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/20/talk-increases-that-rams-would-trade-down-on-the-cheap/

FYI...Another point of view..Updated on "the Trade Value Chart"
http://www.nfldraft101.com/articles/407/Updating_the_NFL_Draft_Trade_Value_Chart.jsp
TRADE UP FOR OKUNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol if the Seahawks traded up for Bradford, their move to get Whitehurst will look even more stupid
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
That would be crazy if SEA moved to the top spot...unlikely, but possible. Anyway, if they fell to us, I'd be happy if they selected either Bulaga or Okung w/ the 13th pick. But I don't see us trading up to select either one. If we don't get an OT in the first round, they'd have to use a second rd pick on an OT and hope the talent drop off isn't too steep.

Mike Mayock said the other day that the Top 8 OTs will be gone by the 34th pick. Those eight would be

Okung
Williams
Bulaga
Davis
Campbell
Brown
Saffold
Ducasse

So, the cupboard might be empty at #49, and we'd have to wait until the 3rd round or reach for Veldheer at 49. So, if we miss out on an OT at 13/17, we may have to wait until the 3rd/4th round for Fox, Wang, Calloway, etc.

Oh man, I don't wanna wait 'til the 3rd rd or later. We need a ROT that can start. I'll even settle for Campbell who's raw, but would lineup next to VD. If Davis can be taught better blocking skills, then there's a good chance Campbell can be taught, too.
Originally posted by teeohh:
lol if the Seahawks traded up for Bradford, their move to get Whitehurst will look even more stupid

Not that stupid; Hasselbeck is probably the most injury-prone QB in the NFL now, and you don't want to throw a rookie QB in if you don't have to. So Whitehurst backs up Hasselbeck and spot starts in 2010 while Bradford holds a clipboard. Hasselbeck is cut after the season and Bradford is the opening-day starter. Whitehurst becomes a back-up or trade bait.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
That would be crazy if SEA moved to the top spot...unlikely, but possible. Anyway, if they fell to us, I'd be happy if they selected either Bulaga or Okung w/ the 13th pick. But I don't see us trading up to select either one. If we don't get an OT in the first round, they'd have to use a second rd pick on an OT and hope the talent drop off isn't too steep.

Mike Mayock said the other day that the Top 8 OTs will be gone by the 34th pick. Those eight would be

Okung
Williams
Bulaga
Davis
Campbell
Brown
Saffold
Ducasse

So, the cupboard might be empty at #49, and we'd have to wait until the 3rd round or reach for Veldheer at 49. So, if we miss out on an OT at 13/17, we may have to wait until the 3rd/4th round for Fox, Wang, Calloway, etc.

The one thing I to keep in mind is that most if not all of our top picks slated for #13 could be gone including the 4OTs. Therefore, trade out of the #13 and keep #17. I can see a trade with the Eagles if one of the secondary players are there. They would get #13 and we would get #24 and #55, per chart.

#24 could be a great spot to land a ROT as C. Brown and R. Saffold would be of value. In addition, the extra second in this draft would be a great addition. We could have four picks in the first 55! Wow.

Out of all the NFC West teams, we have the ability to seize the West in with this draft.

It is time to think out of the box.

I hate the expression "thinking outside the box"!

But yes, if all 4 have gone one option would be trading down. Or taking the game breaker who must have slipped down with all those OL going, then Iupati with the 17th then the best OT available with our
second.

Yes -- if all those OTs are off the board, then there must be a skill position player that's there -- probably Dez Bryant or CJ Spiller.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home