There are 35 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If We Draft Iupati at #17 ?

I know we need a RT and will more than likely take one at #13, but what if Iupati is available at #17, do we take him?

I say yes, we can always grab some talent for the secondary with our 2nd round pick

and what if we take a CB or RB with the #13 pick, do we still grab Iupati at #17 and then draft a RT later on with our 3rd round pick? or do we allow Sims, Boone and Snyder to fight it out in camp for the RT Job? ....I personally want us to grab TWO blue chip offensive lineman in the first round, but the chance to improve the secondary or grab Spiller if he is available will be tempting.

If Iupati is available I hope we grab him, he is a pure mauler and would bring a nasty attitude to our offensive line
yep..
He is a great LOG prospect with pro-bowl potential and most if not all the professional analysts say so. As RT, there are huge question marks because of his poor performance at the Senior Bowl, but he didin't play RT there. He played RG to fail and LG where he dominated.

However, I remember the "buzz" during SB practices on Iupati when he manned the RT spot. He did very well and scouts were impressed with his foot work. I am not an OL coach and haven't seen enough of Iupati to make a professional opinion, but I will give it a shot.

Given the new OL coaches experience and talent for molding young players and their success at doing it, I can see them drafting Iupati and test him out at RT in Mini's and OTAs.

Could he man the right side and then move back to LOG after Baas is gone? But then the question would be, why? Why spend a #17 in this awesome draft for a stop gap measure at RT. If he's picked, he should remain a RT if that is what they drafted him for.

Still, A. Davis for RT and Iupati for LOG in the first is sounding more and more appealing especially since Spiller, Haden, and E. Thomas, the three I like in our range, will most likely be gone.

I had Graham over Iupati, but man that mauler could be a Larry Allen pro-bowl clone in two years. Also, LaBoy could derail picking up a pass rusher in the first...

...the same can be said about Pitts and Iupati.

Where that leaves me? But it is sure making me
It makes sense to grab Iupati, he will be a dominating Guard for years to come and will improve the offensive line, I would start him over Baas from day one and let him develop playing alongside Staley ..and as far as RT we can still grab one with our 2nd round pick, but I am rooting for us to grab an OT with the #13 pick and Iupati at #17 IF he is still there..IMO that would be awesome and our line would be set for many seasons to come
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
It makes sense to grab Iupati, he will be a dominating Guard for years to come and will improve the offensive line, I would start him over Baas from day one and let him develop playing alongside Staley ..and as far as RT we can still grab one with our 2nd round pick, but I am rooting for us to grab an OT with the #13 pick and Iupati at #17 IF he is still there..IMO that would be awesome and our line would be set for many seasons to come

This. I wanna line. No excuses
f**k YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Can't pass up on a run blocking beast like Iu[ati. He fits Singletarys style. It would shore up the O-line. Holy f**k we would have one of the youngest & most talented O-line in the league.

This is the scenerio i want for us. It would be the best fit for us.

Look Joe Haden is not a starter. Not yet. But both those O-lineman are!!!

If Alex Smith had a good O-line & more time how much better would he be? How much Better would Gore be? A lot more f**king better!!!!!

The Jets did this when they had 2 first rd picks they drafted D-Brick & Nick Mangold & both are starting pro bowlers.

COME ON NINERS!!!! STAY THE f**k AWAY FROM CLAUSEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T f**k THIS DRAFT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
drafting a guard in the first round...............
Originally posted by susweel:

dude he's a f**king beast! perfect for the run game & will learn the passing game tech's easily. can't pass it up. especially if we want to dominate the running game???????

gives me a hard on!
Originally posted by wailers15:

dude he's a f**king beast! perfect for the run game & will learn the passing game tech's easily. can't pass it up. especially if we want to dominate the running game???????
gives me a hard on!

Exactly, I know Scotty Mac didnt think drafting a guard in the first round was a smart move, and ya wonder why we couldnt get the running game going? I've always disagreed with Scott on that issue, you need talent on the offensive line to dominate and this year we have a chance to fix the O-Line once and for all

Stupid argument is stupid.

We have two bad starting OGs, it is our biggest need. If Iupati is there at #17, you take him.

You don't pass up the best guard in the draft just because "well...should we really be drafting a guard in the 1st round?"
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

Stupid argument is stupid.

We have two bad starting OGs, it is our biggest need. If Iupati is there at #17, you take him.

You don't pass up the best guard in the draft just because "well...should we really be drafting a guard in the 1st round?"

Oline is the foundation of a team.
The most boring part , yes, but most important.

Three and outs - Defense gets tired

No time to pass- no offense

Besides , most or if not all of the mocks have us picking up some oline cats so ......deal with it.
why the hell would we pass on what most experts believe will be an all~pro mauler guard? we could check that off our list of immediate needs. doesnt anyone remember our 0L is the worst in the league? alex wouldnt be rolling out every other play, and would have more time to find crabgreed,morgan, and jones. i'll be pissed if we dont take an all~pro guardand fix this $hitty line once and for all...and with the best guard in the draft.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Fix the line, already.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
If we really want a dominating line, then I think we should go OT and OG in the first round. We have tried to get guards in the second round that are powerful but slow. If you want powerful and fast, you probably need to grab them in the first. If we do this, then we have at least 4 legitimate strong OL potentially on our line. Without Iupati (and assuming we get an OT in the first), we would have Good-Bad-Good-Bad-Good on our OL. Kind of hard to have a dominant running game when the person to the left and right of you are bad.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fryet:
If we really want a dominating line, then I think we should go OT and OG in the first round. We have tried to get guards in the second round that are powerful but slow. If you want powerful and fast, you probably need to grab them in the first. If we do this, then we have at least 4 legitimate strong OL potentially on our line. Without Iupati (and assuming we get an OT in the first), we would have Good-Bad-Good-Bad-Good on our OL. Kind of hard to have a dominant running game when the person to the left and right of you are bad.

Hopefully, it goes Bulaga/Davis at 13, then Iupati at 17. This line needs to get fixed and like Solomon Wilcox said on NFLN yesterday, Niners need to take a OT and OG with their first two picks if they want to finally fix their OL. I don't know if it will happen, but I'll be praying it does. Fix this damn line, already.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Apr 20, 2010 at 10:40 AM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home