LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 450 users in the forums

OTC's Draft Day Mock 2010

its not sexy but its needed.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Unless I missed it, I didn't see Bulaga listed at all in the first round. Oversight? I would certainly take him at #13 if he was available.

Oops! Just found him at #14.
[ Edited by fryet on Apr 19, 2010 at 2:58 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
Nice Work OTC

First I will finally call you out on your hard on for R Jones

Overall I could live with this very easily, almost all needs are met and we would be entering a new season on a good note. One thing that did stick out to me..If Spiller is no longer available, and Seattle does not take a tackle with their first 1st-rounder, the 49ers will select Brown at 13 knowing that he likely will not make it 17. As Baalke said, "We're going to get the players we have targeted. I promise you that." So, under regular assumptions if Sea takes an OT and Spiller slips to 13 we take him. How certain would you say you are that if that scenario did happen Spiller would be drafted by us?

About 90% certain. He'd be the BPA, barring something miraculous. As well, that would mean another good tackle is still available and likely to fall to 17 (Brown or Bulaga probably). If we don't see the value or somehow they aren't available, we could still trade down from 17 if there are any takers and land a different player (Iupati, Cody, Pouncey, Saffold) to address either the same or another need in the first round with whatever pick we might acquire.
I do not see the Skins taking Williams because they need someone who can protect his blind side who is viewed as a RT. Also since Okung can go both ways you would rather have someone of that ilk at that high.

Also hawks may take Berry, but that is only if Chiefs don't-who could go OL also.

Frankly I don't mind the USC lineman, but not at 13.

Everyone has their man crush-but what everyone can agree on is that this wil be both exciting and scary draft at the same time. Like a date with Kim Kardashian haha.

I just want who ever the niners draft to be starters and not projects or situational players.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I like your selections enough... but if this is, as you say, a draft that you expect to happen rather than a wishful draft... why do you have Clausen falling so far and then saying that you think someone will trade up for him?

I made it without any trade projections -- I don't mess with trades in mocks, so if trades do not occur for Clausen in particular, I believe Clausen will be drafted by Arizona.

Originally posted by yoshi:
Great job, OTC.

One question, do you really think Taylor Mays is going to fall off from top 49?

I believe he's at high risk to do so. It's a bold prediction, but these mocks are tricky things sometimes, and there's always a good player that has to fall. Mays, quite honestly, is not that great of a player.

All physical ability, not enough production. Stiff hips, poor in coverage despite great speed, awful tackler despite his size and explosive hitting ability, and terrible discipline. He's going to get burned a lot and rack up a lot of penalties in this league if he doesn't fix these issues.

When most scouts think your best shot is to convert to linebacker, that's a bad shot to your draft stock.

Originally posted by ninertico:
Awesome! Nice to see another person like the Two OL in the first theory.

Do you really think that the Bills will value A. Davis more than Bulaga? Also, wouldn't Bulaga be of better value given that he's ready to go and more disciplined. Sure, Davis has the higher ceiling. Also, Brown over Bulaga, too? Hmmmm...

The fact is that we land an OT in the first. I personally am hoping for Bulaga or Davis as I am not to sure on Brown.

In this case, I love Iupati as he can compete and take over for Baas. He would be the perfect mauler to drive the so called "two yards" that Singletary preaches. Heck, I could see A. Davis and Iupati manning that left side next year. I just don't know how Iupati could be of value as we would be limiting his plays because of Baas' experience.

Still, I like me Staley-Iupati-Hietmann-Rachal-Brown.

Do you think that Iupati can supplant Baas this year or will it be until next?

If not this year, then for sure by the next. Baas' one-year deal will be up, and we'll already have a replacement. Perfect strategic planning.
I like it.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
I don't know about drafting Brown over Bulaga. Other than that if the draft falls like that I'd rather have Iupati than any of the pass rushers at available 17.

For those concerned about the Brown over Bulaga ordeal. Both are excellent technicians, but I have a feeling that the 49ers prefer him, as he does an excellent job of keeping his feet properly positioned in pass-protection and using his long arms (something Bulaga does not have, as has been noted) to subdue rushers off the edge.

Brown is better equipped to handle speed-rushers, and over time -- say a year -- would add to his frame to become a more powerful run blocker. Bulaga, while technically sound, is believed to be better suited to RT alone.

It's about value. Brown is obviously more polished, but Bulaga has a high ceiling. If they think Bulaga could excel at LT and RT, he would probably be the pick.

Overall, if Davis made it there, Anthony Davis could be rated higher than both if he passed the Singletary test.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Clock, what are the chances they go OL, OL with the first 2 picks? I'd love it for it to happen.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I don't know about drafting Brown over Bulaga. Other than that if the draft falls like that I'd rather have Iupati than any of the pass rushers at available 17.

For those concerned about the Brown over Bulaga ordeal. Both are excellent technicians, but I have a feeling that the 49ers prefer him, as he does an excellent job of keeping his feet properly positioned in pass-protection and using his long arms (something Bulaga does not have, as has been noted) to subdue rushers off the edge.

Brown is better equipped to handle speed-rushers, and over time -- say a year -- would add to his frame to become a more powerful run blocker. Bulaga, while technically sound, is believed to be better suited to RT alone.

It's about value. Brown is obviously more polished, but Bulaga has a high ceiling. If they think Bulaga could excel at LT and RT, he would probably be the pick.

Overall, if Davis made it there, Anthony Davis could be rated higher than both if he passed the Singletary test.

But since the 9ers have Staley at LT and locked into a long term contract, wouldn't it be better to take the player who is better prepared to play RT at the on set and also has the higher potential in Bulaga? Plus, it seems like Bulaga has a meaner demeanor that Singletary is looking for.
-Thomas, Campbell, and Davis are way too high

-I appreciate the work you put in to this but I hate the 13th pick being Brown. You must root for USC because thats just blatant homerism. No way does he go in the first half of the draft.

-Iupati, or maybe even Brown, could be the pick at 17, but I highly doubt we draft two O-linemen with our two first rounders

Originally posted by miked1978:
its not sexy but its needed.

this. I would love this draft for the two first rounders alone.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:

-I appreciate the work you put in to this but I hate the 13th pick being Brown. You must root for USC because thats just blatant homerism. No way does he go in the first half of the draft.

-Iupati, or maybe even Brown, could be the pick at 17, but I highly doubt we draft two O-linemen with our two first rounders

It's the Raiders, is anyone every too high for them?

and I agree with you on the bolded point, I really expect us to pass on Iupati
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

But since the 9ers have Staley at LT and locked into a long term contract, wouldn't it be better to take the player who is better prepared to play RT at the on set and also has the higher potential in Bulaga? Plus, it seems like Bulaga has a meaner demeanor that Singletary is looking for.

It really depends. Singletary doesn't have final say, if he did, that would shake things up a bit. I'd personally be happy with either player.
I dunno, OTC. If Dan Williams is still available at #13 and BOTH Bulaga and Brown were also still on the board, as you have painted in your scenario, I have to believe that Dan Williams would be the Niner call at #13 and the remaining OT, the one not selected by Seattle at #14, would be the Niner pick at #17.

Dan Williams has been personally crafted by Monte Kiffin and Ed Orgeron, and is as NFL-ready as a draftee could possibly be. Skipping over Dan Williams would be the Vince Wilfork mistake all over again. A men amoing boys in the SEC is REALLY a man among boys. I also believe that you generally should draft with an eye more on your perceived needs one year out, more than immediate needs. There is still plenty of potential FA help for an immediate need. One year out, the clear needs will be CB, NT, SS, ILB and OLB (all defensive positions).

Franklin is the lynchpin of the 3-4 defense and Willis' primary protector. Franklin is franchised, coming off his only real quality year. What if he tails off in 2010 or is consistently hampered by injuries? The club MUST have a viable alternative in place, which means securing a young, exceptional NT, when one is available. Mount Cody and the other NT's in this draft are a defintive cut below Dan Williams.

The Niners surely will also draft an OT with starting capability in this draft. That was clearly a need that McCloughan failed to fill in the last draft, when it was called-for. I just see more of a spread betrween Dan Williams and the remaining NT's versus the spread among Brown, Bulaga, Saffold, etc.
[ Edited by jimbagg on Apr 19, 2010 at 3:42 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo63:
Clock, what are the chances they go OL, OL with the first 2 picks? I'd love it for it to happen.

I wish I could say the chances are high, but because the top 12 are so volatile, I'm going to stay conservative and say 50-50.

Originally posted by theninermaniac:

I actually hate USC. I'm a Cal fan at heart, but also particularly enjoy watching Texas Tech, Tennessee, Georgia, Illinois and Ohio State.
Share 49ersWebzone