LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 151 users in the forums

OTC's Draft Day Mock 2010

All right, fellas. It's here. This truly will be the last mock of this year/season/whatever you want to call it. Forced to reshuffle the board after moves by several teams and some significant new information surfacing, I am finally busting out my final projection on how I believe it'll all go down. Disagreements may abound, I'm sure, but remember...

Keep in mind that this is a projection of how I think the chips will fall, and the direction we intend to go. This is not a wish-list, but it is what a mock is supposed to be, an informed stab at how I believe things may pan out.

All that said, enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NFL Draft 2010

1. Rams - QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma*
2. Lions - DT Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska
3. Buccaneers - DT Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma*
4. Redskins - OT Trent Williams, Oklahoma
5. Chiefs - OT Russell Okung, Oklahoma St.
6. Seahawks - S Eric Berry, Tennessee*
7. Browns - S Earl Thomas, Texas*
8. Raiders - OT Bruce Campbell, Maryland*
9. Bills - OT Anthony Davis, Rutgers*
10. Jaguars - CB Joe Haden, Florida*
11. Broncos - WR Dez Bryant, Oklahoma St.*
12. Dolphins - RB C.J. Spiller, Clemson
13. Charles Brown-OT-USC, 6-5 303 5.20
Plain and simple, we need a top-tier pass-protect who has the ability to shift and play on both sides of the line. We need a guy like Brown, who I seriously doubt we'd shy away from despite him weighing in only just above 300 pounds. With us shifting to more of spread passing attack and zone-blocking scheme, this pick makes even more sense, especially with the addition of Solari. Brown's immense talent and great athleticism will make him a top 20 pick come draft-time, and I'd be happy to have him here. If Spiller is no longer available, and Seattle does not take a tackle with their first 1st-rounder, the 49ers will select Brown at 13 knowing that he likely will not make it 17. As Baalke said, "We're going to get the players we have targeted. I promise you that."

14. Seahawks - OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa*
15. Giants - ILB Rolando McClain, Alabama*
16. Titans - DT Dan Williams, Tennessee

17. Mike Iupati-OG-Idaho, 6-5 330 5.20
Iupati is hands down the best OG prospect in the draft. Such a dominating force, that there are grumblings that the New York Giants intend to select him with their 15th if McClain is not available. Iupati was a team captain, and he's got the size, the strength, the quick feet, power, and the nastiness you want in an interior lineman. Really, he's everything you look for in an NFL player. Those who actually watched him play in several games this year know he's a monster out there (Look no further than those calling him "Lupati" to know who didn't see him play). Watching him each game was like watching a man take on small children in a wrestling match. Built like an MMA fighter, Iupati manhandles opposing players, often tossing them aside as if they were mere ragdolls. Our interior has been one of the most suspect areas of the team, so don't be surprised if the 49ers call Iupati's name at 17.

18. Steelers - QB Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame*
19. Falcons - DE Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech*
20. Texans - RB Ryan Matthews, Fresno State*
21. Bengals - OC/G Maurkice Pouncey, Florida*
22. Patriots - DT Jared Odrick, Penn St.
23. Packers - OT Rodger Saffold, Indiana
24. Eagles - CB Kyle Wilson, Boise St.
25. Ravens - CB Devin McCourty, Rutgers
26. Cardinals - DE/OLB Brandon Graham, Michigan
27. Cowboys - WR Golden Tate, Notre Dame*
28. Chargers - RB Jahvid Best, California*
29. Jets - WR Arrelious Benn, Illinois*
30. Vikings - DT Brian Price, UCLA*
31. Colts - DE Everson Griffen, USC*
32. Saints - LB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri

Round 2

33. Rams - DE Jason Pierre-Paul, South Florida*
34. Lions - CB Kareem Jackson, Alabama*
35. Buccaneers - ILB Daryl Washington, TCU
36. Chiefs - FS Nate Allen, South Florida
37. Redskins - CB Patrick Robinson, Florida St.
38. Browns - WR Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech*
39. Raiders - QB Tim Tebow, Florida
40. Chargers - NT Terrance Cody, Alabama
41. Bills - QB Colt McCoy, Texas
42. Buccaneers - DE Carlos Dunlap, Florida*
43. Dolphins - DE/OLB Sergio Kindle, Texas
44. Patriots - OG/T Vladimir Ducasse, Massachusetts
45. Broncos - OG Jon Asamoah, Illinois
46. Giants - TE Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma*
47. Patriots - TE Rob Gronkowski, Arizona**
48. Panthers - DE/OLB Jerry Hughes, TCU

49. Akwasi Owusu-Ansah-CB/S-Indiana (PA), 6-0 207 4.33
His name is a mouthful, his talent and skills are bountiful. Owusu-Ansah, a phenomenal player at the small-school level was easily one of the most feared players in his league. A dynamic performer who made starts at both corner and safety, Akwasi was a guy quarterbacks didn't dare to throw against; and when they did, they paid. The kid picked off 8 passes last season and this season, he had two over the course of the first two games before teams stopped throwing at him. Ansah has the makings of an excellent press cover corner because of his freakish combination of size, strength (21 reps of 225), and blinding speed. Ansah is not just a physical beast and a great cover corner, he's also a dazzling return man who ran back 5 for touchdowns last season (3 on punts, 2 on kickoffs). He's had at least one return touchdown each of the past three years, whether it be an interception return, a kickoff return, or punt return. The kid is a freak of nature, and a dangerous player in multiple facets of the game. His versatility mentioned earlier only increases his value further, and the 49ers, who need a player like Ansah would have to select him here if they want him at all. Ansah will not make it to our 3rd rounder.

Round 3 (Picks will be numbered only by round from here on)

3. Reshad Jones-SS-Georgia, 6-2 212 4.50*
Jones reminds me of a somewhat stouter, stronger Sean Smith (drafted R2 by Miami), in that he has excellent hands to make the interception. However, unlike Smith, he can lay the hammer on people when he needs to. In addition, Jones is an outstanding "form tackler" and he wraps up and drives through his player just like you are coached to do. I love the way this kid plays. Jones has loads and loads of talent, but he needs to be coached not to gamble as much, as you will see him bite on fakes from time to time. Thankfully for us, disciplined play is Singletary's strong suit. Tack on the fact that Jones is not just a heavy hitter, but also a ball-hawk (9 interceptions over the last two seasons, 4 this year and 5 the year prior), you've got yourself a heck of a player who could be ready to start in his first year. With Lewis sustaining 3 concussions in one season, the chances that he makes it all the way through next year without an injury are very, very slim. Lewis, even when healthy, does not have the speed to keep up with quicker receivers. Jones does. We must, and likely will address this need early.

4. Arthur Moats-OLB-James Madison, 6-0 246 4.64
Moats was not only the 2009 Buck Buchanan Award winner (best defender in the FCS), he was also the Colonial Athletic Association Defensive Player of the Year this season. This kid had a sack and/or a tackle for loss in virtually every single game this season, really turning some heads in the scouting community. Moats led the FCS in tackles for loss with 23.5 (right ahead of Adrian Tracy who could also be targeted), and was third in the FCS with 11 sacks -- which marked back-to-back double-digit sack years for Arthur Moats. He has been a tremendously productive player, and while he does not have great height (measured in at 6-0), Moats performed exceptionally well in agility drills at the combine, and his terrific 4.5-4.6 speed and high motor, much like Elvis Dumervil, make him one of the best players coming out of the FCS and someone I believe the 49ers have their sights set on in the middle rounds.

6. Corey Peters-DE-Kentucky, 6-3 300 4.90
It's simply common sense to expect us to draft an End prospect considering our FA signing Evans did next to nothing, as well as uncertainty surrounding Balmer's season ending injury. Hopefully he can recover, but adding a tremendous talent like Peters, a guy who has room to rise even further, would be highly beneficial for us. Peters stood out in every game I saw him in, displaying fantastic quickness off the snap, as well as a terrific motor and hustle on every play. Peters fires off the ball and has a great first move to create penetration and get into the backfield. To add, Peters is a very smart player, and will get his hands up in passes lanes to knock down passes if he can't get to the QB in time. All these things put together, I believe Corey Peters would be a great fit here. Peters' numbers on the year (at tackle) were 12 TFL, 4 sacks, 1 FF, 5 passes batted down. If we manage to land Peters, a 1st-team All-SEC pick this year, we're getting ourselves a terrific find.

6. Albert McClellan-ILB-Marshall, 6-1 247 4.75
I really like the way this guy plays. He's big, but boy is he fluid for his size. McClellan could be the steal of the draft in my opinion. This year marked his 2nd back fully recovered from a torn ACL in 2007, but back in '06, the guy was a Conference-USA all-star, earning Defensive Player of the Year honors from the Media after he lit the field up with 19 tackles for loss and 11 sacks that year. Even after he returned from the ACL injury, teams still were afraid of McClellan and he faced constant double-teams from his DE position. Once again in '08, he earned 1st-team Conference USA honors. This season, he didn't have high sack numbers (just 3, wth 9 TFL), but when you look at his QB hurries numbers (12) -- you know he got after opposing quarterbacks. McClellan was praised by scouts as the best defensive player at the Texas vs. Nation all-star game, raving about how natural and fluid he looked in coverage, which he showed by intercepting a pass and running it back for a touchdown in the game. The guy would immediately be a presence on special teams, and could easily develop into a terrific TED backer. I'd love to land him here. If still available (or if McClellan is not here), I could also see the 49ers targeting the likes of Kavell Conner (Clemson) or Vincent Rey (Duke).

7. Kade Weston-NT-Georgia, 6-4 316 4.97
Weston is one of the smartest players on the Georgia football team, and of course, a very talented individual. The problem, however, was that virtually every other lineman on the Georgia front possessed a great deal of talent as well. Nonetheless, Weston did a fine job in the rotation he was placed in, showing good ability to hold up in the middle, and in the action he did see, he racked up 6.5 TFL and 2.5 sacks. The 49ers, in this area of the draft will be much less concerned about his statistical totals, but more with his potential and developability. Weston, in addition to being an incredibly athletic player for his size, also understands the concepts in defensive schematics and would be a great developmental prospect at nose tackle for this team.

UDFA Targets:
RB Brandon James, Florida
RB Jake Sharp, Kansas
TE Jeff Cottam, Tennessee
FB Chris Gronkowski, Arizona
DT Ekom Udofia, Stanford
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 21, 2010 at 11:33 AM ]
Huge fan of this mock, ESPECIALLY our 2nd rounder. I also think the Jake Sharp pickup is interesting. I'm surprised his name gets almost no mention. He'd be fun to watch in preseason.

I really like Brown, and think that although 13 might be a bit high, we need to go OT at 13.
You really think deep down inside that the Raiders gonna draft Campbell? For some strange reason I just don't think they will be that stupid this year. I just don't see Brown as that good of a player to be drafted that high. Now if there is a major run on tackles like you have posted then it is very possible, but I stiil don't think he gets drafted over Bulaga though. I'd take Graham over Iupati but I have no problem with drafting him there. Overall good draft and I could kinda live with it, but Brown at 13 still bothers me a bit. I would have taken a chance on a a later round speed/change of pace back instead of all defensive players. I really like the Peters pick.
[ Edited by lamontb on Apr 19, 2010 at 1:04 PM ]
Just to put a condensed version here as well.

1. Charles Brown-OT-USC
1. Mike Iupati-OG-Idaho
2. Akwasi Owusu-Ansah-CB-Indiana (PA)
3. Reshad Jones-S-Georgia
4. Arthur Moats-OLB-James Madison
6. Corey Peters-DE-Kentucky
6. Albert McClellan-ILB-Marshall
7. Kade Weston-NT-Georgia
I like Iupati as long as we already grabbed an OT at 13. Picking a guy at 17 who has to switch positions sounds like a bad idea.
Originally posted by lamontb:
You really think deep down inside that the Raiders gonna draft Campbell? For some strange reason I just don't think they will be that stupid this year. I just don't see Brown as that good of a player to be drafted that high. Now if there is a major run on tackles like you have posted then it is very possible, but I stiil don't think he gets drafted over Bulaga though. I'd take Graham over Iupati but I have o problem with drafting him there. Overall good draft and I could kinda live with it, but Brown at 13 still bothers me a bit. I would have taken a chance on a a later round speed/change of pace back instead of all defensive players. I really like the Peters pick.

I do feel there will be a run on tackles with so many other teams needing tackles later in the first, and such a limited pool of offensive line talent -- that is why a run is likely.

It may not turn out exactly in that order, but can only see one tackle possibly falling out of the top 10, and that's if the Raiders do indeed draft smart.

If I'm Oakland, the proper choices for them -- if available -- would be: Clausen, Haden, D.Williams, or the best available OT.
I would be estatic if this happened...
Excellent!!! 150 sacks in 3 years demands that we fix the OL with some mean and talented people. Your whole draft would make us a much better team. Thanks.

GO NINERS
I LOVE IT. Im a big fan of drafting for our OL. We can get our heir to Gore next year or the year after. We have all the weapons for Alex in place. We get our DBs in the 2nd and 3rd. We got our KR/PR with our 5th in Ginn....so all we need is a pass rusher...which by the way I see Brooks, Lawson, and Harrelson ALL improve on their sack #'s this year, so a pass rusher isnt a great need IMO.

OTC, great final assesment. I cant compliment this draft enough. Its exactly what we need. Brown or Bulaga is a home run.
Bravo once again OTC! Your draft is very similar to mine. Love it.

I like, but I just don'e see Brown going at 13. But i'll take it.
Not flashy, but the kind of draft that solidifies our team and gives the playmakers the ability to have time to actually make the play. If Spiller/Haden is there at 13, I'd take one of them, though. I just don't see Spiller making it by Miami anymore
Like your draft
I would change to a COP back in one of the 6th rounders, maybe Deji Karim!
1a.) Charles Brown
1b.) Kyle Wilson

Love the first 3 picks. Exactly what we need.
Share 49ersWebzone