There are 166 users in the forums

My First Post-McNabb Trade Mock (Thomas & Davis)

Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Thomas over Haden or Spiller? Don't see that happening. I'm sure the Niners would really want to select someone that'll be on the field a lot more than Thomas. We already have two starting safeties and there are great valued safeties in the 2nd and 3rd round.

How the hell would a third down back in Spiller see the field more than Earl Thomas?

LOL because he would probably be in there as a receiver too with Gore. And he would see the field during kickoffs and punt returns. The fact of the matter is this, Earl Thomas is a good player but he will not see the field this season because we have two very good safeties back there.

Mark my words, after next year people will be talking about our secondary the way people are talking about our OL this year. We are thin at CB and Safety. And the people we do have in there are in the twilight of their careers (Lewis, Clements, Bly/Harris if they return) and are injury prone.

In my opinion, Haden/Wilson/McCourty/E. Thomas is a must.

I agree that we need some help at the secondary position, but I did mention that there are lots of safeties in the 2nd and 3rd round.
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Thomas over Haden or Spiller? Don't see that happening. I'm sure the Niners would really want to select someone that'll be on the field a lot more than Thomas. We already have two starting safeties and there are great valued safeties in the 2nd and 3rd round.

How the hell would a third down back in Spiller see the field more than Earl Thomas?

LOL because he would probably be in there as a receiver too with Gore. And he would see the field during kickoffs and punt returns. The fact of the matter is this, Earl Thomas is a good player but he will not see the field this season because we have two very good safeties back there.

Mark my words, after next year people will be talking about our secondary the way people are talking about our OL this year. We are thin at CB and Safety. And the people we do have in there are in the twilight of their careers (Lewis, Clements, Bly/Harris if they return) and are injury prone.

In my opinion, Haden/Wilson/McCourty/E. Thomas is a must.

I agree. Lewis is one big hit away from retiring and Bly/Harris are at the end of their careers. We need to pick up one of the premier corners or safeties in this year's draft.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:
does anyone else feel like e.thomas will have trouble staying on the field similar to b.sanders or t.polamalu? i mean he played around 198-202lbs. i know he bulked up for the combine, but i'm not sure that will stay on his frame, especially since some say he looked to stiff and mechanical at the combine compared to what they saw on tape.

Stiff and mechanical work for Aaron Rogers by god i'll take him either way! This team needs to keep getting better and if we don't get 2 guys that will start this season for us then what's the point. I'm sick of waiting 5 years for are players to start playing, and balmer needs a kick in his first round ass!

deep breath buddy...
First of all, I don't believe Thomas is worthy of a #13 pick...Haden, yes, but not Thomas. I wouldn't mind a S later in the draft...maybe 4th rd or so. Getting one of the top OT's and someone like Haden is getting needs fulfilled and top value picks. If Haden's off the board at #13, then go w/Davis and at #17 grab Iupati or reach very slightly and grab Pouncey. Both these guys are very versatile...they say the big Somoan has the ability to play all the OL positions while Pouncey's an excellent C and OG. Singletary needs to begin the inevitable replacement of Heitmann...and Pouncey's "Newberry-like" in his prime.
Originally posted by foreign49er:
I wouldn't agree with us taking Thomas over Haden. Take a safety later on, Corners are far too valuable in the NFL today.

To steal a line from someone on NFL network, with the league going to 4 and 5 wide reciever sets you need a Saftey that can cover like a corner.

Look no further than Mark Roman.
  • dj43
I agree that the 49ers need to draft a safety at some point. My main problem with the Thomas draft is the idea that it requires Goldson to move to SS.

Goldson has some of the instincts of a SS but he is not big and durable enough to absorb the punishment that position draws. Although I am was not thrilled with Goldson's cover skills this past season, I feel he can improve. With him moving, the 49ers would wind up with a SS that is constantly getting dinged and still have a hole at safety.

Whoever they draft at safety, rest assured, he will have good cover skills. This is now a passing league and a safety who can't cover no longer has a place in this league.
Anyone seriously considering not taking a Tackle in the 1st round is ignoring the obvious fact that maybe the Secondary is coming up to it's draft time.... this season, our number 1 problem is the OL which is already broken and has been for some time now. You remind me of the McNabb fans... you wont let it go, not saying they are good players but if Niners draft 13th Defense and 17th Defense I will be highly surprised and so will every other team and GM in the NFL.
  • soao
  • Veteran
If Davis passes the Sing test, we pick him up at # 13.
Share 49ersWebzone