There are 135 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is everyone's fascination with Mike "Lupati"??

He would be a solid pick at #17
  • mod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 29,367
for a couple weeks I thought he was some italian guy named Lupati, and everybody spelled his name lower case...

L l I i

[ Edited by modninerfan on Apr 2, 2010 at 16:13:49 ]
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
He would be a solid pick at #17

I want to see Williams at 13 and Iupati at 17.

Solidify our Oline and make it the strength of the team rather than the yearly disappointment it has been since Terry Dumbahue blew the team up.
I stopped reading at "Lupati".
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Iupati, dude... with an "I".
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by jreff22:
It's Iupati with an I

If you read my post that's what I said... My point is everyone calling him "Lupati" has most likely never even seen him do anything.

Post was too long. We all have short attention spans here.

Too long....wait, what's the subject again?
Originally posted by stevenking57:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by jreff22:
It's Iupati with an I

If you read my post that's what I said... My point is everyone calling him "Lupati" has most likely never even seen him do anything.

Post was too long. We all have short attention spans here.

Too long....wait, what's the subject again?

Lupati
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
I agree, I don't even like him at 17. There are so many other players that will be available at 17 that will have a greater impact on our team then he would. To take a guard at 17 he needs to be almost flawless and I agree with most of the flaws you listed. He is big, strong, and relatively fast for his size but so was Isaac Sopoaga. Not saying that he will take as long to develop as Sopoaga did, but like Sopoaga he has a long way to go in becoming technically sound. Do we really want to make him one of the highest paid guards while he learns the proper technique? No thank you IMO.

How does Soap's progression as a D-lineman(which is one of the hardest positions to learn, technique-wise) have anything to do with O-Line play, which seems to translate from college to the NFL rather seamlessly?
The fascination?

Simple.



this



and this


and, always, this:



As I recall, in the senior Bowl practices, the NFL Network analysts really liked how he was doing in the practice sessions, and all the sudden, there was a buzz on the forum. I watched one practice, and they were moving him around alot. As a result, he did use his hands and was guilty of holding. But when he was at his regular position, he made a couple of pancake blocks, and was mobile enough to get out in front of some running plays - he looked pretty good.

Now where he ends up in the draft, I'm not sure, but I'm in the group that believes if we don't improve the OL, either through personnel changes or new coaching philosophy, we will not improve next season.

He got quite a few positive comments from analysts who are supposed to know, and there is a strong liklihood that he will still be around at #17, thus many Zoners want him drafted.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Iupati, dude... with an "I".

I know... that's what half of my post is about.

Again, I'm not saying I'd be pissed if we picked him at 17. But I would be if we picked him at 13. That'd be a reach for sure. If we pick an OL at 13 it better be an offensive tackle.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Iupati, dude... with an "I".

I know... that's what half of my post is about.

Again, I'm not saying I'd be pissed if we picked him at 17. But I would be if we picked him at 13. That'd be a reach for sure. If we pick an OL at 13 it better be an offensive tackle.

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................spiller........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
I agree, I don't even like him at 17. There are so many other players that will be available at 17 that will have a greater impact on our team then he would. To take a guard at 17 he needs to be almost flawless and I agree with most of the flaws you listed. He is big, strong, and relatively fast for his size but so was Isaac Sopoaga. Not saying that he will take as long to develop as Sopoaga did, but like Sopoaga he has a long way to go in becoming technically sound. Do we really want to make him one of the highest paid guards while he learns the proper technique? No thank you IMO.

How does Soap's progression as a D-lineman(which is one of the hardest positions to learn, technique-wise) have anything to do with O-Line play, which seems to translate from college to the NFL rather seamlessly?

Nothing. But they are both from the same place and never played football until a late age and relied on their size and strength a little too much in college. Like I said in the first post the transition will not take as long as Soap's but there will be a a period where he will have to learn proper technique.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Iupati, dude... with an "I".

I know... that's what half of my post is about.

Again, I'm not saying I'd be pissed if we picked him at 17. But I would be if we picked him at 13. That'd be a reach for sure. If we pick an OL at 13 it better be an offensive tackle.

I'd definately be okay with taking Lupati at 17, but not 13...unless we play him at RT.
Considering Mayock and whole slew of other draft experts were fascinated by him I think the hype was warranted. Athletically the kid has it all.

His stock seems to be cooling now. Mayock actually has Pouncey over him, and you just wonder if there's serious doubts about his intelligence.