LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Nick's 4/2 Top 17 Mock

Athletes vs. headcases. Don't know if the 49ers would take on two immature prima donnas that would require a lot of hand-holding, supervision, and encouragement at the same time. At their best, they're very good players...but the baggage is just too much.

You take character risks in the 6th and 7th rounds, not the first. Especially with BOTH of your first round picks. Besides, I think the Crabtree/Morgan/A. Smith chemistry is building and would be thrown completely out the window if they brought in Bryant.

[ Edited by Yetiman on Apr 2, 2010 at 18:30:55 ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Yetiman:
Athletes vs. headcases. Don't know if the 49ers would take on two immature prima donnas that would require a lot of hand-holding, supervision, and encouragement at the same time. At their best, they're very good players...but the baggage is just too much.

You take character risks in the 6th and 7th rounds, not the first. Especially with BOTH of your first round picks. Besides, I think the Crabtree/Morgan/A. Smith chemistry is building and would be thrown completely out the window if they brought in Bryant.

this
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Talk about boom or bust picks.

Scary without a doubt.......

Very
Originally posted by KRS-1:
While he may refute the claims, if they are indeed found true when doing background checks then they are not small issues. Skipping classes & missing team meetings at Oklahoma are showing a lack of maturity and responsibility. He is looking more and more like the Jamarcus Russell of WR's, all the talent in the world but lacks motivation.

Failing to finish 2 drills (short shuttle and 3 cone) in front of coaches, scouts and GM's is also not a good thing.

There was a time when I though a lot higher of the kid but the more we get through the off season process, the more his stock is being hurt. I could still see him going to Jacksonville (a team devoid of offensive playmakers outside of MJD) or Miami (a team looking for a true #1), however I truly question whether or not the 49ers would take the gamble. Good chance we would deal the pick if he was still there at 17 and someone was willing to jump up.

I agree if it true that he skiped Classes and team meeting plus why did he lie to the NCAA What really happen there?
i love this mock. our offense becomes instantly explosive. now if alex smith doesn't work out and we need to pick a qb next year, he will not be put into the situation that alex was put into
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Dez is gonna be good and would look great opposite Crabtree. Plus adding our new RT. NICE
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nuns:
While Dez is a good looking college receiver, he is doing all the wrong things with his off season. He works out with Pac Man Jones, his agent is Eugene Parker, he's pals with Deion Sanders, he forgot his cleats for his pro day. On top of all that, he defends his less-than stellar decisions.

I'd rather have Graham or Mays at 17, Dez looks like trouble.

graham is not what we need at 17. getting dbs will help the pass rush manny, harelson, and brooks are not great but they will do fine. i agree we need another edge rusher. but db help way more necessary. plus dez is also a need to help alex. morgan is just decent i think.

[ Edited by fan49 on Apr 3, 2010 at 11:09:43 ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by Nuns:
While Dez is a good looking college receiver, he is doing all the wrong things with his off season. He works out with Pac Man Jones, his agent is Eugene Parker, he's pals with Deion Sanders, he forgot his cleats for his pro day. On top of all that, he defends his less-than stellar decisions.

I'd rather have Graham or Mays at 17, Dez looks like trouble.

graham is not what we need at 17. getting dbs will help the pass rush manny, harelson, and brooks are not great but they will do fine. i agree we need another edge rusher. but db help way more necessary. plus dez is also a need to help alex. morgan is just decent i think.

Not a huge Morgan fan myself. On a playoff caliber team he should not be a #2 WR
I'd love to get Davis at #13...but as for Dez Bryant, good as he may be, I'd rather have another top OL (Iupati), or a stud DE to bookend Justin Smith. Crabtree's our no. 1 WR...and I like the makeup of the other receivers. I know, I know, Bryant's a talent...I get that, but you can't really have two no. 1 WR's. I'd rather invest in the OL that'll protect Alex so he has time to go through his progressions and open up holes for Gore...so he can run to daylight. I also don't see Singletary taking two #1 picks that have some baggage...
Love it!!

It would be real lucky if Bryant slid to 17 though. But we have to have a gamechanger on offense. Bryant certainly would be that. Also, that way, once Davis takes over at QB we would actually have an offense that would scare opponents!

One thing I pray we don't do, is select offensive linemen with BOTH of our first round picks. The Niner's wouldn't be that dumb would they?

Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Love it!!

It would be real lucky if Bryant slid to 17 though. But we have to have a gamechanger on offense. Bryant certainly would be that. Also, that way, once Davis takes over at QB we would actually have an offense that would scare opponents!

One thing I pray we don't do, is select offensive linemen with BOTH of our first round picks. The Niner's wouldn't be that dumb would they?

why would selecting OL with both of our first picks be dumb i think it would be smart

getting trent williams/bulaga/anthiny davis and iupati with our first round would be amazing
Taking one player with off the field issues, maybe. But there is NO WAY we take two players with issues with our first two picks.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Love it!!

why would selecting OL with both of our first picks be dumb i think it would be smart

getting trent williams/bulaga/anthiny davis and iupati with our first round would be amazing

Just my thinking, of course, but:

1. I understand that right now people are fixated on OL. It's easy to overdo it. The team has three areas of critical need to get to the next level. OL, DB and a gamechanger with SPEED. All three need to be addressed.

2. It's much easier to find a solid OL in the later rounds (2nd/3rd) than an electric skill position player. Especially a Guard.

3. Every year come draft time fans forget about all the players currently on the roster. For example, when Rachal was drafted he was a "can't miss" mauler. He hasn't worked out so great but he is being developed. How far along is he? Iupati is getting a lot of hype, but his hype reminds me a lot about what they were sayig about Rachal. What makes anyone think his story will be any different? Give the high picks (and the others) on the roster a chance, while we shore up other areas.

4. Look at the Niners draft history when they have two first round picks (or two early round picks). One on offense; one on defense. It's the right way to go. Build all around strength. The organization hasn't done so well with the picks, but the methodology cannot be faulted.

Conclusion: I'd be SHOCKED if they picked two offensive linemen with both first round picks.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Love it!!

Just my thinking, of course, but:

1. I understand that right now people are fixated on OL. It's easy to overdo it. The team has three areas of critical need to get to the next level. OL, DB and a gamechanger with SPEED. All three need to be addressed.

2. It's much easier to find a solid OL in the later rounds (2nd/3rd) than an electric skill position player. Especially a Guard.

3. Every year come draft time fans forget about all the players currently on the roster. For example, when Rachal was drafted he was a "can't miss" mauler. He hasn't worked out so great but he is being developed. How far along is he? Iupati is getting a lot of hype, but his hype reminds me a lot about what they were sayig about Rachal. What makes anyone think his story will be any different? Give the high picks (and the others) on the roster a chance, while we shore up other areas.

4. Look at the Niners draft history when they have two first round picks (or two early round picks). One on offense; one on defense. It's the right way to go. Build all around strength. The organization hasn't done so well with the picks, but the methodology cannot be faulted.

Conclusion: I'd be SHOCKED if they picked two offensive linemen with both first round picks.

i see what you mean but the rachal and iupati thing is kind of off rachal was considered really raw coming from college he was going to come out the year after but desperatly needed the money for his mother or something iupati is considered pro ready

i would be happy getting 2 OL but my dream draft is

13 RT (bulaga or trent williams)
17 earl thomas
49 dexter mccluster
3rd round : john jerry

that way all our needs are met
No Dez Bryant!!
Share 49ersWebzone