Nick's 4/2 Top 17 Mock
Here is my new mock.
Perhaps the biggest change is that I've assumed that the Raiders won't do something stupid, as most mocks have them doing -- taking either Campbell or Mays. I have them taking Williams at OT, who is also an athletic specimen but also knows how to play the position. That move changes the draft order considerably.
I also think that Bulaga is going to fall; more teams are realizing that he is not a sure thing to play at LT, and that there is a big drop-off after Okung.
For the 49ers, I assume that Anthony Davis checks out and Singletary believes he can motivate him. If he can, the 49ers get a Top 5 pick at #13.
At #17, I assume that the 49ers are going to take the best player available. And with this draft, that pick is Dez Bryant. Its hard to argue that there's a better player available...Brandon Graham is a reach here (so is Mays). If Kyle Wilson is still here, he could be the pick instead.
1. STL - Bradford - Rams take a franchise QB
2. DET - Okung - Lions make the smart move and protect Stafford instead of going for Suh
3. TB - Suh - biggest need, BPA
4. WAS - Clausen - With Okung gone, they won't reach for Bulaga here. Shanahan takes Jay Cutler II
5. KC - Berry - toughest spot in the top 10; they REALLY need an OT, but Bulaga isn't worth the #5 to them. Berry is BPA
6. SEA - McCoy (DT) - no-brainer BPA
7. CLE - Earl Thomas - Flying up the draft boards; not many have him mocked here, but they have a major need at FS and Berry is gone; They also don't have many other options.
8. OAK - Williams (OT) - Major need at OT, best OT remaining as well. Williams also did very well at the combine, which Al likes.
9. BUF - Bulaga - Major need -- Buffalo gets its OT
10. JAX - Derrick Morgan - They need a pass-rusher, and Morgan is perfect for the 4-3
11. DEN - McClain - Major need AND BPA
12. MIA - Williams (NT) - The Fins need major help at NT, and Williams is perfect
13. SF - Anthony Davis - Singletary checked him out, and his work ethic is not a concern. If Smith can go #6 last year, with much worse problems, Davis is an incredible value here. As long as the 49ers can keep him focused, which I think Singletary can do, he is a steal
14. SEA - Spiller - Best Player available.
15. NYG - Joe Haden - Giants need to beef up the secondary, and Haden is also the best player available.
16. TEN - Kyle Wilson - Major, major playmaker who also fills a big hole; they would love Derrick Morgan, but he's already gone
17. SF - Dez Bryant - Best player available, STEAL OF THE DRAFT. A couple small issues cause this amazing WR to drop all the way to 17.
[ Edited by nickbradley on Apr 2, 2010 at 07:35:04 ]