LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Nick's 4/2 Top 17 Mock

Nick's 4/2 Top 17 Mock

Here is my new mock.

Perhaps the biggest change is that I've assumed that the Raiders won't do something stupid, as most mocks have them doing -- taking either Campbell or Mays. I have them taking Williams at OT, who is also an athletic specimen but also knows how to play the position. That move changes the draft order considerably.

I also think that Bulaga is going to fall; more teams are realizing that he is not a sure thing to play at LT, and that there is a big drop-off after Okung.

For the 49ers, I assume that Anthony Davis checks out and Singletary believes he can motivate him. If he can, the 49ers get a Top 5 pick at #13.

At #17, I assume that the 49ers are going to take the best player available. And with this draft, that pick is Dez Bryant. Its hard to argue that there's a better player available...Brandon Graham is a reach here (so is Mays). If Kyle Wilson is still here, he could be the pick instead.

1. STL - Bradford - Rams take a franchise QB
2. DET - Okung - Lions make the smart move and protect Stafford instead of going for Suh
3. TB - Suh - biggest need, BPA
4. WAS - Clausen - With Okung gone, they won't reach for Bulaga here. Shanahan takes Jay Cutler II
5. KC - Berry - toughest spot in the top 10; they REALLY need an OT, but Bulaga isn't worth the #5 to them. Berry is BPA
6. SEA - McCoy (DT) - no-brainer BPA
7. CLE - Earl Thomas - Flying up the draft boards; not many have him mocked here, but they have a major need at FS and Berry is gone; They also don't have many other options.
8. OAK - Williams (OT) - Major need at OT, best OT remaining as well. Williams also did very well at the combine, which Al likes.
9. BUF - Bulaga - Major need -- Buffalo gets its OT
10. JAX - Derrick Morgan - They need a pass-rusher, and Morgan is perfect for the 4-3
11. DEN - McClain - Major need AND BPA
12. MIA - Williams (NT) - The Fins need major help at NT, and Williams is perfect
13. SF - Anthony Davis - Singletary checked him out, and his work ethic is not a concern. If Smith can go #6 last year, with much worse problems, Davis is an incredible value here. As long as the 49ers can keep him focused, which I think Singletary can do, he is a steal
14. SEA - Spiller - Best Player available.
15. NYG - Joe Haden - Giants need to beef up the secondary, and Haden is also the best player available.
16. TEN - Kyle Wilson - Major, major playmaker who also fills a big hole; they would love Derrick Morgan, but he's already gone
17. SF - Dez Bryant - Best player available, STEAL OF THE DRAFT. A couple small issues cause this amazing WR to drop all the way to 17.

[ Edited by nickbradley on Apr 2, 2010 at 07:35:04 ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I like it, Nick. I think Davis is going to slide nicely to us. He was the #2 OT behind Okung going into the combine and to get him at #13 is another steal after getting Crabtree at #10 last year.
i like it as well however i think haden rather than earl thomas would go to the briwns
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
While Dez is a good looking college receiver, he is doing all the wrong things with his off season. He works out with Pac Man Jones, his agent is Eugene Parker, he's pals with Deion Sanders, he forgot his cleats for his pro day. On top of all that, he defends his less-than stellar decisions.

I'd rather have Graham or Mays at 17, Dez looks like trouble.
forget the trouble i just don't think Bryant is gonna be good
Originally posted by Nuns:
While Dez is a good looking college receiver, he is doing all the wrong things with his off season. He works out with Pac Man Jones, his agent is Eugene Parker, he's pals with Deion Sanders, he forgot his cleats for his pro day. On top of all that, he defends his less-than stellar decisions.

It kind of makes you wonder if they might do this stuff on purpose just to avoid going to a lower rated team. You might lose a little money initially for being the higher draft pick position, but may go on to have a better career with a better team. Scary if true.
  • evil
  • Veteran
While he may refute the claims, if they are indeed found true when doing background checks then they are not small issues. Skipping classes & missing team meetings at Oklahoma are showing a lack of maturity and responsibility. He is looking more and more like the Jamarcus Russell of WR's, all the talent in the world but lacks motivation.

Failing to finish 2 drills (short shuttle and 3 cone) in front of coaches, scouts and GM's is also not a good thing.

There was a time when I though a lot higher of the kid but the more we get through the off season process, the more his stock is being hurt. I could still see him going to Jacksonville (a team devoid of offensive playmakers outside of MJD) or Miami (a team looking for a true #1), however I truly question whether or not the 49ers would take the gamble. Good chance we would deal the pick if he was still there at 17 and someone was willing to jump up.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Working out with Pac Man, who his agent is and being friends with Deion is not what is going to affect him. Nor will the "forgetting his cleats" as that was a case of forgetting the pair of ones that were "broken in" and he was forced to use a brand new pair. I thinks the cleats were more of an excuse made for a guy who knew he wouldn't time under 4.5 and was hoping to convince teams he can be a true vertical threat but teams will see through that.

The issues that are truly in question while he refutes them are what I listed in my previous post.

I'm not high on Bryant either. He looks like a Diva WR at best, and a Raushan "Fisherman" Woods at worst.

I would rather go after a CB or Safety with ball hawking skills at 17. With the
incorporation of more teams running the spread with 4 WRs, you need more coverage guys. We are sorely lacking depth.
replace Bryant with Taylor Mays and i like.

I think Browns draft Haden in this scenario instead of Thomas

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i like it as well however i think haden rather than earl thomas would go to the briwns

On April 2nd, yes, but I think that by the time of the draft most teams will share Mike Mayock's opinion of Earl Thomas; he is simply skyrocketing up draft boards.
Talk about boom or bust picks.
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Talk about boom or bust picks.

Scary without a doubt.......
Dez Bryant gives me a feeling of a slightly bulkier Rashaun Woods. He's too boom or bust for me and it's a position that's not a priority, IMO, to upgrade.
I would much rather take Spiller at 13 and Davis at 17.

I just have a feeling Singletary meeting with Davis is just a smoke screen.
Share 49ersWebzone