LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 330 users in the forums

MadDog's Spring Break Big 255 Board Edition

Originally posted by TlSSER:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by bergy07:
MD,
Interested in hearing your prediction on if there is a player who will be selected in the 1st round who will be out of the league in 3 years? Anthony Davis fit that crystal ball mold?

Most 1st rounders have at least three years to show their stuff, so I cannot see anyone out of the league that quickly.

However, the player you mentioned, Anthony Davis, has a pretty high bust potential, in my mind. This is a man's league, and if you are immature, and don't work hard, you are going to get blown up in the NFL.

hey MD.....who are your two realistic 1st Round Choices at #13 and #17?

I think the team will target Haden and Spiller at 13, and the best available OL at 17. Haden is most likely at 13, as I suspect Spiller will go before him.

Mark me down for Haden and Brown, especially with the emergence of Sam Bradford as the future number one. The team needs to start thinking long term about matching up with him.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 29, 2010 at 20:35:50 ]
MD,
Interested in hearing your prediction on if there is a player who will be selected in the 1st round who will be out of the league in 3 years? Anthony Davis fit that crystal ball mold?

Most 1st rounders have at least three years to show their stuff, so I cannot see anyone out of the league that quickly.

However, the player you mentioned, Anthony Davis, has a pretty high bust potential, in my mind. This is a man's league, and if you are immature, and don't work hard, you are going to get blown up in the NFL.

I think the team will target Haden and Spiller at 13, and the best available OL at 17. Haden is most likely at 13, as I suspect Spiller will go before him.

Mark me down for Haden and Brown.

I would take that and be happy. Obviously Williams would be preferred but this would work.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by ninergold:
I'm hoping that if they end up with a guy like Brown, that they have traded down and received another 3rd round pick this year.

But it seems like everyone thinks Lupati is a sure thing. Do you take the BPA or draft an OT?

At 13 or 17? Iupati is far from a sure thing. You watch him in the Senior Bowl game getting knocked on his ass. He is still fairly raw.

And his performance at the Combine was average, at best.

He's a big guy, and may have a mean streak, but he's no sure thing and would be a REACH in the first round, IMHO.

Average? Most reports say he had a solid combine at the very worst. Teams trying him at tackle acknowledged he'd need work if you wanted to move him there, but there is no question that Mike is the best guard prospect in the draft.

I could see him as early as number twelve to the Dolphins. There is some talk he may go that early.
Originally posted by jreff22:
First off MD

Secondly you will now be referred to as "The Webzone's Aslan"

Now to the real stuff....

If Jerry is available in the 2nd would what would the pick be? Because we are skeptical at OG at this point and Pashos has walked wouldn't Jerry be the wiser pick? I have 0 issues with the Allen pick, but Jerry would add a great multi need as a OG/OT.

Now this one has me scratching my head.... Amari Spievey, you have him as the 10th rated CB on the board. To me that's a lil high for the kid, convince me on this pick and his placement. The only other site I use for decent rankings is draft scout which is fairly accurate. They have him as the 14th ranked CB which seems a little more accurate. Also his size may raise the red flag to the organization due to him being under the 5'11 mark (not by much but this is a game on inches).

Looking down a bit to the 6th round. Per your board you have 188 LeRoy Vann Florida A&M WR/CB still sitting. Knowing that we are looking to add some return guys (hopefully more then 1) and we have shown some interest in this kid why no dice?

Where is Micah Johnson?

Micah Johnson posted one of the slowest times in recent history for a linebacker, and that does not bode well for him. Rarely do MLB's post times in 4.90+ range and get drafted.

LeRoy Vann is going to be drafted. Way too many teams giving him a lot of attention.

Amari Spievey had 15 formal interviews at the combine, which is a pretty sizable number. The Falcons grade him as a first round pick, according to the National Football Post. He's got a little buzz going right now, and will fit right in that 3rd round. He's right at 5'11", and has a good frame.

Jerry is going to get a lot of looks at RT, and I think that 45-55 area is where he will land.

In my opinion, on Micah, I think he's faster -- and plays faster -- than that. One of the things many commentators noted was that he had surprising range for his enormous size. I imagine if he's too slow right now, a team would advise him to cut weight.

Still, I see Johnson getting drafted somewhere around the 6th or so.

The only hope for him is a 3-4 team looking to draft a 2-down Ted backer. There are just too many guys rising on the board right now as the Mike backer position: Mayberry, Goethel, Rey, etc.
First off MD

Secondly you will now be referred to as "The Webzone's Aslan"

Now to the real stuff....

If Jerry is available in the 2nd would what would the pick be? Because we are skeptical at OG at this point and Pashos has walked wouldn't Jerry be the wiser pick? I have 0 issues with the Allen pick, but Jerry would add a great multi need as a OG/OT.

Now this one has me scratching my head.... Amari Spievey, you have him as the 10th rated CB on the board. To me that's a lil high for the kid, convince me on this pick and his placement. The only other site I use for decent rankings is draft scout which is fairly accurate. They have him as the 14th ranked CB which seems a little more accurate. Also his size may raise the red flag to the organization due to him being under the 5'11 mark (not by much but this is a game on inches).

Looking down a bit to the 6th round. Per your board you have 188 LeRoy Vann Florida A&M WR/CB still sitting. Knowing that we are looking to add some return guys (hopefully more then 1) and we have shown some interest in this kid why no dice?

Where is Micah Johnson?

Micah Johnson posted one of the slowest times in recent history for a linebacker, and that does not bode well for him. Rarely do MLB's post times in 4.90+ range and get drafted.

LeRoy Vann is going to be drafted. Way too many teams giving him a lot of attention.

Amari Spievey had 15 formal interviews at the combine, which is a pretty sizable number. The Falcons grade him as a first round pick, according to the National Football Post. He's got a little buzz going right now, and will fit right in that 3rd round. He's right at 5'11", and has a good frame.

Jerry is going to get a lot of looks at RT, and I think that 45-55 area is where he will land.

Johnson did clock at 4.84 at his pro day

I think scouts will adjust than back over 4.9, since Kentucky's surface is blazing fast. The thing that catches my attention is his 3-cone, 10 yard numbers and vertical. He just doesn't possess the explosiveness needed to be drafted in this era of physically studly MLB's, in my opinion.
Originally posted by Niners23:
Hey MadDog, you have Akwasi Owusu-Ansah Indiana, Brandon Ghee and Major Wright all going before our 3rd round pick. Do you think any one of those players is worth moving up for, or are there other good DB to be found in the 3rd and beyond?

I think Owusu-Ansah is the third best CB in this draft, so I think he's got great value, as a future starting CB and excellent special teamer. I like the kid a ton.

I grade Wright a full round lower than both Allen and Burnett. I think he's going to struggle in the NFL.

As for Ghee, fast kid, no doubt. And, he doesn't mind sticking his helmet on someone. I just don't see the productivity and playmaking ability at the next level. Zero interceptions in 2009. Yikes!!!
MD,

Mark me down for Haden and Brown, especially with the emergence of Sam Bradford as the future number one. The team needs to start thinking long term about matching up with him.

I see what you're saying and would not be unhappy with Haden and Brown. But if Bradford goes to the Rams, and the team wants to "match up" with him, wouldn't it make more sense to go with Haden and . . . Brandon Graham?

Then pick up one of the second tier OL in the second? A guy like Veldheer maybe, who quietly had a great showing at the Combine, a 5.09 in the 40 (fourth overal), and top five in almost every other category. And he's got great size--a terrific prospect for Solari to mold into a RT?

[ Edited by oldninerdude on Mar 29, 2010 at 22:03:33 ]
Originally posted by Niners23:
Hey MadDog, you have Akwasi Owusu-Ansah Indiana, Brandon Ghee and Major Wright all going before our 3rd round pick. Do you think any one of those players is worth moving up for, or are there other good DB to be found in the 3rd and beyond?

I think Owusu-Ansah is the third best CB in this draft, so I think he's got great value, as a future starting CB and excellent special teamer. I like the kid a ton.

I grade Wright a full round lower than both Allen and Burnett. I think he's going to struggle in the NFL.

As for Ghee, fast kid, no doubt. And, he doesn't mind sticking his helmet on someone. I just don't see the productivity and playmaking ability at the next level. Zero interceptions in 2009. Yikes!!!

Yep. Ghee has the tools physically, but I think he may lack elite instincts.

As for Haden and Brown, I'm all for that. Yours truly had us selecting a Brown-Iupati combo in my first mock this past November. A scenario I still don't see being all that farfetched actually.
Hey madDog and otc what are your guys toughts on penn st Sean Lee ILB? does he fit the ted spot?
I'm hoping that if they end up with a guy like Brown, that they have traded down and received another 3rd round pick this year.

But it seems like everyone thinks Lupati is a sure thing. Do you take the BPA or draft an OT?

At 13 or 17? Iupati is far from a sure thing. You watch him in the Senior Bowl game getting knocked on his ass. He is still fairly raw.

He's a big guy, and may have a mean streak, but he's no sure thing and would be a REACH in the first round, IMHO.

Average? Most reports say he had a solid combine at the very worst. Teams trying him at tackle acknowledged he'd need work if you wanted to move him there, but there is no question that Mike is the best guard prospect in the draft.

Yes, but he's not a OT, so why reach for him in the first round?

And irrespective of what "most reports" may say, a look at the Combine standings for O-linemen shows that he's not in the top 10 in any category. "Solid" is just a nice way of saying "average."

So I repeat, he's big, but he's not particularly strong, or quick, or fast. He played against inferior competition at a small school and showed just how raw he is at the Sr. Bowl, when the competition level went up.

I respect your opinion, but I am unconvinced that Mike Iupati would be a good pick for the Niners in the first round.

• 49erFanOrlandoFl
  • Info N/A
How would you guys feel about drafting 2 CBs and a safety?
I love Morgan Burnett at 49 with 79 Jerome Murphy could be a strong addition to our secondary and with the 144th pick AJ Jefferson is very raw as a CB but no one is a better kick returner and with his speed and athletic ability the risk vs reward factor is on his side. Place him under the wing of Clements and Spencer he may become a heck of a DB sooner rather than later
I really believe either Bulaga or Williams will be there at 13 with 17 i would choose between Graham or Iupati, maybe Hughes

[ Edited by 49erFanOrlandoFl on Mar 29, 2010 at 22:25:08 ]

And irrespective of what "most reports" may say, a look at the Combine standings for O-linemen shows that he's not in the top 10 in any category. "Solid" is just a nice way of saying "average."

So I repeat, he's big, but he's not particularly strong, or quick, or fast. He played against inferior competition at a small school and showed just how raw he is at the Sr. Bowl, when the competition level went up.

I respect your opinion, but I am unconvinced that Mike Iupati would be a good pick for the Niners in the first round.

Iupati dominated in one-on-one drills at the Senior Bowl. You couldn't hear enough about how well he was doing. So, just as Staley's multi-sack allowance Senior Bowl failed to decrease his value, Iupati's in-game issues didn't hurt him at all.

He may very well not be the best OL available at 17 -- that's possible. But best guard in the draft? Yes, easily. I wouldn't cry if we selected him, because overall he does grade out as a first round prospect.

We'll see what happens, but I can't say I'd be unhappy if we took Iupati, as I feel he's going to become a special player in this league.
MD,

pat kirwan's mock had niners taking haden, then quoted a scout who said beware, haden is a "boundary" cornerback---what is a boundary cornerback?
  • GORO
  • Veteran

Iupati dominated in one-on-one drills at the Senior Bowl. You couldn't hear enough about how well he was doing. So, just as Staley's multi-sack allowance Senior Bowl failed to decrease his value, Iupati's in-game issues didn't hurt him at all.

He may very well not be the best OL available at 17 -- that's possible. But best guard in the draft? Yes, easily. I wouldn't cry if we selected him, because overall he does grade out as a first round prospect.

We'll see what happens, but I can't say I'd be unhappy if we took Iupati, as I feel he's going to become a special player in this league.

Lupati is Physical and Singleterry loves these type of guys. I would like a RT but if none of the top ones are there then I say select him at #17 or else the steelers will select him and look like the smarter organization.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
MadDog what do you think the Niners would do if Dez Bryant is available when pick 13 is up? Will he be the highest on their board? Or will they be afraid to deal with his agent again?
Share 49ersWebzone