There are 118 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Charles Brown

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Here's the 10 million dollar question:

Would you be comfortable having Charles Brown playing RT with Rachal at RG? Both will still be somewhat raw, and Brown is going to have to switch from LT to RT?
Originally posted by dlance:
I've seen Charles Brown play many games and he a very good to great pass blocker. he really don't have much drive blocking on a run play he gets into his guy stays on him. he will get bigger and fill out if they draft him that will be a good pick.

the trojans did pull him around the corner on alot of runs
Originally posted by GEEK:

Would you be comfortable having Charles Brown playing RT with Rachal at RG? Both will still be somewhat raw, and Brown is going to have to switch from LT to RT?

id rather take iupati at 17 and try him at rt tackle than take brown at 17

and cmon you know it, 1st sack he gives up singletary will be saying "You blockhead Charlie Brown"

Either way, I'm quite sure that we're gonna have a rookie playing alongside Rachal.

-9fA
Sure whatever, as long as we can get someone better than Baas so Raye can execute his offense.

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners23:
Alright, so with all the discussion around this board and other sites, I feel like I'm fairly up to date with the big 5 OT: Okung, Williams, Bulaga, Campbell and Davis. However, I'm not too familiar with Charles Brown. So, when both Maiocco and Barrows blogged about Brown possibly being the OT selected as Okung, Williams and Bulaga may already be taken, it spurned my interest in him.

I was pretty shocked to hear that he hadn't given up a sack since his junior year, and he has really long arms, at over 35" but what I don't get is why he isn't valued as a top tier prospect. What is he lacking that would cause him to drop into the bottom half of the first round? Also, would it be worth investing a #17 pick on him?

Not that hard in the pac10 where there are no good pass rushers. Or defenses for that matter.
Now that McCloughan's gone and Solari will have a voice in recommending what OL Singletary/Baalke should pick, don't be surprised if Brown rises on their draft board. It's one of the reasons Coach is having an early OTA, so Solari can evaluate his players. He likes OL who're very light on their feet, can lead sweeps/screens, pass protect and zone block. Brown is among the more athletic OT's in the draft. Singletary has also said if he acquires a better LT than Staley, he wouldn't hesitate to move him back to RT. That may not happen this season, but could be a factor next year.
Originally posted by znk916:
Sure whatever, as long as we can get someone better than Baas so Raye can execute his offense.

I think that we could possibly draft Brown with the intent of keeping him at LT. Baalke recently said that with Staleys versatility he could possibly slide over if a better LT is drafted.

Brown has a ton of upside. The only thing I don't like is he isn't a mauler in the run game. He can move out fast and get to the next level, but he does really engage his block, and shows almost no tenacity. He just needs to finish off his blocks

He's a phenomenal pass blocker though

[ Edited by saniner on Mar 26, 2010 at 15:05:09 ]
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
With new zone blocking coach, and spread offensive scheme, road graders are a thing of the past. In 1 yr Brown will be very good until then he'll need some TE help on the goal line, and short yardage.
  • leonbanton
  • Info N/A
Alright, so with all the discussion around this board and other sites, I feel like I'm fairly up to date with the big 5 OT: Okung, Williams, Bulaga, Campbell and Davis. However, I'm not too familiar with Charles Brown. So, when both Maiocco and Barrows blogged about Brown possibly being the OT selected as Okung, Williams and Bulaga may already be taken, it spurned my interest in him.

I was pretty shocked to hear that he hadn't given up a sack since his junior year, and he has really long arms, at over 35" but what I don't get is why he isn't valued as a top tier prospect. What is he lacking that would cause him to drop into the bottom half of the first round? Also, would it be worth investing a #17 pick on him?

Because he's not a top tier prospect. Just because he went to USC doesn't mean he's and elite top tier prospect. And isn't he a converted tight end. He seem's a little light in the a$$ for me. I would prefer a more balanced T since Staley is already more of a finesse player himself.
Judging by Baalke's interview, the team is more than willing to move Staley to RT, though again he is not the big, physical, mauler you look for in the running game as well. Now if we are going to be going to more of a zone blocking scheme, a combination of Brown and Staley at OT could work.

Charles Brown does have upside but man to me his Chilo Rachal all over again. A very raw prospect who was up and down in his career at USC but was helped because he was around so many good players. Im just not crazy about Charles Brown at 17. Would be all over him in the 2nd rd, of course he is almost a lock to go in the 1st rd.
Originally posted by TX9R:

Not that hard in the pac10 where there are no good pass rushers. Or defenses for that matter.

Typical Big 12 answer to the pac10.
Originally posted by TX9R:

I'm sure he got just a little practice against this years defensive ROY.