There are 157 users in the forums

Charles Brown

I go crazy when I hear the name Charles Brown, and it's a bad thing. I would be totally upset if the Niners ended up drafting this overgrown TE. OL that come from USC aren't as good as they are advertised, see your boy Chilo Rachel. I mean why settle for an athelete who's natural position wasn't even OL coming into college. If the Niners are going to draft an OT, it needs to be someone who's dominant and worth a first round pick. Charles Brown did an interview stating he is only good at pass blocking, and that's it?!? Some will argue that Joe Staley was and is an overgrown TE, but why should the Niners sell themselves short with two bookend tackles that are overgrown TEs? I just want the Niners to get a LT that can play there for years to come and is dominant, plus moving Staley back to RT
Originally posted by REDx85xGOLD:
I go crazy when I hear the name Charles Brown, and it's a bad thing. I would be totally upset if the Niners ended up drafting this overgrown TE. OL that come from USC aren't as good as they are advertised, see your boy Chilo Rachel. I mean why settle for an athelete who's natural position wasn't even OL coming into college. If the Niners are going to draft an OT, it needs to be someone who's dominant and worth a first round pick. Charles Brown did an interview stating he is only good at pass blocking, and that's it?!? Some will argue that Joe Staley was and is an overgrown TE, but why should the Niners sell themselves short with two bookend tackles that are overgrown TEs? I just want the Niners to get a LT that can play there for years to come and is dominant, plus moving Staley back to RT

So your argument is that Staley isn't a good OT because he's played TE before, but you want Staley to play OT. Gotcha.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

So your argument is that Staley isn't a good OT because he's played TE before, but you want Staley to play OT. Gotcha.

so your argument is that you'll be satisfied with the Niners drafting Brown at 17, gotcha. Btw never did I say Staley wasn't good enough to play OT since he was a TE at first. But hey if you want two overgrown TEs as your OT then I'm happy for you. You make it seem like Staley is a dominant OT, he's overrated
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I havent heard anyone wanting Brown at #17 overall. That would be horrible value
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I havent heard anyone wanting Brown at #17 overall. That would be horrible value

MM seems to think that the Niners may draft Brown, he wrote an article on it.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/03/brown-could-be-49ers-best-option-in-draft.html#more

[ Edited by REDx85xGOLD on Apr 4, 2010 at 00:43:11 ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/03/brown-could-be-49ers-best-option-in-draft.html#more

I certainly hope he is dead wrong
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

To an outside observer that relies on media mocks, it may be horrible value - not bashing you, just speaking in general terms.

But we don't get the full details regarding personal interviews and such. The fact is that Brown may be rated the #3 or #4 best OT in the draft for some teams. To get someone with a legit first round grade in the mid-to-late round is relatively good value.

The main reason why I think the 49ers can safely take a flier on Brown and not regret it is because of the resigning of Barry Sims. We could easily move Staley to the right side, allowing Sims and Brown to compete for the LT spot.

Maybe it's just me, but I would be comfortable with the following OL:

LT: Sims/Brown*
LG: Pitts*/Baas
OC: Heitmann/Wallace
RG: Rachal/Snyder
RT: Staley/Boone

well then go b***h at him.
Originally posted by GEEK:

To an outside observer that relies on media mocks, it may be horrible value - not bashing you, just speaking in general terms.

But we don't get the full details regarding personal interviews and such. The fact is that Brown may be rated the #3 or #4 best OT in the draft for some teams. To get someone with a legit first round grade in the mid-to-late round is relatively good value.

The main reason why I think the 49ers can safely take a flier on Brown and not regret it is because of the resigning of Barry Sims. We could easily move Staley to the right side, allowing Sims and Brown to compete for the LT spot.

Maybe it's just me, but I would be comfortable with the following OL:

LT: Sims/Brown*
LG: Pitts*/BaasSi
OC: Heitmann/Wallace
RG: Rachal/Snyder
RT: Staley/Boone

homie it's a major reach. And the team isn't putting Staley at RT for Sims. To add to that Pitts can't even pass a physical so you have him in the starting mix is a question.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

so your argument is that you'll be satisfied with the Niners drafting Brown at 17, gotcha. Btw never did I say Staley wasn't good enough to play OT since he was a TE at first. But hey if you want two overgrown TEs as your OT then I'm happy for you. You make it seem like Staley is a dominant OT, he's overrated

he was like a top 7 or 8 LT last year

Charles Brown-T- Player Apr. 18 - 9:38 am et

USC LT Charles Brown is reportedly "a hot commodity right now," and could be drafted in the top 15.

The most obvious landing spot in the top-15 picks would be in Seattle, where left tackle help is sorely needed. Brown, of course, was Pete Carroll's starting left tackle for two years at USC.

Source: National Football Post

Some other info from the website.....

2. Detroit : But unless the Lions feel they can acquire Albert Haynesworth from the Redskins (I would put the odds at 20 percent), they’ll take Russell Okung. Without Haynesworth, the pick will be Ndamukong Suh.

5. Kansas City: The Chiefs are trying, and I mean really trying, to move down. My sources tell me they’ll be willing to go down as far as 15 for the right deal because they feel they can find a player in that range. They want to move badly and might be able to if they can convince a team to move up and get ahead of Cleveland to acquire Clausen. The reality for the Chiefs and the rest of the NFL is that Cleveland won’t pick Clausen. More on the Browns later.

6. Seattle: They need a left tackle, they need a running back and they need to fix their defense, so they can go many directions. But the key point for the Seahawks is how they manage their draft. If they go OT, they might not get C.J. Spiller, so they must look at combinations. Would they want Spiller and a lesser tackle, or Trent Williams and another back? The right combination of players is the decision facing the Seahawks right now.

7. Cleveland: I’m told the Browns are not going to pick a quarterback, that they’re going to draft defense with their first pick. In spite of Jon Gruden’s relationship with Mike Holmgren and his love of Clausen, the Browns are not going quarterback early.

9. The draft will have two sections — the first will be sorting out the top seven picks and the second will be which team picking at the top of the second round jumps into the first round. From picks 22-32, I expect some trades to be made, and there will be a sense of urgency for teams to not have to wait an entire day to get their guy in the second.

11. I’m told Buffalo will go offensive tackle with its first pick and has interest in Florida quarterback Tim Tebow. The Bills might have to move to the bottom of the first to be in position to get him.

[ Edited by TlSSER on Apr 18, 2010 at 9:47 AM ]
Makes sense

what website did you get that from?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Good for us.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Makes sense

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sunday-at-the-Post-7983.html

Originally posted by TlSSER:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Makes sense

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sunday-at-the-Post-7983.html

thanks, also from there

6. Seattle: They need a left tackle, they need a running back and they need to fix their defense, so they can go many directions. But the key point for the Seahawks is how they manage their draft. If they go OT, they might not get C.J. Spiller, so they must look at combinations. Would they want Spiller and a lesser tackle, or Trent Williams and another back? The right combination of players is the decision facing the Seahawks right now.

I wonder if we're even going to be able to draft a tackle If not I'm hoping for Graham and a corner
[ Edited by teeohh on Apr 18, 2010 at 9:37 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone