There are 247 users in the forums

Charles Brown

Alright, so with all the discussion around this board and other sites, I feel like I'm fairly up to date with the big 5 OT: Okung, Williams, Bulaga, Campbell and Davis. However, I'm not too familiar with Charles Brown. So, when both Maiocco and Barrows blogged about Brown possibly being the OT selected as Okung, Williams and Bulaga may already be taken, it spurned my interest in him.

I was pretty shocked to hear that he hadn't given up a sack since his junior year, and he has really long arms, at over 35" but what I don't get is why he isn't valued as a top tier prospect. What is he lacking that would cause him to drop into the bottom half of the first round? Also, would it be worth investing a #17 pick on him?
he is an elite pass protector but he has really limited size he isnt that big has a reletivly small frame therefore he wont get much bigger even after coming to the nfl. So although he will be a premier pass protector in the nfl his run blocking will be a huge down side
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
he is an elite pass protector but he has really limited size he isnt that big has a reletivly small frame therefore he wont get much bigger even after coming to the nfl. So although he will be a premier pass protector in the nfl his run blocking will be a huge down side

But a great LT has to be an elite pass protector right? So, could he end up being a pro-bowl or at least very strong starter at LT in the future?
Originally posted by Niners23:

But a great LT has to be an elite pass protector right? So, could he end up being a pro-bowl or at least very strong starter at LT in the future?

yes thats why many say he is strictly an LT not a RT
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersFan831:
Alot of 49er fans want cj spiller others want trent williams and some want both. but this mock draft has neither and this mock draft will most likely happen so here we go

1a.WR, dez bryant-he is a beast and a very good KR,PR, and he will be another weapon for smith just imagen him with crabs,vd and morgan

1b.RT, anthony davis-this guy has the biggest upside of all the lineman in the draft and he is a stud, he will anchor our line.

2.OLB, jerry hughes-he is a beast in his own rights he will provide pass rush and he reminds me of lammar woodly.

3.SS, major wright- a really good safety ball hawk and a hard hitter and might be the steal of the draft.

4.ST, leroy van- might be a reach but his stock is rising fast , and he will provide CB deph and tied with cj spiller in PR,KR,TD's but he is a project but in the mean time he will be a special teamer.

5.ILB, micah johnson- a big phisical line backer great in the box and will provide deph and when spike retires he and scott mkillop will fight for starting position.

sicearly,49erswebzone freak (49ersfan831)

Yeah, I like your Davis pick. I think he'll end up being the pick. Sing is real good with building guys up and this guy has all the skills your looking for but may not be mature enough as he didn't show up to some of his workouts. He definetley will drop and I think we can get him at #17. He was considered the 2nd best tackle behind Okung in the beginning of the year. If he drops because of character concerns it could be a real steal for us at #17.
Alot of 49er fans want cj spiller others want trent williams and some want both. but this mock draft has neither and this mock draft will most likely happen so here we go

1a.WR, dez bryant-he is a beast and a very good KR,PR, and he will be another weapon for smith just imagen him with crabs,vd and morgan

1b.RT, anthony davis-this guy has the biggest upside of all the lineman in the draft and he is a stud, he will anchor our line.

2.OLB, jerry hughes-he is a beast in his own rights he will provide pass rush and he reminds me of lammar woodly.

3.SS, major wright- a really good safety ball hawk and a hard hitter and might be the steal of the draft.

4.ST, leroy van- might be a reach but his stock is rising fast , and he will provide CB deph and tied with cj spiller in PR,KR,TD's but he is a project but in the mean time he will be a special teamer.

5.ILB, micah johnson- a big phisical line backer great in the box and will provide deph and when spike retires he and scott mkillop will fight for starting position.

sincearly,49erswebzone freak (49ersfan831)

Uhhh, I fail to see what this post has to do with the original topic.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
the point is anthony davis is better than charles brown
Don't know about Charles Brown specifically at 17, but I ended up looking into zone blocking and found an interesting article on the personnel that fit that scheme. He seems to be a good fit (if that's what we go to). Kinda interesting if you're down for a lengthy read.

Quote:
Above all, we want guys who want play so bad they could die. We want guys who can run, who are athletic, who have "recoverability", but who maybe lacks bulk and strength. Maybe doesn't know what his body is about yet. We want guys who are going to take advantage of that redshirt year.

TACKLES: Tall, length, maybe no basic strength, but he can run, and we're willing to let him add that power. 6'5 1/2" is usually the max we want.

GUARDS & CENTERS: height and length doesn't mean ****. Marginal height, but plays with great leverage. "LOW WAISTED" (long torso short legs), with leverage under our bodies. Healthier by not being heavy. RARE for them to play early. Nobody over 6'3". My center must be football brilliant.

Very intelligent on the inside. The "test score limit would SCARE YOU." We make calls from the inside out (centers call guards, guards tell tackles what to do, tackles tell tight ends what to do. Thus, there's a chain of decreasing responsibility)

No introverts for any position (communication. Low power-distance culture guys between each other and the coach).

All of them must have the ability to step laterally while keeping their shoulders square to the line of scrimmage (or risk allowing penetration).

Injury history is very important. don't want guys who miss games, because of the importance of continuity. 4 of the 5 usually get offseason surgery. NO EGO. INSIDE 3 must be brilliant. huge amount of time is spent on these guys making decisions. Guards must be able to decipher intricate details from the opponent's stance.

But, there is a minimum threshold of strength that a guy must have. Cannot have guys who get driven back.

the whole article

Gore seems to fit this system, too.

lol!

THIS draft will MOST LIKELY HAPPEN? I couldn't even get past your first pick, which will not happen.

I'm not sure where you people get this info. He's 6'5, 303 lbs according to his combine measurements and he's only 22 years old. You don't think he could add at least 10 lbs in the next couple years (I can do it in less than a week, haha).

sincearly,49erswebzone freak (49ersfan831)

I didn't realize this was your mock draft thread... I must have clicked on the wrong link.
Not a fan, plus he is a natural LT
If Charles Brown could be a Pro Bowl LT, but doesn't have the drive block ability to be a RT, than the question is does Joe Staley have that drive-block ability?

Cause there aren't that many RTs in this draft, who can drive block and have fast enough feet to also pass protect.

If Trent Williams is gone when we pick, Anthony Davis has both, but the question is does he have enough heart?

If you think Anthony Davis doesn't have enough heart, than you had better ask if Staley could play RT.
Thanks for the info on zone blocking.
I've seen Charles Brown play many games and he a very good to great pass blocker. he really don't have much drive blocking on a run play he gets into his guy stays on him. he will get bigger and fill out if they draft him that will be a good pick.
Share 49ersWebzone