There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Anthony Davis

Davis needs a push but he has all the tools.

He's still pretty young so maybe he just hasn't been pushed the right way. He turns 21 in October and we certainly have a coach who can get the best out of players named Davis ;)

Anthony has the tools to be the best OT in this draft class so if he's available at #13 and the other guys aren't I think it's a good gamble to make. Just put in some big incentives for hitting the gym/workouts.
Every pick has bust potential. Talent and physical tools are not the issue, Davis has them in spades. If we take Davis it will be because Singletary is comfortable with the kid having sat down and talked with him and figured out that he has the passion to play pro football.

[ Edited by PA9erFaithful on Apr 4, 2010 at 16:40:38 ]
  • LA49erFan4ever
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by genus49:

He's still pretty young so maybe he just hasn't been pushed the right way. He turns 21 in October and we certainly have a coach who can get the best out of players named Davis ;)

Anthony has the tools to be the best OT in this draft class so if he's available at #13 and the other guys aren't I think it's a good gamble to make. Just put in some big incentives for hitting the gym/workouts.

just because sing turned one player around doesnt make him a miracle worker when it comes to players personalities and i dont even think sing can turn davis around..he looks like he doesnt want to do anything to improve his game. in fact im pretty sure the only thing he cares about at this point is getting a nice contract so that way he can half @$$ his way through the NFL..aslong as he is getting paid
Originally posted by LA49erFan4ever:

just because sing turned one player around doesnt make him a miracle worker when it comes to players personalities and i dont even think sing can turn davis around..he looks like he doesnt want to do anything to improve his game. in fact im pretty sure the only thing he cares about at this point is getting a nice contract so that way he can half @$$ his way through the NFL..aslong as he is getting paid

And you know this how? You talk to the guy? Talk to anyone close to him? Talk to his coaches?

Singletary has a really fiery personality and has a way of getting the best out of players. He tells it like it is but he also acts like a father figure to many of these guys. As I mentioned Anthony is only 20 years old and if Sing feels he just needs a little push taking a gamble on that type of talent is fine in my book.

Sometimes guys are just immature and need someone to grab their facemask tell them how things are in the real world, then pat them on the back and tell them you're part of the team. Sometimes that's enough.

You may have a different opinion but unless you have some insider info your info is just as useless as mine.
  • bret
  • Veteran
I don't trust any of these reports coming out of pro days. Too many teams have too much at stake to state honestly what they're thinking.

The tape made Davis a top 5 prospect. The "anonymous reports" are making him fall. I would bet those "anonymous reports" are coming from teams lower in the draft who would like a top 5 talent with a 20 or 25 pick!
I think the true question is will coach Sing have an impact on Davis similar to the one on Vernon. If coach thinks the answer is yes we very well could take him.
Lol hater.
  • dald1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA49erFan4ever:

its clear that you have no clue what your talking about especially talking about his drive....
"
“Just imagine the hardest you’ve ever worked for anything in your life. You’ve been wanting to do it since you were 8 years old,” he said. “You’ve been watching the same event (the NFL Draft) and dreaming (of it). That’s the only way I can explain it. It’s a lifelong dream.”"

“Questioning my love of football, that’s a joke,” Davis bristled recently. As for his poor workout at the Combine -- only 21 reps at 225 pounds -- he said, “I’m one of the younger guys (20) in the draft. I have a lot of time to develop my strength. I know I have to be stronger at the next level.”

Doesnt exactly sound like a guy who "just wants a contract"
What makes this guy worth trading up for? Why not wait, he likely would have been there at #13.

Re: Anthony Davis per CBS Sportsline:
“This was Davis' second weight-related issue in three years …. he reported to school at 363 pounds. "That was me being a fat kid," he said. . . .. Davis again ran afoul of the coaching staff as a junior, as he was benched before injuries on the line forced the coach to re-insert him back into the lineup. He was not the team leader in blocking consistency grades (82.58 percent), knockdowns (89) or touchdown-resulting blocks, yet his reputation as an athlete saw him get second-team All-American honors. Even the league coaches ONLY named him to the All-Big East SECOND team. . . . . Allowed 6.5 quarterback sacks and eight pressures on 699 pass plays. . . . 10 yd dash 1.81 . . . 20 yard 3.01 . . . 40 yd dash 5.36 . . . cone 8.17 . . . . bench 21 . . . . . .

These numbers don’t scream ‘athleticism’. I don’t see the great athleticism that was worth trading up to #11 for a guy purportedly with an attitude problem. He didn't even make first team Big East. I would have traded down (or picked Brandon Graham or Earl Thomas). But the scouts know a lot more than I do (hopefully).
Originally posted by maxsmart:
What makes this guy worth trading up for? Why not wait, he likely would have been there at #13.

“This was Davis' second weight-related issue in three years …. he reported to school at 363 pounds. "That was me being a fat kid," he said. . . .. Davis again ran afoul of the coaching staff as a junior, as he was benched before injuries on the line forced the coach to re-insert him back into the lineup. He was not the team leader in blocking consistency grades (82.58 percent), knockdowns (89) or touchdown-resulting blocks, yet his reputation as an athlete saw him get second-team All-American honors. Even the league coaches ONLY named him to the All-Big East SECOND team. . . . . Allowed 6.5 quarterback sacks and eight pressures on 699 pass plays. . . . 10 yd dash 1.81 . . . 20 yard 3.01 . . . 40 yd dash 5.36 . . . cone 8.17 . . . . bench 21 . . . . . .

These numbers don’t scream ‘athleticism’. I don’t see the great athleticism that was worth trading up to #11 for a guy purportedly with an attitude problem. He didn't even make first team Big East. I would have traded down (or picked Brandon Graham or Earl Thomas). But the scouts know a lot more than I do (hopefully).

I'm probably a little older than most of you who post on here, but I remember a time when 49er fans would never second guess our organization or coach when it came to draft picks. It's been a TOUGH ten years or so, but I finally have faith in what our organization is doing. More specifically, I believe in Coach Sing's ability to look a guy in the eye and determine if he is a MAN. Sing likes Anthony Davis, so I like Anthony Davis. Sing likes Mike Iupati, so I like Mike Iupati. I think what the 49er fan base needs is a little more FAITH. I mean, we are fans, aren't we? Maybe it's just the old school in me but I bleed red and gold no matter what
I love this pick since he has Singletary's approval.

There is no questioning his talent and physical tools. What people had a problem with was his lack of fire, a drive to succeed and be a great player in the nfl.

Singletary may not be able to make every low life bum getting smashed on the streetcorners want to clean up their act and go to night school, and I doubt very much he even has the skill of a Mike Nolan at talent evaluation but one thing that Singletary can without a doubt be counted on for is determining a players passion for the game.

Singletary knows what it means to want to be great, he knows and can recognize the fire and passion. If Singletary recognizes this desire in Davis enough to sign off on him, (and he certainly did, I doubt he would've drafted him otherwise) this is good enough for me. We finally have an o-line staff with a reputation for developing young players and being able to provide the right learning environment for talented but inexperienced players. He has the coaching, he has the physical tools, and he has the desire---the sky's the limit for this kid.
Originally posted by maxsmart:

If he played at Oklahoma, people wouldn't even know who Trent Williams is.

He played with a horrendously poor quarterback, who would run into sacks. The rest of his line was as strong as a popcorn necklace.
Thank God that idiot quarterback of theirs allowed Davis to slide down to us.

Anthony Davis was like Brain and the rest of that offense was Inspector Gadget.
All the work, none of the glory.
All this talk about Davis having issues is just hearsay. He was 365 pounds his freshman year at Rutgers so obviously he's been working on his weight for some time now.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I love this pick since he has Singletary's approval.

There is no questioning his talent and physical tools. What people had a problem with was his lack of fire, a drive to succeed and be a great player in the nfl.

Singletary may not be able to make every low life bum getting smashed on the streetcorners want to clean up their act and go to night school, and I doubt very much he even has the skill of a Mike Nolan at talent evaluation but one thing that Singletary can without a doubt be counted on for is determining a players passion for the game.

Singletary knows what it means to want to be great, he knows and can recognize the fire and passion. If Singletary recognizes this desire in Davis enough to sign off on him, (and he certainly did, I doubt he would've drafted him otherwise) this is good enough for me. We finally have an o-line staff with a reputation for developing young players and being able to provide the right learning environment for talented but inexperienced players. He has the coaching, he has the physical tools, and he has the desire---the sky's the limit for this kid.

I like the dude. Here's hoping he doesn't go all Kwame Harris on us.