LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 202 users in the forums

Anthony Davis

When it comes to the draft, the only 49er advantage is the motivational power of Mike Singletary. Physically talented players, who fall due to lack of dedication and commitment, should be players that we consider taking. And its good that Singletary is doing more background checks for this draft. Can Singletary light a fire under all of them? No. But he was able to resurrect Ahmed Brooks, and transform Vernon Davis from a me first guy to a team captain.

Don't right Anthony Davis off so soon.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Too much of a risk with a 1st round pick. You can't compare him to someone like Vernon Davis. Vernon had an attitude problem...very different from being a slouch. Anthony Davis came out of shape to combine, he came unprepared and didn't horribly in his interviews.

If a player comes unprepared for the biggest day of his life (to get paid millions of dollars) - is he really going to try after he gets paid???

Of course he dominated in college - and that's great. But, Rashaun Woods dominated in college too. In face, he was one of the best WR in that class (as far as the college career goes) - but being talented means nothing if you're lazy and careless.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
The thing is you didn't haar of any of this stuff about Davis until he showed up at the Combine. Bad attitude, lazy, not committed. Where was all this stuff befor he was the 2nd rated OT behind only Okung? I think he needs to be thoroughly checked before I can say this guy is not wothy of a high pick. I'm sure Sing and Baalke will have him come in to check him out. If he's just young and immature that's not enough for me not to take this guy, because on tape everyone says this guy can play.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Mar 25, 2010 at 20:28:22 ]
Originally posted by mayo63:
The thing is you didn't haar of any of this stuff about Davis until he showed up at the Combine. Bad attitude, lazy, not committed. Where was all this stuff befor he was the 2nd rated OT behind only Okung? I think he needs to be thoroughly checked before I can say this guy is not wothy of a high pick. I'm sure Sing and Baalke will have him come in to check him out. If he's just young and immature that's not enough for me not to take this guy, because on tape everyone says this guy can play.

Originally posted by teeohh:
Was a three-year starter for the Scarlet Knights --- Named 2nd Team All-Big East in 2008 and 1st Team in 2009 --- Also garnered some All-American notice in 2009 --- Was one of the nation's top recruits coming out of high school and had offers to all the big-time programs but chose to stay home and sign with Rutgers --- Weighed 366 pounds when he arrived at college --- Started at guard in 2007 before moving to left tackle for good the following year --- Sat out a game in 2008 due to a violation of team rules --- Was briefly demoted to the second team after reporting to camp overweight in 2009 --- Suspended for the first quarter of a game in 2009 after arriving late to a team function --- Is arguably the most talented blocker in this class but needs to grow up and stay in shape --- Boom or Bust type of prospect with rare gifts but might lack the intangibles required to maximize his immense potential.

sucks about his dedication questions
If he is lazy and gets the job done on game days then fine.

Crabtree basically just walked onto an NFL field and started playing. If you have talent you have talent. Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson used to play baseball half the year and then walk into the football season and dominate.

So let's say he is too lazy to fulfill his potential and he just plays as well as he played in college. That's still pretty darn good.

I don't want to look up the name, but there was a top Olympic decathlon medalist who drank and smoked during the Olympics, but he was so darn talented he won anyway. Some guys have so much talent, it comes easy to them and they don't feel the need to put in 110%.

I think a player like this is much better than a guy who has tons of "potential", works hard, yet has been inconsistent in college. If the other three are gone, I would take him at 13. Let his lazy ass come in and protect Alex Smith better than any of the hard workers we have now. We need TALENT on the O-line.

[ Edited by BrianGO on Mar 25, 2010 at 22:36:22 ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
If he is lazy and gets the job done on game days then fine.

Crabtree basically just walked onto an NFL field and started playing. If you have talent you have talent. Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson used to play baseball half the year and then walk into the football season and dominate.

So let's say he is too lazy to fulfill his potential and he just plays as well as he played in college. That's still pretty darn good.

I don't want to look up the name, but there was a top Olympic decathlon medalist who drank and smoked during the Olympics, but he was so darn talented he won anyway. Some guys have so much talent, it comes easy to them and they don't feel the need to put in 110%.

I think a player like this is much better than a guy who has tons of "potential", works hard, yet has been inconsistent in college. If the other three are gone, I would take him at 13. Let his lazy ass come in and protect Alex Smith better than any of the hard workers we have now. We need TALENT on the O-line.

In college - with talent you can still be successful and lazy. In NFL - you can be a WR or CB and be lazy and be successful. But, as a QB or OT - you can't be afford to be lazy. Both of those positions requires hours of film watching after practices. OL has to gel together and be on the same page and they've to put in extra hours to do that.

This is the biggest reason why all the OTs drafted recently with a lazy tag have failed in NFL. Either they have to be moved inside or are back-ups or need to be upgraded. Take Mike Williams from few years ago to Andre Smith from last year.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Was a three-year starter for the Scarlet Knights --- Named 2nd Team All-Big East in 2008 and 1st Team in 2009 --- Also garnered some All-American notice in 2009 --- Was one of the nation's top recruits coming out of high school and had offers to all the big-time programs but chose to stay home and sign with Rutgers --- Weighed 366 pounds when he arrived at college --- Started at guard in 2007 before moving to left tackle for good the following year --- Sat out a game in 2008 due to a violation of team rules --- Was briefly demoted to the second team after reporting to camp overweight in 2009 --- Suspended for the first quarter of a game in 2009 after arriving late to a team function --- Is arguably the most talented blocker in this class but needs to grow up and stay in shape --- Boom or Bust type of prospect with rare gifts but might lack the intangibles required to maximize his immense potential.

sucks about his dedication questions

Thank you. People don't hear about these things till combine because national sports media doesn't report it or doesn't really investigate into them till then.
I don't know this guy was the 2nd rated tackle behind Okung before all this stuff happended. He's only 20 so he has some growing up to do, but if he falls because of maturity concerns and Sing and Baalke have checked him out as just being immature and that's it, I say take him at #17 and don't look back. He could be a real steal at #17.

Exactly my thoughts. It'd be hard to be upset at ourselves if he didn't pan out cuz he's much better than the 17th best player in the draft. It'd be worth the shot cuz the upside with him is so tremendous. 20. I was a SOB when i was 20. I still might be.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
I don't know this guy was the 2nd rated tackle behind Okung before all this stuff happended. He's only 20 so he has some growing up to do, but if he falls because of maturity concerns and Sing and Baalke have checked him out as just being immature and that's it, I say take him at #17 and don't look back. He could be a real steal at #17.

Exactly my thoughts. It'd be hard to be upset at ourselves if he didn't pan out cuz he's much better than the 17th best player in the draft. It'd be worth the shot cuz the upside with him is so tremendous. 20. I was a SOB when i was 20. I still might be.

This guy can be the steal of the draft if all he is is a little immature.
He'd be a better pick than Trent Williams...because he's proven he can play LT. He has the stuff to be a beast...providing he has a solid work ethic and his character is sound. That's where Singletary can make his mark...he has excellent abilities to "read" players and figure out if they have the right stuff beyond what the tapes say. Coach has also said if he acquires a better LT than Staley, he'd move Joe back to RT without hesitation. Bulaga's the guy I'd prefer, because he comes from a pro-style offense at Iowa, can play both OT positions, and seems to be the most pro-ready maybe outside of Okung. Opinions on OT's differ quite a bit...but Davis has LT ability and could be the guy if Singletary's satisfied his worth ethic and character are good.

This guy Sucks!! Slow feet. This guy cant handle a bull rush worth anything. He is slow. I hope we dont pick this guy. He was beat so many times last year
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
This guy Sucks!! Slow feet. This guy cant handle a bull rush worth anything. He is slow. I hope we dont pick this guy. [b]He was beat so many times last year

im assuming u didnt see him play last year?
This guy scares me, lots of potential but has huge bust potential too. Either gonna hit gold or the stock market will crash on you. Too much Kwame Harris written on this one. No in between.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
This guy Sucks!! Slow feet. This guy cant handle a bull rush worth anything. He is slow. I hope we dont pick this guy. [b]He was beat so many times last year

No I didnt. How'd you know?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

No I didnt. How'd you know?

talent wise he was fairly good he does need to work on his feetwork a little but he difinitally did not get beat that much talent and potential wise he is a top 10 pick after the season ended (before combine and such) he was a top 10 lock only problem he has is character issues and work ethic not saying there not important but talent wise he is pretty good
Share 49ersWebzone