Not a member? Register Now!

Geek's Final Mock Plan

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Free Agency -

Barry Sims - OT
*We need to resign him - pronto: 2 year, 6 M deal

Gibril Wilson - S - Dolphins (cut)
*An overrated player, but an upgrade over Mark Roman. Adds needed experienced depth in the secondary.

NFL Draft -

R1: Trent Williams - OT - Oklahoma

Draftcountdown's take:

Quote:
Ideal bulk --- Fantastic athlete --- Quick --- Agile --- Nimble feet --- Good balance --- Natural knee bender --- Moves well laterally --- Mobile with range to get to the second level --- Can hit a moving target --- Great strength --- Stout at the point of attack --- Gets a good push in the run game --- Able to adjust and recover when beat --- Understands positioning and excels at sealing off defenders --- Solid instincts and awareness --- Violent initial punch --- Tough --- Nasty with a killer instinct --- Has a lot of experience against top competition --- Versatile.

R1: Kyle Wilson - CB/KR - Boise State

NFL Draft Scout's Take:

Quote:
Wilson is a four-year starter for the Broncos and received his second straight All-Western Athletic Conference first team award in 2009. Wilson has made 40 total tackles and three interceptions, two of which he returned for touchdowns. He has also been Boise State's primary punt returner again in 2009 returning 20 punts for a 10.4 yards-per-return average. In his career at Boise State, Wilson has made 151 career tackles, intercepted 11 passes and averaged 12.7 yards-per-punt return. He has also returned three punts for touchdowns in his career.

R2: Cam Thomas - NT - North Carolina

NFL.com's Take:

Quote:
A two year starter for the Tar Heels, Thomas primarily was a run stopper in the Carolina defense. He has a huge body but lacks great quickness, lateral agility and speed. He rarely makes a play out of the tackle box and appears to lack conditioning throughout the contest. He isn't an explosive player but is tough to get movement on when defending the run. He lacks an expanded pass-rush package and only flashes the ability to push the pocket when bull rushing. He is an inconsistent reactor as blocking schemes unfold and needs to improve in this phase of the game. Thomas is clearly a two-down player who could be limited as a nose tackle at the next level, but players with his size and strength are hard to find.

R3: Jacoby Ford - WR/KR - Clemson

NFL.com's Take:

Quote:
Ford is an explosive receiver that has a lot of skills but is a bit on the undersized side. There were concerns about his hands as he likes to body catch a lot of balls but he showed pluck ability in the Senior Bowl practices this winter. He definitely has long speed as he ran a 6.52 60-meter dash in the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships in March of 2009. He has a tendency to rely on his track speed at times, and will need to work on altering how fast he runs his routes. He probably fits the role of a slot receiver as a team’s No. 3 receiver.

R4: Daniel Te'o-Neshiem - DE/OLB - Washington

NFL Draft Scout's Take:

Quote:
A classic overachiever, Te'o-Nesheim lacks the size and speed NFL scouts are trained to look for, but he started all 49 games in which he played with the Huskies and proved to be one of the Pac-10's most consistent defenders over the past three seasons.

The two-time second-team all-Pac-10 honoree leaves with eye-popping numbers: 194 tackles, 47 tackles for loss and as the school's all-time leader with 30 career sacks. He showed a penchant for coming up with big plays when the Dawgs needed them and was one of few standouts on an otherwise weak unit throughout much of his career.

R5: Ciron Black - OT/OG - LSU

Draft Countdown's Take:
Quote:

First name is pronounced "Suh-ron" --- Was a four-year starter for the Bayou Bengals --- Named 2nd Team All-SEC in both 2007 and 2008 and 1st Team in 2009 --- Recipient of the 2009 Jacobs Blocking Trophy, which goes to the top offensive lineman in the SEC as voted on by the league’s coaches --- Started 53 consecutive games since beginning of 2006 season, breaking Andrew Whitworth's school record --- Played left tackle in college but projects to right tackle or perhaps even guard at the next level --- Has the sheer talent to start in the NFL but will need to get in better shape and be more consistent --- Not quite the pro prospect that his college press clippings would lead you to believe.

R6: Chris Brown - RB - Oklahoma
*Competes for the #3 RB position with Michael Robinson. Secures depth and special teams talent.

R7: Josh Hull - ILB - Penn State
*Competes with Wilhem for the backup TED spot.

Depth Chart -

QB: Smith/Carr*/Davis

- Carr poses an interesting threat to Smith. For sure we are moving towards a vertical style offense.

RB: Gore/Coffee/Brown*
FB: Norris/Robinson

- I think our front office believes in Coffee. Brown is a SEC guy that could compete with Coffee for the #2 role. Gore is our core offensive player as usual.

TE: Davis/Walker/Curtis*
WR: Crabtree/Hill
WR: Morgan/Jones
WR: Ford*

- With the addition of Ford and the recovery of Jones, we'll have more speed on the field. Ford provides a critical KR special teams role as well.

LT: Staley/Sims
LG: Baas/Black*
OC: Heitmann/Wallace
RG: Rachal/Wragge
RT: Williams*/Snyder

- Williams obviously fills a huge need for us. Black is drafted to add competition for Baas at LG. I expect Solari and Brown to provide a positive impact on Staley and Rachal to improve their play.

LE: Smith/McDonald
NT: Franklin/Thomas*
RE: Sopoaga/Balmer

- Thomas gets to learn the ropes at NT while Franklin starts. Provides an insurance and long-term solution at the position in 2010. The rest remains the same.

OLB: Lawson/Brooks
ILB: Willis/McKillop
ILB: Spikes/Wilhem PS: Hull*
OLB: Haralson/Teo*/Briggs

- The main addition is Te'o-Neshiam from Washington. He can compete with Haralson in pre-season, as well as Briggs for a rotational spot. Secures depth at the position.

CB: Clements/Brown/Paymah*
CB: Spencer/Wilson*
FS: Goldson/Wilson*
SS: Lewis/Smith

- Paymah, G. Wilson, and K. Wilson fortify a secondary preparing to make its step into the playoffs. The 49ers get younger and faster with these additions while keeping their core players in Spencer, Goldson, Clements, and Lewis.

ST: Nedney, Lee, Jennings
KR: Ford*, Robinson, K. Wilson*, and/or Coffee
PR: K. Wilson*, Ford*, or B. Jones

- We basically add two threats on special teams with Ford and Wilson, allowing for Robinson, Coffee, and Jones to concentrate on blocking.
Nice mock
not my favorite picks, but still a solid mock non the less...I would be satisfied with that.
the one thing I might switch is the 2nd and 4th rounders. I would like to see Hughes or Sapp in the 2nd at OLB and a back-up NT type in the 4th.
I like everything except the Round 2 pick. There's no way he gets past Buffalo, whose trying to build their 3-4. If he's there then take him, if not, I'd look for an OLB or safety.

Overall, very good job GEEK
were Ryan Mathews and Brandon Graham available when you chose Wilson?
not really liking the wilson pick at 17
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
I like everything except the Round 2 pick. There's no way he gets past Buffalo, whose trying to build their 3-4. If he's there then take him, if not, I'd look for an OLB or safety.

Overall, very good job GEEK

I am assuming Buffalo is going to snag Dan Williams with their first round draft pick.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teeohh:

I don't anticipate Matthews being that far up on the draft board for the 49ers. Graham would be available, but let me pose this question for you:

Did our squad lose more games due to a lack of pass rush or due to poor special teams and secondary? Titans, Texans, and Vikings game can be blamed by secondary and special teams.

Don't get me wrong, I love Graham and I have stated on here that improving the pass rush improves the secondary. But the fact we are three deep at OLB and one, maybe two deep at CB and no real candidate for special teams made me go with Wilson over Graham.

Both will be good players, Wilson has more immediate value to the 49ers and allows Ahmed Brooks and, with my mock, Teo to establish depth and a rotation at OLB.
Not a fan of using a 1st round pick on a CB. Clements, Spencer, Brown, Bly/Harris and maybe a 3rd/4th round CB is fine by me
That would be a good draft. I don't mind the Wilson pick at all and Te'o-Neshiem could be a sleeper at OLB.
I like it. O-line and secondary help. And I think K.Wilson will be a real ball hawk. And J.Ford has PR/KR down. Playoffs
the niners would never take wilson at 17 that's too high....he is probably rated in the 20's on the niners and most other draft boards
Originally posted by GEEK:

I don't anticipate Matthews being that far up on the draft board for the 49ers. Graham would be available, but let me pose this question for you:

Did our squad lose more games due to a lack of pass rush or due to poor special teams and secondary? Titans, Texans, and Vikings game can be blamed by secondary and special teams.

Don't get me wrong, I love Graham and I have stated on here that improving the pass rush improves the secondary. But the fact we are three deep at OLB and one, maybe two deep at CB and no real candidate for special teams made me go with Wilson over Graham.

Both will be good players, Wilson has more immediate value to the 49ers and allows Ahmed Brooks and, with my mock, Teo to establish depth and a rotation at OLB.

So you think Wilson can be a starter this season?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:

So you think Wilson can be a starter this season?

I think he can beat out Brown for the #3 CB. With the injury problems that Spencer has and the inconsistency that Clements has, I wouldn't be surprised if he is a starter.

Will he beat out Spencer and Clements if they are healthy? I think Singletary will favor the vets over him.