LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 165 users in the forums

People need to forget Spiller

I all but guarantee that Scott will NOT choose Spiller, even if available at 17, in the 1st round. For the same reason he will not draft Iupati in the 1st.

Scott makes selections in the draft based on his preconceived formula. He doesn't choose Guards until the 2nd at earliest. Scott also stays away from RB's in the 1st few rounds as well.

Scott will stick to his formula regardless of what makes sense. The 1st is for QB's, Dlinemen, OT's, CB's.

Picks like Vernon Davis were all Nolan, when he had final say. I don't believe Scott likes taking skill positions early, and only chose Crabtree lastyear because of his slide.

I am calling it, Scott will pass twice on Spiller.
  • DJD
  • Veteran
Don't underestimate Singletary's passion for a running attack to sway the vote on this one.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
I all but guarantee that Scott will NOT choose Spiller, even if available at 17, in the 1st round. For the same reason he will not draft Iupati in the 1st.

Scott makes selections in the draft based on his preconceived formula. He doesn't choose Guards until the 2nd at earliest. Scott also stays away from RB's in the 1st few rounds as well.

Scott will stick to his formula regardless of what makes sense. The 1st is for QB's, Dlinemen, OT's, CB's.

Picks like Vernon Davis were all Nolan, when he had final say. I don't believe Scott likes taking skill positions early, and only chose Crabtree lastyear because of his slide.

Might wanna add WR to that list
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I don't know that I agree with that, but I do agree he will pass on Spiller. A 1st rounder for a situational back/ returner just isn't good value. I also agree that certain positions should almost never be 1st rounders - TE, S, G, C, and MLB. There are exceptions obviously but for the most part there isn't much drop off in later rounds for those positions.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Based on what ? Can you tell me which OG's that we could have drafted in the 1st in the past ?
I am on the "pass on Spiller" bandwagon.

The Niners desperately need to fix their OL and their holes on defense. You can get a KR/PR in later rounds.

I'm all for the best OL or Haden (he ran a 4.43 today) at 13, or the best OL, Graham, or Thomas at 17.
Looking at the last few drafts I see no type of pattern. He has only drafted one OT period. That scares me.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Based on what ? Can you tell me which OG's that we could have drafted in the 1st in the past ?

Scott has come out and stated that interior linemen have a lower value in his mind, and that he would not likely ever pay a FA of our own looking for a large payday (IE let Smiley walk when he was playing at a PB lvl with us), that he was unlikely to ever bring in a FA starting Guard unless it was for a deal, and that the position did not warrant a 1st round selection.
[ Edited by WINiner on Mar 17, 2010 at 9:22 AM ]
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Might wanna add WR to that list

Might wanna finish reading the post before replying
Originally posted by DJD:
Don't underestimate Singletary's passion for a running attack to sway the vote on this one.

Sing wants a between the tackles run game. He is perfectly happy with Gore and I seriusly doubt he cares one little bit about Spiller. If anything your statement supports my claim. I see him pressing for linemen to accomplish his running game goals, and not Spiller.

Sing wants a between the tackles run game. He is perfectly happy with Gore and I seriusly doubt he cares one little bit about Spiller. If anything your statement supports my claim. I see him pressing for linemen to accomplish his running game goals, and not Spiller.

Sing has Gore and Coffee. Both similar type runners. Scot and Sing have both spoken about looking at a change of pace runner and if they had return abilities, would help the cause.
They'd rather have Jacoby Ford or Dexter McC than have Spiller, I guarantee it.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Sing has Gore and Coffee. Both similar type runners. Scot and Sing have both spoken about looking at a change of pace runner and if they had return abilities, would help the cause.

I have no doubt they do indeed covet a special teams guy/change of pace back

I just think that the fans perspective of Spillers value, and Scott/Sings are VASTLY differ. I all but Gaurantee they look for a starting T, S, CB, DL in the 1st round and will worry about filling ST and change of pace back needs later where there is better value.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

I have no doubt they do indeed covet a special teams guy/change of pace back

I just think that the fans perspective of Spillers value, and Scott/Sings are VASTLY differ. I all but Gaurantee they look for a starting T, S, CB, DL in the 1st round and will worry about filling ST and change of pace back needs later where there is better value.

How is Spiller at 13 not good value? We witnessed how horrible our team was at KR/PR. To the point where it cost us a game or two. Having someone back there to count on is valuable. Why not select the best kick returner in the draft who also happens to be the best running back that can spell Gore and allow him to have more gas when we make the playoffs.
He won't even be there

Share 49ersWebzone