LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 319 users in the forums

how about the BEST IMPACT PLAYER and not the best player available

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Ive seen alot of mocks drafting a cornerback or linebacker in the first round.

But do we really need a linebacker? we have willis, lawson, brooks and our sack totals are improving each year

Do we really need a cornerback with spencer, brown. and clements?

I dont see a reason why we need to draft a linebacker or a cornerback. lets say for instance we do, how much will they improve the team over what we already have?

now if we were to choose the BEST IMPACT PLAYER that will improve our team instantly, that would really help our team instead of choosing players that might not make that much of an impact THIS YEAR.

I say with our first we need IMPACT PLAYERS SUCH SPILLER, OL, OR A SAFETY; we dont need to address any other position in the first rounds.

we really need to address a replacement for lewis. a replacement for him will definitely have a big impact for our team this year and need to upgrade our offensive line.

can you guys name another player other than spiller that could have a bigger impact THIS year on our team when we pick in the first round?

so please no more mock drafts with us picking up a cornerback or a linebacker, just mmakes no sense.

Let me ask you a question. Besides P-Willy, do any of our current players on defense even approach Pro bowl level of play? None of our OLB's or CB's come close. I get your point that our overall defense is good, but the Niners could always use a premium player at those positions. A safety that can cover like an Ed Reed would be nice, too, but don't tell me that the Niners don't need another pass rusher or cover corner. THAT make no sense at all to me.

Dammit Jim, there you go using logic again.
Not sure I agree with a LB or CB not being able to be an impact player this year. I guy like Haden (if he slips to us which many are predicting he could) would push for a starting role quickly. Graham would add to an improving, but not dominating, pass rush and would be a big playmaker.

I'm not for drafting a tackle in the first unless one of the 'big 4' fall to us, only because there seem to be some great potential picks for the position in the 2nd round. But I would LOVE to see Spiller in a Niner uniform and really hate the mock drafts I'm seeing that predict him going to the Seahawks.

Any way we go, we'll have two impact players for this coming season and things are looking up. GO NINERS!!!
Impact players:

Eric Berry
Bryan Bulaga
Trent Williams
CJ Spiller
Joe Haden
Mike Iupati
Earl Thomas
Brandon Graham
Dexter McCluster
Kyle Wilson
Taylor Mays??? Could be steal/bust

I see both sides of the arguments... But really we are all arguing the same point...We need RT/LG, S, OLB, RS/RB..then blocking TE, CB depth/youth (unless we draft Haden/Wilson) ST/PR/KR, BPA for DL OL

This draft is exciting

But do we really need a linebacker? we have willis, lawson, brooks and our sack totals are improving each year

I dont see a reason why we need to draft a linebacker or a cornerback. lets say for instance we do, how much will they improve the team over what we already have?

now if we were to choose the BEST IMPACT PLAYER that will improve our team instantly, that would really help our team instead of choosing players that might not make that much of an impact THIS YEAR.

I say with our first we need IMPACT PLAYERS SUCH SPILLER, OL, OR A SAFETY; we dont need to address any other position in the first rounds.

we really need to address a replacement for lewis. a replacement for him will definitely have a big impact for our team this year and need to upgrade our offensive line.

can you guys name another player other than spiller that could have a bigger impact THIS year on our team when we pick in the first round?

so please no more mock drafts with us picking up a cornerback or a linebacker, just mmakes no sense.

Let me ask you a question. Besides P-Willy, do any of our current players on defense even approach Pro bowl level of play? None of our OLB's or CB's come close. I get your point that our overall defense is good, but the Niners could always use a premium player at those positions. A safety that can cover like an Ed Reed would be nice, too, but don't tell me that the Niners don't need another pass rusher or cover corner. THAT make no sense at all to me.

i never said they dont need another pass rusher or a corner, i said in the FIRST ROUND we should draft players that will have a big impact right off the bat. and i only see us drafting an OL, SAFETY or SPILLER that could step in from day one, and make an impact.

all the other needs, can be addressed from rounds 2

they could draft Dez Bryant at 13 and he would start over Morgan so he would be an impact player if they draft Spiller he will RK and back up Gore with the 13 pick is that an impact player? they can draft a KR in the later rounds. If they think Spiller can line up at WR then OK pick him at 13.

You are....WRONG.

The reason you see so many mocks with Best Player Available, is well, because thats the type of draft we do! Heck, just ask Scot himself

Q: In years past the 49ers have stuck with the common phrase, “We will take the best player available.” Are there any plans to focus more on a team need versus the best player available?

A: Absolutely not, best player available. You can never have enough good football players on your team. If you take the best player, you’re not living in year one, it’s living in the future as well. He’ll help you in year one, but he’ll also help you year two and on.

http://www.49ers.com/news-and-events/article-1/McCloughan%E2%80%99s-Mailbag-%E2%80%93-March-12/56a1135c-8e9f-481c-be2b-a5dd4ad295fb

So please, no more posting from you...period.

i never said they dont need another pass rusher or a corner, i said in the FIRST ROUND we should draft players that will have a big impact right off the bat. and i only see us drafting an OL, SAFETY or SPILLER that could step in from day one, and make an impact.

all the other needs, can be addressed from rounds 2

I don't think that the Niners are going to limit themselves by position when they make their choices in round 1.

I will agree that OT is a MUST in the first round if one of the big three is available (Bulaga, Okung or Williams). I wouldn't take Davis in the first round just because his Combine performance and skipping the Rutgers Pro Day workout for some undisclosed illness. That raises some red flags in my book.

If Eric Berry or Earl Thomas is available at safety, I would take them as well. However, if Taylor Mays is the only other safety available in the first round.........PASS!

Spiller COULD have an impact for maybe 10-15 snaps a game including the return game, but is that worth a 1st round pick? Someone might argue that a pass rusher like Graham would get the same amount of plays on defense and make just as much of an impact.
Share 49ersWebzone