There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OT Tiers Drop-off after Williams)...Might need to pass on OT in the first round

Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by 9erred:
Jaguars Ebon Britton, 2nd round pick played well at RT. You can find RT's in round twol.

If the Niners got Spiller and Graham in round 1, they could package their 2nd and third rounder to move up for Sam Baker OT for RT.

Sam Baker? Who is that? You mean the OT for the Falcons?

I think he meant Charles Brown from USC.

Charles Brown, both went to USC and I was typing too fast. Sorry. At work so this does not have my full attention.
Originally posted by stever:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think they should pass at #13 almost for sure. They will get a 2nd tier Tackle if they take one there. The top 4 - 5 could easily be gone. Why get a 2nd tier Tackle when they can get CJ Spiller at #13 and Brandon Graham at #17?

Get a Tackle in the 2nd round. You should be able to find a RT in the 2nd round. It's overrated to say you need a RT in the 1st round. In fact if you picking in the 1st that person should be able to play LT.

If the top 4 OT's are gone, getting two impact players like Spiller and Graham would be phenomenal. Who do you think are the targets for a 2nd or 3rd round OT to fit the bill?

The next tier guys are

Vladimir Ducasse (rd 2)
Roger Saffold (rd 2-3)
Jared Veldheer (rd 2-3)
Jason Fox (rd 3)
Selvish Capers (rd 3)
Ciron Black (rd 3-4)

I really like Saffold and Veldheer. Both are very athletic guys

From this list quoted, the reach at the 2nd round may be bigger than that in the 1st round. And third rounders will probably not be an immediate improvement over Snyder.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
I think they should pass at #13 almost for sure. They will get a 2nd tier Tackle if they take one there. The top 4 - 5 could easily be gone. Why get a 2nd tier Tackle when they can get CJ Spiller at #13 and Brandon Graham at #17?

Get a Tackle in the 2nd round. You should be able to find a RT in the 2nd round. It's overrated to say you need a RT in the 1st round. In fact if you picking in the 1st that person should be able to play LT.

If the top 4 OT's are gone, getting two impact players like Spiller and Graham would be phenomenal. Who do you think are the targets for a 2nd or 3rd round OT to fit the bill?

The next tier guys are

Vladimir Ducasse (rd 2)
Roger Saffold (rd 2-3)
Jared Veldheer (rd 2-3)
Jason Fox (rd 3)
Selvish Capers (rd 3)
Ciron Black (rd 3-4)

From this list quoted, the reach at the 2nd round may be bigger than that in the 1st round. And third rounders will probably not be an immediate improvement over Snyder.

Last year

Vollmver Sebastian round 2 started for NEw England and played well

William Beatty, late second round, started at Left and RT during the season and played well.

As mentioned above, ebon Britton did also.

If you have enough offensive fire power, the d coordinator has to respect the talent and not rush the qb constantly or get burned.
  • willworkforbecky
  • Info N/A
I've been thinking the same thhing for a while. Everyone just assumes that we will just take the highest rated tackle on the board but what if the 49ers only have 2 guys that they like out of the tackle class. This team really is in a position to take the BPA with a deep and talented draft class. I would go Haden at 13 and Graham at 17. Lets finish what we started on defence and make this a dominant unit. Get Ducasse in the 2nd and Mcluster(CJ Spiller 1B) in the 3rd. This would fill our needs as well as add good football players.

I don't believe Sing would automatically replace Snyder with a third rounder. The rookie would have to earn it. Even if the rookie replaced Snyder before the season started, there'd be no cohesion.

The next tier guys are

Vladimir Ducasse (rd 2)
Roger Saffold (rd 2-3)
Jared Veldheer (rd 2-3)
Jason Fox (rd 3)
Selvish Capers (rd 3)
Ciron Black (rd 3-4)

Last year

William Beatty, late second round, started at Left and RT during the season and played well.

If you have enough offensive fire power, the d coordinator has to respect the talent and not rush the qb constantly or get burned.

The next tier guys are

Vladimir Ducasse (rd 2)
Roger Saffold (rd 2-3)
Jared Veldheer (rd 2-3)
Jason Fox (rd 3)
Selvish Capers (rd 3)
Ciron Black (rd 3-4)

Last year

Don't forget Loadholt

and Sebastian was considered a reach last year as well
Jaguars Ebon Britton, 2nd round pick played well at RT. You can find RT's in round twol.

If the Niners got Spiller and Graham in round 1, they could package their 2nd and third rounder to move up for Sam Baker OT for RT.

Charles Brown, both went to USC and I was typing too fast. Sorry. At work so this does not have my full attention.

It's a good idea.. Trading back in the 1st to get Brown. He seems to be moving up the boards since the combine.

BTW.. maybe you should quit your day job and focus on becoming a full time zoner.
Originally posted by BigBug415:

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!

Exactly what we need to do.

agree so much as well
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A

He's what Solai seems to favor as far as foot work, and size for a zone blocking OL. man.Just need to move back into the first round in the mid 20's, probably need to use the 2011 first round, which will no doubt it'll be in the high 20's or low 30's!!
Originally posted by willworkforbecky:
I've been thinking the same thhing for a while. Everyone just assumes that we will just take the highest rated tackle on the board but what if the 49ers only have 2 guys that they like out of the tackle class. This team really is in a position to take the BPA with a deep and talented draft class. I would go Haden at 13 and Graham at 17. Lets finish what we started on defence and make this a dominant unit. Get Ducasse in the 2nd and Mcluster(CJ Spiller 1B) in the 3rd. This would fill our needs as well as add good football players.

Well, I agree with the BPA thought...

While Haden and Graham are obviously good players, Scotty's going to take whoever he has slotted on his board that's available at the time of his pick, regardless of need. He's a BPA guy, period (see Crabtree, Michael).

And just to contradict that, I doubt he'd take a QB or TE early. But pretty much any other position on the field would be fair game. We'll see.

Selvish Capers would be great.
Trade up.

JQ
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

We so rarely agree on anything, but in this case, I'm with you 100%.

We agree sometimes. It's not that bad. LOL...
After Davis and Campbell, the next tiered tackles are:
Charles Brown - (MD has him at #23)
Roger Saffold (had a very good combine, MD has him at #28)

They will probably be gone by our #49 pick.

Two tackles on Stever's list that the 49ers won't grade high enough:
Vladimir Ducasse wasn't quick at the combine, and will probably move inside to OG
Jared Veldheer at 6'8" has short arms at 33"

The two OTs that would be available at 49 are:
Jason Fox (serious knee injury)
Tony Washington 35.5" arm length, 5.19 40, 3rd most bench presses for OTs (33)

If we take a RT in the second round, it will be Tony Washington from Abilene Christian. And yes, he had consensual sex with his sister.

I have to say I agree. This is too logical. I hope we aren't in "draft an OL in the 1st round or bust" mode.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and trust me I've read all the Football Insiders data and Maiocco's article. However, from personal observation, our greatest weakness was the interior OL. Everyone asked Smith to "step up" in the pocket. This is only possible if the interior of the OL is effective. IMHO, Baas - Heitman - Rachal as a group were just beaten too often. McCloughan needs to find the next Hutchinson like he did in Seattle. IMHO, if the interior is better, you'll see bigger holes for Gore and Coffee.