LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

OT Tiers Drop-off after Williams)...Might need to pass on OT in the first round

Originally posted by teeohh:
check out this mock that has us getting Bulaga

Spiller and Mathews going in the top 10 is something mocks here haven't done, but it's possible

I would take this mock more seriously than just about any other that you see online. This guy was an actual scout for the NFL, and not only understands the proper way to evaluate the players, but also has inside knowledge into them teams/people responsible for drafting these players.
If the top 3 are gone I say we take Davis. We need a tackle, even if we have to reach a little. We need help right away. We've been looking for one for years. Ducasse, Saffold, or Veldheer aren't going to help as rookies. Those would probably be the choices in the 2nd.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think they should pass at #13 almost for sure. They will get a 2nd tier Tackle if they take one there. The top 4 - 5 could easily be gone. Why get a 2nd tier Tackle when they can get CJ Spiller at #13 and Brandon Graham at #17?

Get a Tackle in the 2nd round. You should be able to find a RT in the 2nd round. It's overrated to say you need a RT in the 1st round. In fact if you picking in the 1st that person should be able to play LT.

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!

Exactly what we need to do.

Davis can play LT.
I don't agree Williams is in the top 5...not when you consider he's limited to being a RT. He struggled the one year he played LT...so I wouldn't expect Singletary to draft him. He'll take the recommendations of OL Coach Solari to heart...and most likely pick an OT who's very agile, can play LT and can zone block. The way I see the draft unfolding is he'd take Bulaga, Campbell if available...if not, he just may go BPA at #13. Haden might be there...despite his lackluster 40 times at the combine, he's still arguably the best CB in the draft. There are other directions Coach could go...Iupati, DL, too. He could also pick Charles Brown...whom many prognosticators have going in the 20-25 range. At #17, that's not a big reach, and Brown is a guy who meets Solari's criteria...very agile, can play LT, and is very adept at zone blocking. I'd love it if we came out of the 1st rd with one of the top OT's and Iupati. I'd also be in favor of signing Gaither or even Bushrod...because they're both starters and are only 24. It'd cost one of the two 1st rd picks, but you'd be getting a player who's already battle tested.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
If the top 4 OTs are gone by #13, I think McCloughan will go BPA with that first pick (Joe Haden, Derrick Morgan or maybe JPP) then look hard at trading back with the #17 pick and grabbing someone like Charles Brown or Rodger Saffold later in the 1st.

Worse case, I think they grab Iupati at #17 and convert him to RT.

BPA!!! If we got, for example, JPP and Spiller (who I see there at 17), and another good player, whether it be OL or not, in the 2nd, our team gains the talent to be a playoff team. We would have been in the playoffs last year if instead of Battle fumbling punts, we would have Spiller taking them all the way back. If we had Spiller in the backfield to stretch the defense horizontally, instead of stacking 9 down the middle to try and stop Gore. If we had JPP actually chasing down VY and Shaub, and maybe even Manning. If we could constantly pressure QBs the way we did with Warner last year. If we had a CB with speed, if we had a QB of course. etc etc etc. Of course O-line is a huge need, but if we upgrade all across the board, we can be a playoff team without upgrading this one position. We should only draft an OT if he's the BPA

I just can't see us being a playoff team with the worst line in professional football. I hear what you are saying about BPA. But everything starts with the lines. And our O was dismal. Ignore it at your peril.

Most would agree with your point. However, do you reach for a lesser talent at #13 just to fill a need, or do you choose the best talent available with that first 1st rounder then manuever to grab an OT a little later (getting better value and possibly even another pick or two)?

I say, especially in the 1st round, always draft for value with an eye towards need, but never reach JUST to fill a need and bypass great talent.

I believe that we were ready to 'reach' for Oher at #10 if Crabtree wasn't there (barring a trade-down).
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think they should pass at #13 almost for sure. They will get a 2nd tier Tackle if they take one there. The top 4 - 5 could easily be gone. Why get a 2nd tier Tackle when they can get CJ Spiller at #13 and Brandon Graham at #17?

Get a Tackle in the 2nd round. You should be able to find a RT in the 2nd round. It's overrated to say you need a RT in the 1st round. In fact if you picking in the 1st that person should be able to play LT.

I think if Williams is there we have to pull the trigger on him. If he is gone, then Joe Haden or CJ Spiller is going to have to be there at 13 and we should take one of them. My preference is Haden but wouldnt be upset with Spiller at all. If either are still available at 17 then obiously I would want them. Graham would be a great alternative if they are gone.

#13 Williams, Haden, or Spiller
#17 Haden, Spiller, or Graham

Excellent break-down, especially at #13. I think we must also consider McClain if he's there, as well as Earl Thomas and Taylor Mays at 17.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
If the top 4 OTs are gone by #13, I think McCloughan will go BPA with that first pick (Joe Haden, Derrick Morgan or maybe JPP) then look hard at trading back with the #17 pick and grabbing someone like Charles Brown or Rodger Saffold later in the 1st.

BPA!!! If we got, for example, JPP and Spiller (who I see there at 17), and another good player, whether it be OL or not, in the 2nd, our team gains the talent to be a playoff team. We would have been in the playoffs last year if instead of Battle fumbling punts, we would have Spiller taking them all the way back. If we had Spiller in the backfield to stretch the defense horizontally, instead of stacking 9 down the middle to try and stop Gore. If we had JPP actually chasing down VY and Shaub, and maybe even Manning. If we could constantly pressure QBs the way we did with Warner last year. If we had a CB with speed, if we had a QB of course. etc etc etc. Of course O-line is a huge need, but if we upgrade all across the board, we can be a playoff team without upgrading this one position. We should only draft an OT if he's the BPA

I just can't see us being a playoff team with the worst line in professional football. I hear what you are saying about BPA. But everything starts with the lines. And our O was dismal. Ignore it at your peril.

Most would agree with your point. However, do you reach for a lesser talent at #13 just to fill a need, or do you choose the best talent available with that first 1st rounder then manuever to grab an OT a little later (getting better value and possibly even another pick or two)?

I say, especially in the 1st round, always draft for value with an eye towards need, but never reach JUST to fill a need and bypass great talent.

I believe that we were ready to 'reach' for Oher at #10 if Crabtree wasn't there (barring a trade-down).

Totally disagree on the reach part. I believe they had Oher high on their board even over Orakpo and maybe Raji. The fact is that McC and Co. follow their board and don't reach.

That is why I wouldn't put it past us to draft someone other than OT in the first if and only if the four top tackle are gone. However, I could see Anthony Davis dropping to us at #17 who could use a Singletary Team to mold his character and work ethic. If it weren't for those two issues, he would be an instant top 10 pick.

I would love a Spiller-Thomas/Graham...

Oher was no reach at #10, and his play this year proved that.

Oher was no reach at #10, and his play this year proved that.

I agree with that.

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!

I don't know why I never thought about that. I never really examined the 2nd round tackle prospects. If they're good enough, let's go BPA for both picks in the 1st

Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!

I don't know why I never thought about that. I never really examined the 2nd round tackle prospects. If they're good enough, let's go BPA for both picks in the 1st

If the top tackles are gone, then Haden, Spiller, Bryant, and one of the safeties could be available.
I dont see it.

Personally this is a no brainer to trade fro Gaither if he is avail...but....

I would be dissapointed if they did not at LEAST pick up IUPATI.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!

IF none of the top OT's are available, I'd say trade down from the #13 + 4th rounder for something with NE for the #22 and #57 they'd have something like:

#22 NE
#47 NE
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
I dont see it.

Personally this is a no brainer to trade fro Gaither if he is avail...but....

I would be dissapointed if they did not at LEAST pick up IUPATI.

Is this something we can do during the draft? What concerns me is that McCloughan isn't known as a wheeler and dealer - where he can pull something like that off day of or day before the draft.

If he cant.....

Then I dont see how the 49ers can pass on one of the top tackles at 17.

At 17 they should have thier CHOICE of the second bunch of tackles.

They dont have to settle for who slipped in to the second round...they can pick what ever tackle they WANT at 17

I would bet money that A tackle is going in the 20s

So really what does it matter if They take a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR need a couple of picks early....

Hell I would rather they get the guy they WANT then to trade away next years first and over pay to get a tackle like they did staley.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
What is wrong trading 2011 first and this yr. 3ed to NE. and draft Charles Brown at #22? Take two imedeate impact players at #13 , get as good a prospect ,if not better,because all the good jr's came out in this yrs draft due to the CBA problem.Personally, I'd like Spiller, Kyle Wilson, and Charles Brown this yr.in the first.
Share 49ersWebzone