LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 315 users in the forums

49ers draft board

Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by sbccpv20:
I have a different idea instead of doing the standard mock I was wondering what people thought the 49ers actual draft board looks like right now. This is what I think but I would also like to see what others think based on player performance, combine numbers, draft preferences and team needs. Remember this is not necessarily my top 20 but who I think the Scotty and the 49ers prefer.

1. Ndamukong Suh: can play NT and every position on the D-line
2. Russell Okung: need and great player
3. Gerald McCoy: great player but not best fit
4. Eric Berry: Scott does not value safeties but ability to cover like a corner
5. Derrick Morgan: Likes tall big OLBs
6. Joe Haden: Will run a fast forty at pro day and 5-11 is still good size for corner
7. Trent Williams: ive read the team likes him a lot
8. Bryan Bulaga: RT need
9. Dan Williams: big solid NT to replace Franklin
10. Sam Bradford: i think if he fell to 17 49ers would take him
11. Rolando McClain: Great player but positional value drops him down
12. Anthony Davis: RT need but weight issues
13. Jason Pierre-Paul: Tall big pass rusher but not best fit for 3-4
14. Dez Bryant: great receiver but we have Crabtree
15. Sergio Kindle: Tall fast rusher
16. Taylor Mays: not best positional value but combo of size speed Scotty loves
17. Everson Griffen: big tall rusher raw though
18. Jared Odrick: great 3-4 end would replace Isac
19. C.J. Spiller: Great player but I don’t think Scott values him like the board
20. Carlos Dunlap: amazing athlete but character questions and not the best fit.

Scot's draft board will not be stacked by team needs or with team needs in mind, but rather by grades he and the scouting and coaching staff assigns to each player. If Bradford grades higher Trent Williams for example then Bradford will rank above Williams on the draft board.
[ Edited by ishkabibel on Mar 14, 2010 at 8:46 AM ]
  • dald1
  • Veteran
I have a different idea instead of doing the standard mock I was wondering what people thought the 49ers actual draft board looks like right now. This is what I think but I would also like to see what others think based on player performance, combine numbers, draft preferences and team needs. Remember this is not necessarily my top 20 but who I think the Scotty and the 49ers prefer.

1. Ndamukong Suh: can play NT and every position on the D-line
2. Russell Okung: need and great player
3. Gerald McCoy: great player but not best fit
4. Eric Berry: Scott does not value safeties but ability to cover like a corner
5. Derrick Morgan: Likes tall big OLBs
6. Joe Haden: Will run a fast forty at pro day and 5-11 is still good size for corner
7. Trent Williams: ive read the team likes him a lot
8. Bryan Bulaga: RT need
9. Dan Williams: big solid NT to replace Franklin
10. Sam Bradford: i think if he fell to 17 49ers would take him
11. Rolando McClain: Great player but positional value drops him down
12. Anthony Davis: RT need but weight issues
13. Jason Pierre-Paul: Tall big pass rusher but not best fit for 3-4
14. Dez Bryant: great receiver but we have Crabtree
15. Sergio Kindle: Tall fast rusher
16. Taylor Mays: not best positional value but combo of size speed Scotty loves
17. Everson Griffen: big tall rusher raw though
18. Jared Odrick: great 3-4 end would replace Isac
19. C.J. Spiller: Great player but I don’t think Scott values him like the board
20. Carlos Dunlap: amazing athlete but character questions and not the best fit.
anothony davis has weight issues now? lol he reported to camp overweight one time in his college career and he has weight issues lmao...now if u said character issues thats a diff story...still worth taking kids a beast
  • evil
  • Veteran
Quote:
Scot's draft board will not be stacked by team needs or with team needs in mind, but rather by grades he and the scouting and coaching staff assigns to each player. If Bradford grades higher Trent Williams for example then Bradford will rank above Williams on the draft board.

I tend to agree with you but i think that is true with every position but QB. The thinking behind drafting the best overall player is that at every other position you could get 2 or 3 really good players snaps and touches, so even if your loaded at a position they could still help you. This is not true at the QB position, one guy plays one guy sits if Scott thinks were good at QB he would pass unless the QB was in a tier above the other player available. You have to understand teams grade players but also have a tier system in place. They'll group a few players together they think are of a similar value and then pick who they think will help the team the most.

And I think Bradford will likely be ranked somewhere in the top 5 players on our board.

I also would not be the least bit surprised if by chance one did fall to us (meaning Bradford or Clausen) and we had him ranked at the top of our board when our first pick comes up, we will pull the trigger if we don't have a good trade offer on the table. Even with a good offer they may opt to take the QB seeing as we do have 2 first round picks and with Smith entrenched as the starter and Carr the backup, the rookie could actually sit and learn.
Quote:

I tend to agree with you but i think that is true with every position but QB. The thinking behind drafting the best overall player is that at every other position you could get 2 or 3 really good players snaps and touches, so even if your loaded at a position they could still help you. This is not true at the QB position, one guy plays one guy sits if Scott thinks were good at QB he would pass unless the QB was in a tier above the other player available. You have to understand teams grade players but also have a tier system in place. They'll group a few players together they think are of a similar value and then pick who they think will help the team the most.

And I think Bradford will likely be ranked somewhere in the top 5 players on our board.

I also would not be the least bit surprised if by chance one did fall to us (meaning Bradford or Clausen) and we had him ranked at the top of our board when our first pick comes up, we will pull the trigger if we don't have a good trade offer on the table. Even with a good offer they may opt to take the QB seeing as we do have 2 first round picks and with Smith entrenched as the starter and Carr the backup, the rookie could actually sit and learn.

So then we trade/release Nate our current heir apparent at the QB position? Yikes
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
1. Suh
2. McCoy
3. Berry
4. Okung
5. JPP
6. Claussen
7. Haden
8. Bradford
9. Davis
10. Spiller
11. T. Williams
12. McClain
13. Bulaga
14. Grahm
15. Morgan
16. D. Williams
17. Iupati
18. Wilson
19. C. Brown
20. Hughes
21. Earl Thomas
22. Golden Tate
23. Kindle
24. Mays
25. Ryan Mathews

Is this your draft board or do you think this is Scot's draft board?

C. Brown over Earl Thomas?

Claussen over Bradford?

JPP #5 overall?

My thoughts on Scotty draft board. I'll address these issues. C. Brown is an athletic OT that can play both sides. The team, and Scotty in particular, have stated that they would love an OT that can play on both sides. He's also very similar to Staley coming out. Same experience, both converted TEs, with similar size/speed/strength combinations. Earl Thomas, on the other hand, is a small S. McCloughan has stated that this is a big man's game, and if you look at the safeties he's acquired, they are all big kids. Lewis, Smith, Taylor, Goldson. OT over S isn't even close when it comes to the team's perceived draft needs.

As for Claussen over Bradford, I see this as very similar to Smith vs. Rodgers. Rodgers played in a pro-style offense, and was ready now. Smith played in a spread, had many questions, but apparantly a higher ceiling. McCloughan won't take another QB from a spread with shoulder injuries. The similarities are just too striking. Claussen was widely considered the best prospect for a while, until he started taking some unjustified criticism for his personality.

As for JPP, you gotta jump on the bandwagon. This player has the highest ceiling in the draft (Suh and Berry included), and is a pass rusher, which always bumps you up. He's got a low floor too given his inexperience, but he's also got all the intangibles in the world to succeed. Draft Party, on YouTube did a thorough compalation of many of the plays he was in on (highlights and lowlights). Watch it. The guy lives in the backfield. You would think he's lining up next to the QB on some of those plays. He doesn't always make the tackle, and that's why his sack #s are low, but I haven't seen a more disruptive player in some time. Rumors were also going around that TB is considering him very strongly for their #3 pick. Don't sleep on JPP, 3-4 years down the road he could be the best player to come out of this draft..
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Quote:

So then we trade/release Nate our current heir apparent at the QB position? Yikes

When did Nate Davis become the heir apparent ? He is a late round developmental QB like hundreds and hundreds of QB's. If he pans out great, if not then it's no sweat off of Scot's balls. I understand the fans have anointed him as such but that does not make it true.

For every Tom Brady there are hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of Cody Pickett's & Tim Rattay's.

Nate Davis' upside and potential is nowhere near the level of Clausen and Bradford.
[ Edited by KRS-1 on Mar 15, 2010 at 6:48 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone