LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 213 users in the forums

Draft Spiller and then trade Gore to the Chargers

TeamByTheBay has been on a roll lately
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

I dont get why Frank Gore cant get any respect. I just dont get it. Spiller is not an everydown back in the NFL

Maybe cause Frank Gore can barely talk? Whenever he does an interview all i hear is "..you know?" every few seconds. Whereas Spiller is very coherent. That's my theory.
Yes, trade away a proven player for a total unknown just for the sake of getting two first round picks in 2011.

Some ideas are better left unsaid...
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by valrod33:

I dont get why Frank Gore cant get any respect. I just dont get it. Spiller is not an everydown back in the NFL

Maybe cause Frank Gore can barely talk? Whenever he does an interview all i hear is "..you know?" every few seconds. Whereas Spiller is very coherent. That's my theory.

he speaks on the field and honestly thats all that matters
Gore 4 lyfe....
No!!!
Gore is the starter!
Trade Coffee if we are ganna trade a Rb, or Robinson, or Norris

Unless someone is Throwing Ricky Williams type trade offer at us, the answer is no to trading Gore!!!!

Spiller will be Mr everything. He will allow us to not have D-Love on the field as much.

And Spiller was an every down back at Clemson, why wouldn't he be able to do it in the NFL. I know it was just for one year but h did pretty good I would say
LOL this is the same dude who saw Walt Harris
Originally posted by Youngone:
LOL this is the same dude who saw Walt Harris

• krizay
  • Veteran
This place amazes me with the lack of grasping to something outside the box. It's not all that bad of an idea especially if we were able to get a 2nd and 3rd round picks like the OP suggested.

We all when we selected Coffee because he was the same type of runner as Gore. The majority here want to draft Spiller to split time with Gore. While Coffee is no where near Gore in terms of proven ability. It still could be the same 1-2 punch the MASS wants with the drafting of Spiller. And again if we get a 2nd and 3rd for him

Way to think out side the box OP! If we could get the compensation you suggest. We have to at least consider the opportunity. Hell we could even sign a Thomas Jones or an LJ to play 2nd fiddle to Spiller. All the while picking up 2 high draft picks.

Originally posted by krizay:
This place amazes me with the lack of grasping to something outside the box. It's not all that bad of an idea especially if we were able to get a 2nd and 3rd round picks like the OP suggested.

We all when we selected Coffee because he was the same type of runner as Gore. The majority here want to draft Spiller to split time with Gore. While Coffee is no where near Gore in terms of proven ability. It still could be the same 1-2 punch the MASS wants with the drafting of Spiller. And again if we get a 2nd and 3rd for him

Way to think out side the box OP! If we could get the compensation you suggest. We have to at least consider the opportunity. Hell we could even sign a Thomas Jones or an LJ to play 2nd fiddle to Spiller. All the while picking up 2 high draft picks.

I'm all for thinking outside the box, but to trade away a pro-bowl back for an unproven commodoty, who most project as a situational back doesn't make a lot of sense. Considered it, but it still doesn't make much sense. I like that you're trying to get something for Frank when he still has worth, but I'm not sure at this point in our teams development this is a good move.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4DNinersSon:

I'm all for thinking outside the box, but to trade away a pro-bowl back for an unproven commodoty, who most project as a situational back doesn't make a lot of sense. Considered it, but it still doesn't make much sense. I like that you're trying to get something for Frank when he still has worth, but I'm not sure at this point in our teams development this is a good move.

RB (along with TE ) are the easiest positions to fill to get production. If we are looking to split carries with Gore and Spiller like this board suggest. We're talking what. 15-18 carries for Gore and only 7- 10 carries for Spiller. Spiller = waste of draft pick. If we draft Spiller and trad Gore and still want to split carries. 15-18 to Spiller and 7-10 for Coffee and pick up a 2nd and 3rd. doesn't seem bad to me.

FWIW. I don't want us to do this because I don't like Spiller that much. But putting that aside and looking from the OP's perspective. It's not that bad of a deal if handled right.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Trade away our only consistent player on offense over the last 4 years? Just because the idea is outside the box doesn't make it a good one.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Trade away our only consistent player on offense over the last 4 years? Just because the idea is outside the box doesn't make it a good one.

Just because we trade away Frank also don't make it a bad one.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Just because we trade away Frank also don't make it a bad one.

I just don't see the point. Seems like an unnecessary risk to me.
Share 49ersWebzone