LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 229 users in the forums

All four top OTs gone by #10, which OL then?

All four top OTs gone by #10, which OL then?

Originally posted by GMniner805:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by ninertico:
If Haden gets past Cleveland, there's a good possibility he will land to us. I didn't see anybody mention whether they would prefer Haden over Spiller for example at #13.

If Haden gets picked before we do, then I would say Spiller and then Iupati or Graham or trade back. In this draft we have the ability to take two players at the top of their respective positions:
Haden, CB--"#1 NFL Corner"--Mike Mayock
Spiller, RB/RS Two for one deal there!
Trent Williams, RT--"Pro Bowl potential"--Mike Mayock
Mike Iupati, OG--"Pro Bowl potential"--Mike Mayock
Brandon Graham, 3-4 pass rusher--Dominated the SB!

I wouldn't be mad with those two beautiful OLs in the first!

Still, that is one solid list!

If Haden is there he has to be the pick.

I disagree, let's say we take Haden at 13 there's no guarantee he'll start over Clements & Spencer as a rookie. Meaning we most likley will get little production from a very high pick.

If we take Spiller the sky is the limit as far as production goes. Were talking rushing yds, receiving yds & big plays on special teams. That sounds a lot more apealing to me then what ever contribution Haden could make as a nickel corner.

I'm sure Haden will become a great NFL player, but I don't see him keeping any OC's up late at night right away. On the other hand Spiller will instantly terrify DC's across the league, they will have to account for him every time he's on the field. If we were still rebuilding it would be a different story, but we need to win NOW.

Shut down corners have a lot more value than a RB. Haden is better than Clements right now and will start opening day IMO. For everyone that wants spiller over any other position, what do you guys think his stat line is going to be? My problem with spiller > OT is that our offense is not the most creative and his touches are going to be limited beyond speical teams. There have been threads going around lately that show how horrible our OL is. Had problems running the bowl over the LT, LG, & RT. How does spiller fix that? The hole he needs wont be big because of his speed? How's he going to do when a LB is filling the hole. Ive come around to saying I wouldn't mind drafting Spiller, but not at the cost of drating one of the top OT.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
If those 4 guys are gone, I'd rather go non-OT with those first 2 picks rather than reach for someone at 13 and 16/17. We could probably trade back and grab Charlws Brown or Vlad Ducasse, or stay put and go Jason Fox, Rodger Saffold or Jared Veldheer later.

I agree. I thought you was a big Bruce Campbell fan. Not high on him anymore?
Iupati then Ducasse in the 2nd.
i agree wth drafting haden or spiller
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
If somehow magically the top 4 OT's are gone by 13 then that only means an excellent player or two is gonna fall to us.
If the top OL are gone then take the best DE available. Then pick another O Tackle latter in the first but don't let a good DE get away because we are so focused on a Tackle.
If Haden gets past Cleveland, there's a good possibility he will land to us. I didn't see anybody mention whether they would prefer Haden over Spiller for example at #13.

If Haden gets picked before we do, then I would say Spiller and then Iupati or Graham or trade back. In this draft we have the ability to take two players at the top of their respective positions:

Spiller is much more exciting pick than Haden... but Haden is more necessary. I go with Haden.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
If it were me, I would go with Spiller at 13 and either Iupati or Brandon Graham at 17 (assuming they were available at those spots, respectively) and look for an OT in the second. No reaching for an OT, and I'm not a big fan of either Charles Brown or Bruce Campbell.

This
I don't think it would be a big deal. Starting RTs are commonly drafted outside of the 1st round. IMO, the 1st round is primarily reserved for LTs. If we can get a stud OT to put on the right side, great. If not, resign Pashos and draft a true RT.

If the top 4 guys are gone, we'll probably just go BPA at #13. Then if there's an OT the team really likes and views as a 1st rounder, we'll select him at #16/17. Either way, if we get out of the 1st without a RT, I don't think it's the end of the world.
I think that Okung and Davis will be shoe-ins for top 10. I think Bulaga will be on the fringe of it and may go to Buffalo.

It is Trent Williams stock that I will be watching. Will he grade out top 10 top 15 or top 25? Who are the other RT prospects and where will they go?
Trade down and grab Brown?
Use the second on Ducasse or Saffold? Would they be reaches here?
Use the third on Veldheer or Calloway?

Are any of those four that much worse than Williams at RT or is there really a serious drop-off in talent and production?

How about the OG class? There seems to be less pickings at the position. After Iupati, there is a serious drop in talent. Still, I like some Johnson seems more of a Zone blocker than Power and Jerry is the opposite. What about Asamoah, Ducasse, Petrus, and B. Carterm my boy from Texas Tech who I have had in my mock from day one?

On "Path to the Draft" tonight (03/09/10), Mike Mayock says he DOES NOT believe that the 4 top OTs (Okung, Bulaga, Williams, and Davis) will drop out of the top 10 picks. Mayock says Oklahoma's OT Trent Williams' stock is climbing after a strong showing at his pro-day. He improved his numbers in almost every drill.

Now what do the 49ers do? I'm starting to get worried!
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by noobie:
Originally posted by GMniner805:

I disagree, let's say we take Haden at 13 there's no guarantee he'll start over Clements & Spencer as a rookie. Meaning we most likley will get little production from a very high pick.

If we take Spiller the sky is the limit as far as production goes. Were talking rushing yds, receiving yds & big plays on special teams. That sounds a lot more apealing to me then what ever contribution Haden could make as a nickel corner.

I'm sure Haden will become a great NFL player, but I don't see him keeping any OC's up late at night right away. On the other hand Spiller will instantly terrify DC's across the league, they will have to account for him every time he's on the field. If we were still rebuilding it would be a different story, but we need to win NOW.

Shut down corners have a lot more value than a RB. Haden is better than Clements right now and will start opening day IMO. For everyone that wants spiller over any other position, what do you guys think his stat line is going to be? My problem with spiller > OT is that our offense is not the most creative and his touches are going to be limited beyond speical teams. There have been threads going around lately that show how horrible our OL is. Had problems running the bowl over the LT, LG, & RT. How does spiller fix that? The hole he needs wont be big because of his speed? How's he going to do when a LB is filling the hole. Ive come around to saying I wouldn't mind drafting Spiller, but not at the cost of drating one of the top OT.

YA, the OL stats were terrible. Could we stop for a minute and look for some reasons? Injuries, Change of offensive philosophy at half time of the houston game, shuffle players around every week.Is it possible a consistent scheme from OTA's, through training camp, preseason, and same tools via QB along with consistency with coaching the situation isn't as dier as the stats would suggest?
I heard Marvel Smith is available. What an anchor that'd be! Plus it'd save us a draft pick.

Right?????
Originally posted by mavfd9er:
I heard Marvel Smith is available. What an anchor that'd be! Plus it'd save us a draft pick.

Right?????

You're joking, right?
Originally posted by PTulini:
On "Path to the Draft" tonight (03/09/10), Mike Mayock says he DOES NOT believe that the 4 top OTs (Okung, Bulaga, Williams, and Davis) will drop out of the top 10 picks. Mayock says Oklahoma's OT Trent Williams' stock is climbing after a strong showing at his pro-day. He improved his numbers in almost every drill.

Now what do the 49ers do? I'm starting to get worried!

I tend to disagree with Mayock's assessment of Davis. I've got to believe a lesson was learned last year with Andre Smith, and since Davis obviously went to the "Andre Smith Preparational School for the Combine", his stock will fall out of the top 10.

Here is why only three maximum tackles will be taken in the top 10 picks:

None are going at numbers 1,2,3.
At four, the Skins could go Clausen or Okung. I've penciled in Okung.
At five, the Chiefs could go with the next tackle, but Berry is going to be way too attractive.
At six, the Seahawks are drafting QB, if Clausen is on the board. Especially with Wallace being traded.
At seven, the Browns are NOT drafting OT.
At eight, the Raiders have a good chance of drafting an OT.
At nine, the Bills seem to be leaning toward a tackle.
At ten, the Jags drafted two last year. Not going to happen.

In other words, the only scenario I could perceive where four tackles are taken is if the Chiefs draft an OT. And, I think Berry will be way too attractive.
Share 49ersWebzone