There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What's With Maiocco?

Now this thread isn't meant to be a thread to bash MM, because he does an exceptional job covering the team. His blog is great.

However, his draft opinions leave much to be desired, especially when it comes to addressing the needs that the 49ers need to fill.

First, he's spent many of his time supporting the movement for the 49ers to draft McClain. He's backed off that a bit recently because scouts have told him that he's not an "elite" ILB a la Willis, Beason, etc. It has never made sense anyway. I don't see the need to draft another ILB when we have Willis and Spikes in the middle, and just drafted McKillop last year.

But now, he has seemed to be quietly supporting the idea of drafting a 34 DE, such as Odrick from Bust U. Why again? We have perhaps the best 34 DE in football in Smith, a solid starter in Sopoaga, and a good situational pass rusher in MacDonald. Not to mention we just used a first round pick in '07 on Balmer, another 34 DE.

It just seems to me that those positions are the last places where the 49ers should go. Not only are they not immediate needs, but those guys probably would not contribute right away. A RT like Williams or Bulaga would be starters from Day One. Spiller would be used in many situations. A cornerback or safety would see a lot of action either as a starter or in nickle and dime situations.

Thoughts?

/semi rant.

[ Edited by Schulzy on Feb 17, 2010 at 15:29:52 ]
MM is not a very good draft prognosticator.

He may secretly work for the 49ers and the team is using him for deception purposes.
maybe he's on the sauce?
I actually dont see anything wrong with possibly drafting McClain at 13 or 16/17.

As for Odrick, he is rising up the boards, and could be a top 15 pick by april 22nd.
Solid doesn't mean he can't be replaced
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Spikes doesn't have many years left so I don't think McClain would be a bad pick. He is a beast inside and would be a perfect fit with Willis. Where Willis has speed, McClain has size. Do I think he is the best pick? No, but I don't think it would be a terrible one either. TED may not be a need now, but it could be next year. Drafting just to fill needs is a bad idea as next year new needs will pop up that could be taken care of now.

As for a 3-4 DE, I agree with you that it wouldn't be a good pick but Maiocco was just telling his followers what a respected scout said on the topic.
Matt's gotta fill his column/blog with something during the off-season.
Opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one.

[ Edited by BigDaddy on Feb 17, 2010 at 17:32:11 ]
Odrick is a f**king beast. I honestly think he'd replace Soap from day 1. Soap isn't spectacular or anything, and Odrick is the perfect size for 3-4 DE and he does a good job against the run but he can also get in the backfield pretty well. He's damn good. I would love to see him on this team. LOVE.

As for McClain, he's going to be a good one, but we don't need him. But if we took an OT or whatever, and then took Odrick, I'd like that draft a lot.
Maiocco is speculating what the 49ers will do just like the rest of us.

For example, he's saying that we may be looking at drafting a DE on the basis that we held Tyson Jackson is such high regard last year.

He's saying that we may draft McClain because we almost drafted Maualuga in the 2nd round last year.

He's using this information as the basis of his prediction as to what player the 49ers may be eyeing.

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Feb 17, 2010 at 18:11:07 ]
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Solid doesn't mean he can't be replaced

Maybe he's just screwing with everybody.
I like all of the various views he is giving us including contact with various draft people. I liked the reviews of Odrick and Williams. More to think about.
I disagree our DL is what it needs to be...not to get to the next level. Sopoaga eats up space...that's about it. An effective 3-4 DE needs to do a lot more than that...so MM and others are saying Odrick would be a very good addition...especially when you consider that Balmer hasn't done much, and Evans & the rest of the b/u's haven't really distinguished themselves. I agree, he was off the mark w/McClain, a very good player, but not a guy Singletary/Mac should really be targeting in the 1st round. One thing to remember...all mock drafts are merely educated guesses. I've done them...and they're not easy. Things change all the time...now they have the combine...things will change again, depending on how good or bad certain players work out. Then there'll be a number of pro days for many, who don't really want to play all their cards at the combine, or who may still be recovering from injuries, etc. Just about everyone agrees one of the OT's will be one of the 1st rounders...after that,
it's BPA, and that could be someone like Spiller, Haden, Warren, Odrick, maybe even Graham. I'd cut MM a little slack...he'll adjust his mock as players rise/fall on draft boards...they're always a work in progress.
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Spikes doesn't have many years left so I don't think McClain would be a bad pick. He is a beast inside and would be a perfect fit with Willis. Where Willis has speed, McClain has size. Do I think he is the best pick? No, but I don't think it would be a terrible one either. TED may not be a need now, but it could be next year. Drafting just to fill needs is a bad idea as next year new needs will pop up that could be taken care of now.

As for a 3-4 DE, I agree with you that it wouldn't be a good pick but Maiocco was just telling his followers what a respected scout said on the topic.

I like McClain but he is not a TED. One of the issues with him is shredding blocks and you have to realize he also had Cody taking on some of those blockers.