LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Will a rookie Tackle really improve our offense?

• smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by glorydayz:

So would it not make sense to try and address the O-line issues T & G through FA while drafting guys that can develope (even in the 1st round)?

It makes sense in theory, but give me some names. Lay out a realistic plan for me.

Exactly. Amano just went off the market--he signed a 5 year extension with the Titans.

Bobbie Williams will be an UFA but I can't see the Bengals letting him go

That's about it for upgrades over our current line.
Yes because right now we have a horrible RT.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
With the way Snyder played it shouldnt be too hard to be better

and that's actually true
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Yes.

Baltimore Ravens offense in 2008 was ranked 19th overall in DVOA. They drafted a rookie tackle named Michael Oher (you may have heard of him). In 2009 their offensive DVOA was ranked 8th, an improvement of 11 places.

QB didn't change, RB didn't change. Starting wide receivers and Tight End were both the same. They did get a new center but honestly, that's not going to have that big an impact on DVOA.

I'd say drafting a rookie tackle (if he's the right one) has a signicant impact on the offense.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
With the way Snyder played it shouldnt be too hard to be better

Read that Snyder gave up 10 sacks from his ROT position, the highest amount for
a ROT in the league last year....IMO he's still a servicable Back-up but we can and must get better at this spot in our o-line
Even McCloughan is not going to go with another overpriced injured FA RT -- see Jennings, Marvel Smith, Tony Pashos. It's time to fix it with a first round pick. Will this be an improvement over Snyder and everyone else that has been getting run over, around and through the past few years -- you bet. I hope it's Bulaga but will settle for T. Williams.
That should be overpriced, injured FART.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Almost anything is better than Snyder at RT. I'd go so far as to say a 3rd-4th round tackle offers better pass protection than Snyder does...but the team has a chance to get a 1st round talent at OT so that's what will likely happen.

Remember Snyder was a 3-4th rounder, can't remember.

If I recall correctly,He was a 3rd rounder and we traded up to a few spots to get him, we gave up a 5th or something like that.
Let's hope we get a very good RT
Originally posted by excelsior:
Actually, I am in favor of getting two first round OL guys. Insert them in the lineup right away, and it will give us Alex supporters reasons to say "wait until next year when those rookie linemen mature. Then we'll be able to see what Alex can do."

A high quality tackle of any sort (FA or within top 15 reach) that can come in and play RT alone will make our line 80% better than it was last season. Adam Synder is trash, and Pashos is backup talent. -We've needed a 4-star/first round RT for almost an entire decade (and all we've been playing at that spot are bargain-basement pushovers and low-quality training camp heroes).

And you definitely want a tackle from the first round, guards are a dime a dozen (and can be obtained from even un-drafted status and be formed into decent players with the right coaching). But you can't be stingy with the tackle position, it's all chance but you gotta go for one in the first round.

When the Patriots/Colts/Chargers revamp their line every 3-4 years they always draft their starting linemen (exclusively) from the first round.
Acquire a OT and guard via free agency? Who? You realize good young OL are rarely ever available in free agency right?

If we dont draft OL this year, then when?
Staley did.
In a word...yes. One of the reasons Singletary hired Mike Solari to be his OL coach was because he's got the ability to coach-up rookies to start their first season. He also has a unique eye for talent...usually going with OL who're a little lighter, but very mobile and agile. He gets that from Bob McKittrick, one of the all-time great OL coaches, whom he coached under. Let's face it, neither Snyder nor Baas were the answer at RT and LG...but with either Bulaga or Trent Williams at RT and Mike Johnson at LG, it gives our OL a whole new look. Solari will implement a good deal of zone blocking...which is why he wants guys who're light on their feet. With that, Raye will be able to incorporate sweeps, screens, etc. into the offense. He really didn't have the OL to do that last season.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
In a word...yes. One of the reasons Singletary hired Mike Solari to be his OL coach was because he's got the ability to coach-up rookies to start their first season. He also has a unique eye for talent...usually going with OL who're a little lighter, but very mobile and agile. He gets that from Bob McKittrick, one of the all-time great OL coaches, whom he coached under. Let's face it, neither Snyder nor Baas were the answer at RT and LG...but with either Bulaga or Trent Williams at RT and Mike Johnson at LG, it gives our OL a whole new look. Solari will implement a good deal of zone blocking...which is why he wants guys who're light on their feet. With that, Raye will be able to incorporate sweeps, screens, etc. into the offense. He really didn't have the OL to do that last season.

Trent Williams isn't light on his feet. Charles Brown is a better pass blocker and is a better fit for a zone blocking scheme than Trent Williams.
Share 49ersWebzone