LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 242 users in the forums

Will a rookie Tackle really improve our offense?

So let's say we get a rookie RT, and a rookie G for that matter.

What would the learning curve look like, and what impact would they really bring to the team? Staley is still in the o-linemen learning curve and he is a few years in.

So would it not make sense to try and address the O-line issues T & G through FA while drafting guys that can develope (even in the 1st round)?

So let's say we go T & G with our two number 1st rounders, where is the offense on day 1?

Your thoughts?
championship
  • krizay
  • Veteran
It may start off inconsistent. May remain inconsistent for that matter. But if that RT/OG is half as good as we make them out to be. It will be a better o-line. Thus better offense.

By the end of the year though they may/should be gelling enough to go as far as Alex can carry us. Unfortunately that distance will likely be the same with or with out an o-line. But that's just my opinion.
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
We can hope a rookie tackle can pull a Ryan Clady and as long as Snyder isn't starting.
1) There are plenty of examples of rookie OTs and even Guards that can come in right away and play well.

2) I highly doubt that there will be any high quality OTs (or guards for that matter) available in FA because of the lack of a new CBA. It's not even worth talking about trades, teams don't give up good young OTs very often, and when they do, they don't come cheap.

A rookie tackle CAN help improve our offense. The difference between can and will, however, is quite large, and we obviously won't know until we see it in regular season games.

[ Edited by PA9erFaithful on Feb 17, 2010 at 12:07:06 ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
With the way Snyder played it shouldnt be too hard to be better
Originally posted by krizay:
It may start off inconsistent. May remain inconsistent for that matter. But if that RT/OG is half as good as we make them out to be. It will be a better o-line. Thus better offense.

By the end of the year though they may/should be gelling enough to go as far as Alex can carry us. Unfortunately that distance will likely be the same with or with out an o-line. But that's just my opinion.

to go as far as Alex can carry us....dont that just make ya chuckle a little bit

[ Edited by Allx9er on Feb 17, 2010 at 11:52:40 ]
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Allx9er:

to go as far as Alex can carry us....dont that just make ya chuckle a little bit

If we had given Alex a better O-Line this year for both the passing and running game then we probably would have ended up with a better record.
Actually, I am in favor of getting two first round OL guys. Insert them in the lineup right away, and it will give us Alex supporters reasons to say "wait until next year when those rookie linemen mature. Then we'll be able to see what Alex can do."
Originally posted by TJA85:
Originally posted by Allx9er:

If we had given Alex a better O-Line this year for both the passing and running game then we probably would have ended up with a better record.

Maybe, but if Staley is considered good than we will not be any better with a 2 year project on our hands. Many people say Staley is good because he is starting however he has contributed to the same piss poor o-line play that we have had for the past few years as well. So any rookie (because of the learning curve) will start out hurting us more so than helping us if we don't aquire a T and G in FA that can step in and provide stability.

This is no reason to not draft a O-linemen or two, however doing so may not make us better overnight.

[ Edited by glorydayz on Feb 17, 2010 at 12:03:04 ]

Almost anything is better than Snyder at RT. I'd go so far as to say a 3rd-4th round tackle offers better pass protection than Snyder does...but the team has a chance to get a 1st round talent at OT so that's what will likely happen.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Almost anything is better than Snyder at RT. I'd go so far as to say a 3rd-4th round tackle offers better pass protection than Snyder does...but the team has a chance to get a 1st round talent at OT so that's what will likely happen.

Remember Snyder was a 3-4th rounder, can't remember.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Remember Snyder was a 3-4th rounder, can't remember.

I believe we was a third rounder along with Frank.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
1) There are plenty of examples of rookie OTs and even Guards that can come in right away and play well.

2) I highly doubt that there will be any high quality OTs (or guards for that matter) available in FA because of the lack of a new CBA. It's not even worth talking about trades, teams don't give up good young OTs very often, and when they do, they don't come cheap.

A rookie tackle CAN help improve our offense. The difference between can and will, however, is quite large, and we obviously won't know until we see it in regular season games.
Originally posted by glorydayz:

So would it not make sense to try and address the O-line issues T & G through FA while drafting guys that can develope (even in the 1st round)?

It makes sense in theory, but give me some names. Lay out a realistic plan for me.
Share 49ersWebzone