LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

Will a rookie Tackle really improve our offense?

Yes
Tell Solari Trent Williams isn't light on his feet...his name seems to be floating toward the top of their OT draft board. The guy I'd prefer is Bulaga...who's got the nice blend of size and agility. He was one of the most solid OT's I saw play in college last year. My point was Solari's not into maulers as OL...Williams isn't really a mauler, in the mode of Snyder, Baas, et al.
Originally posted by smileyman:
Yes.

Baltimore Ravens offense in 2008 was ranked 19th overall in DVOA. They drafted a rookie tackle named Michael Oher (you may have heard of him). In 2009 their offensive DVOA was ranked 8th, an improvement of 11 places.

QB didn't change, RB didn't change. Starting wide receivers and Tight End were both the same. They did get a new center but honestly, that's not going to have that big an impact on DVOA.

I'd say drafting a rookie tackle (if he's the right one) has a signicant impact on the offense.

Not saying you're wrong here but Flacco was a rookie, and so was their biggest and only playmaker. You have to enter their development into the equation as well. Rice was the 3rd option in 08 and he bloomed into a Pro Bowl feature back as a runner and a receiver out of the backfield this past season. Sure Oher did help, but the increased PT and expierence also goes into the equation.

Fixing the line will help us get from 19 to 13, but the reality of the NFL is it's all on the QB. Until we replace Alex a great ball control offense like Baltimore is the best we can do. Unfortunately you have to match them on defense too if you want to win like that.

I'm not really down with emulating Baltimore either. Yeah they got that Super Bowl but considering how dominant that defense was there's alot of mediocre seasons in that stretch.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 18, 2010 at 06:28:17 ]
yes only b/c it would be an upgrade over a starter like pashos or backup Synder.......less sacks, less fumbles, less pressures = better offense = more wins
I kinda agree with what Maylock said last night, in that there's a good chance
that all four of the top ranked OT's could be gone by the 10th overall pick
in the first round...I think he said, [ for what's it's worth]
Okung to KC at # 4
Davis to Seattle at # 6
Bulaga to Oakland at #8
Williams to Buff at # 9

Who to where, isn't as important as the point that these guy's get picked early and often, so imo it shows that least a lot of teams think it's very important to take a highly ranked OT early in the draft. In 2008 6 Ot's were 1st rounders.
It worked just fine for the Browns with Joe Thomas, the Dolphins with Jake Long, and the Broncos with Ryan Clady. Of course it can. With Solari hired as our offensive line coach, it should not be an issue.
Originally posted by highway49:
I kinda agree with what Maylock said last night, in that there's a good chance
that all four of the top ranked OT's could be gone by the 10th overall pick
in the first round...I think he said, [ for what's it's worth]
Okung to KC at # 4
Davis to Seattle at # 6
Bulaga to Oakland at #8
Williams to Buff at # 9

Who to where, isn't as important as the point that these guy's get picked early and often, so imo it shows that least a lot of teams think it's very important to take a highly ranked OT early in the draft. In 2008 6 Ot's were 1st rounders.

I am hoping that Bruce Campbell knocks them off their feet with his skills at his size, very similar to Iupati where measurables will make him jump off the page. I can see Campbell being chosen by Oakland if he goes off at the Combine which might push Williams to us.

If those four go by #10, then I say get a Pro-Bowler-type non-the-less for our OL, Mike Iupati. Just like I had in my second mock, Spiller and Iupati would be awesome. Then we can land either Saffold, Veldheer or Calloway who are all very good RT from what I have read. I really liked Calloway in the Bowl game, he looked very consistent at the right side.

Can a second or third round tackle and a first round guard start? Hell yea! Just give them to Solari and watch the magic appear before your very eyes.

By the way draftniks, how do Saffold, Veldheer and Calloway project as RT and where?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
It worked just fine for the Browns with Joe Thomas, the Dolphins with Jake Long, and the Broncos with Ryan Clady. Of course it can. With Solari hired as our offensive line coach, it should not be an issue.

Dolphins, Browns, & Broncos?

Yeah okay, it worked out just fine for them!

They are all winners now!
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Tell Solari Trent Williams isn't light on his feet...his name seems to be floating toward the top of their OT draft board. The guy I'd prefer is Bulaga...who's got the nice blend of size and agility. He was one of the most solid OT's I saw play in college last year. My point was Solari's not into maulers as OL...Williams isn't really a mauler, in the mode of Snyder, Baas, et al.

Toward the top of what OT draft board? Are you inside our GM's head?
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Dolphins, Browns, & Broncos?

Yeah okay, it worked out just fine for them!

They are all winners now!

They are struggling now but they had an impact when they were drafted an put their teams in playoff contention:

Joe Thomas was drafted in 2007 and the Browns improved from 4-12 in 2006 to 10-6 in 2007.

Jake Long was drafted in 2008 and the Dolphins went from 1-15 in 2007 to 11-5 and the playoffs.

All three guys are Pro Bowlers now. Would you rather stick with Snyder (10 plus sacks allowed) and Pashos coming off of injury or take a chance on getting a bookend to Staley? Stop being such a pessimist.......................

I just want a RT to lockdown the otherside so our offense can begin to flourish this year.
Share 49ersWebzone