There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Mel Kiper's Mock Draft 2.0

I have strong doubts about Coffee which is why I was on the Spiller bandwagon before but now I don't know. I don't think I'd be really excited about the pick, I'll have to read more scouting reports on him.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Youngone:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I think some zoners are just in love with gore. I like him too but we can't stop there. Gore wasn't productive enough to clearly say we don't need an offensive playmaker. Gore is great but how many successful teams have just one runningback doing the work? I know Chris Johnson but he is fresh legs and game breaking speed like we need. Adrian Peterson even has a spell back. It's ok to compliment one of our best players with a speed back. Plus kick return alone is worth the draft pick

Not to mention that Gore isn't bullet proof and does get injured.

Some people would like to think he is. Just cause the guy set a few 49er records. Some zoners take the thought o drafting a change of pace back as disloyalty but it's not. Gore is a starter but not perfect. Let's not kid ourselves.

Nobody thinks he is bullet-proof. If you read what people say, mainly they think we have higher priorities. Like getting starters. Like we need a starting right tackle more than we need someone to give Frank a breather. And we haven't really found out if Coffee can play behind a half decent line. Pass rush. Safety.

Yes, we need to have an eye out for Frank's replacement IDC. But priorities

Spiller's return ability would also help give Gore a breather if he takes one to the house, which is bound to happen. In a few years, Gore is going to be gone and by that time Spiller could take over and be the featured back. He is the closest thing to Chris Johnson in this draft IMO.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Kiper is a joke. We don't need a RB in the first round.

spiller is more than just a rb, and if you think gore has plenty of yrs left at the age of 27 your kidding yourself. do you really want to make coffee the starter if gore is out? adding spiller will keep gore fresh and extend his career

Speed RB's like Jahvid Best and Dexter McCluster will available in the later rounds. But it's obvious people want the sexy(Spiller) pick which we don't need with a top 15 pick.

Best wont be there in the 2nd.

He has durability concerns, I think he will.

spiller is more than just a rb, and if you think gore has plenty of yrs left at the age of 27 your kidding yourself. do you really want to make coffee the starter if gore is out? adding spiller will keep gore fresh and extend his career

Speed RB's like Jahvid Best and Dexter McCluster will available in the later rounds. But it's obvious people want the sexy(Spiller) pick which we don't need with a top 15 pick.

Michael Crabtree was the "sexy" pick. It's not that the masses are blind. Sometimes your needs are obvious, and it's clear that we need another gamebreaker on our 27th ranked offense.

Spiller and an OT in the 1st. The rest of the draft can be used to address other positions (DB).

All that being said, if Joe Haden is available, I wouldn't mind taking him + a OT and addressing RB/KR with our next pick.
A. IF haden is there we take him.
B. IF only one of the top tackles are left on the board, we take them.
...but IF haden is already gone and both bulaga and williams are still on board,
we gotta take spiller.

the great thing about spiller is that HE IS THE "SEXY" PICK,
but he also fills 3 major needs:
1. KR - they dont want morgan, a starting WR to do it
2. PR - if i gotta explain log off these boards and never come back.
3. change of pace/backup RB - how do you like our chances to make the playoffs if,
heaven forbid, gore sustains a serious injury week2 and is out for 8wks or more?
WE NEED THE PLAYOFFS!!! so we NEED insurance in case that were to happen.

IF it goes down like i just described, you MUST take spiller.
that's one of those instances when planet-BPA, planet-NEED and planet-SEXY
would all be perfectly alligned...
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:
...but IF haden is already gone and both bulaga and williams are still on board,
we gotta take spiller.

3. change of pace/backup RB - how do you like our chances to make the playoffs if,
heaven forbid, gore sustains a serious injury week2 and is out for 8wks or more?

Nice post & I agree.
Im not a huge Haden fan at all, I don't know why. But in reality all i want is an OT with one of the 1st round picks.
we gotta take spiller.

Agreed and Spiller would also be a pass catching threat out of the backfield
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Not at pick 49. I think he slips to bottom of the 1st, top of the 2nd.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
we gotta take spiller.

We don't need a CB enough to draft one in the 1st round. There will be some perfectly good CBs available in the later rounds and I have concerns about Haden's abilities.

Quote:

Yup. Spiller will be a great fit for us and I think that it's very, very likely he'll be there for us at 13. Much as I don't care for Haden I think he has a real shot at going top 10 because of the value placed on CBs. He may even go before Berry though I'm not willing to take any bets on that.
At the end of the year was everybody clamoring for a 3rd down back/PR/KR?

Big concerns in the big games were a lack of speed/talent in the secondary, and horrible O-line play. Spiller doesn't fix either of those problems. Haden is far and away the best corner in the draft. I would argue that we could get a perfectly fine change of pace back (Best, McCluster, McKnight) later on and get every-down starters with our 1st rounders. Running backs are easy to find (especially with a good O-line), corners are harder to come by.

Nate has lost a step and Spencer isn't a #1. Brown has potential but he doesn't look like a #1 either. From what I've read Haden will be. With this league moving more and more towards passing offenses, we need a #1.

Think realistically about how Spiller would fit on this team. 1-2 swing passes per game? Maybe 1 or 2 first downs? If he's lucky maybe a TD on special teams? Is that more valuable then stabilizing your O-line and being able to put together 8-9 minute drives consistently? Drives that lead to tired defenses which give VD, Crabs, Morgan, Gore, and Walker more opportunities to make plays. Our defense is great, as long as they aren't on the field the whole game.

At #13 if Haden is there we should take him. If not and there is 1 Tackle left, we should take the Tackle. If there's 2+ Tackles and no Haden, then we'd have to consider Spiller.
Originally posted by smileyman:
we gotta take spiller.

We don't need a CB enough to draft one in the 1st round. There will be some perfectly good CBs available in the later rounds and I have concerns about Haden's abilities.

i guess that depends on whether or not u believe nate will return in 2011 at the salary he's scheduled...
i guess that depends on whether or not you want to count on dre bly being on the roster...
i guess that depends on whether or not you factor in spencer's injury history...

i believe when scot drafts in april2010 he has not only has 2010 in mind,
but also 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

the only guys on the roster who look like they are likely to be playing CB in a niner uni in 2011
are spencer and t.brown (many here seem to be counting on t.brown to make a large step in productivity
but he has yet to show #1 or even #2 CB ability on a consistent basis)
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I think some zoners are just in love with gore. I like him too but we can't stop there. Gore wasn't productive enough to clearly say we don't need an offensive playmaker. Gore is great but how many successful teams have just one runningback doing the work? I know Chris Johnson but he is fresh legs and game breaking speed like we need. Adrian Peterson even has a spell back. It's ok to compliment one of our best players with a speed back. Plus kick return alone is worth the draft pick

Not to mention that Gore isn't bullet proof and does get injured.

Some people would like to think he is. Just cause the guy set a few 49er records. Some zoners take the thought o drafting a change of pace back as disloyalty but it's not. Gore is a starter but not perfect. Let's not kid ourselves.

Nobody thinks he is bullet-proof. If you read what people say, mainly they think we have higher priorities. Like getting starters. Like we need a starting right tackle more than we need someone to give Frank a breather. And we haven't really found out if Coffee can play behind a half decent line. Pass rush. Safety.

Yes, we need to have an eye out for Frank's replacement IDC. But priorities

Spiller's return ability would also help give Gore a breather if he takes one to the house, which is bound to happen. In a few years, Gore is going to be gone and by that time Spiller could take over and be the featured back. He is the closest thing to Chris Johnson in this draft IMO.

One point I won't accept as an argument is that he will be ready to step into Gore's shoes when he retires. Frank may be good for 3 or 4 years yet. By which time his "replacement" will probably be out of contract. With running backs, unlike some positions, there is just no need to think this far ahead.
After Russell Okung and Anthony Davis, the offensive tackles take a big dip in talent. If those two guys are gone, I would seriously consider Mike Iupati over the remaining tackles. I think he has the nastiness Singletary is looking for and with the coaching additions of Solari and Brown, he can develop into an elite right tackle. Your thoughts…

[ Edited by vermonator on Feb 21, 2010 at 11:56:07 ]
Originally posted by vermonator:
After Russell Okung and Anthony Davis, the offensive tackles take a big dip in talent. If those two guys are gone, I would seriously consider Mike Lupati over the remaining tackles. I think he has the nastiness Singletary is looking for and with the coaching additions of Solari and Brown, he can develop into an elite right tackle. Your thoughts…

I would draft him and play him at guard.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home