LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Mel Kiper's Mock Draft 2.0

Originally posted by nothing03:
I believe Spiller's stock would go up after this combine.

There's not that many teams looking for a running back in the top 12. Outside of Seattle trading up I'm not too worried.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Kiper is a joke. We don't need a RB in the first round.

spiller is more than just a rb, and if you think gore has plenty of yrs left at the age of 27 your kidding yourself. do you really want to make coffee the starter if gore is out? adding spiller will keep gore fresh and extend his career

Speed RB's like Jahvid Best and Dexter McCluster will available in the later rounds. But it's obvious people want the sexy(Spiller) pick which we don't need with a top 15 pick.

Best wont be there in the 2nd.
I think some zoners are just in love with gore. I like him too but we can't stop there. Gore wasn't productive enough to clearly say we don't need an offensive playmaker. Gore is great but how many successful teams have just one runningback doing the work? I know Chris Johnson but he is fresh legs and game breaking speed like we need. Adrian Peterson even has a spell back. It's ok to compliment one of our best players with a speed back. Plus kick return alone is worth the draft pick
Originally posted by Youngone:
I think some zoners are just in love with gore. I like him too but we can't stop there. Gore wasn't productive enough to clearly say we don't need an offensive playmaker. Gore is great but how many successful teams have just one runningback doing the work? I know Chris Johnson but he is fresh legs and game breaking speed like we need. Adrian Peterson even has a spell back. It's ok to compliment one of our best players with a speed back. Plus kick return alone is worth the draft pick

Not to mention that Gore isn't bullet proof and does get injured.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I would like an OT and a defensive player in the first, but Spiller is probably the only exception to this.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

Some people would like to think he is. Just cause the guy set a few 49er records. Some zoners take the thought o drafting a change of pace back as disloyalty but it's not. Gore is a starter but not perfect. Let's not kid ourselves.

Some people would like to think he is. Just cause the guy set a few 49er records. Some zoners take the thought o drafting a change of pace back as disloyalty but it's not. Gore is a starter but not perfect. Let's not kid ourselves.

Nobody thinks he is bullet-proof. If you read what people say, mainly they think we have higher priorities. Like getting starters. Like we need a starting right tackle more than we need someone to give Frank a breather. And we haven't really found out if Coffee can play behind a half decent line. Pass rush. Safety.

Yes, we need to have an eye out for Frank's replacement IDC. But priorities
Originally posted by English:

Nobody thinks he is bullet-proof. If you read what people say, mainly they think we have higher priorities. Like getting starters. Like we need a starting right tackle more than we need someone to give Frank a breather. And we haven't really found out if Coffee can play behind a half decent line. Pass rush. Safety.

We got the starting right tackle with our 2nd 1st round pick. As of right now we can pass on Williams at 13 because it looks like he'll be there at 17. Seattle's in the market for a LT, and the Giants and Titans aren't a threat to take him. Pending how the draft plays out we make have to take him at 13, but if we're sitting there and feel confident that Williams will be there at 17 there's no need to reach for him.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 18, 2010 at 07:23:45 ]

Priorities exactly. But think about this, Guards aren't to be taken in the first (according to our GM) and there will be a tackle for us at our 17th. What else is a bigger priority than KR/PR/Change of Pace back? Safety, maybe. Pass Rush probably not wise to risk our pick on Dline when so many picked early become busts.
I'm just saying I think that it is a priority to pick a guy who has speed and can make an immediate impact on special teams and offense. I'm not saying tackle isn't a priority but my big point is that a reason to pass on Spiller is not that we have Frank Gore to carry us. Cause lets look at the past 2 years when our cordinators have said Franks the man and we are centering our offense around him, nothing happened. No production. Time for a change, a change of pace back more like it.

Priorities exactly. But think about this, Guards aren't to be taken in the first (according to our GM) and there will be a tackle for us at our 17th. What else is a bigger priority than KR/PR/Change of Pace back? Safety, maybe. Pass Rush probably not wise to risk our pick on Dline when so many picked early become busts.
I'm just saying I think that it is a priority to pick a guy who has speed and can make an immediate impact on special teams and offense. I'm not saying tackle isn't a priority but my big point is that a reason to pass on Spiller is not that we have Frank Gore to carry us. Cause lets look at the past 2 years when our cordinators have said Franks the man and we are centering our offense around him, nothing happened. No production. Time for a change, a change of pace back more like it.

Not really arguing too much but point of order: "no production"? a thousand yards running plus around 400 through the air four years running may not warrant headlines in today's NFL but by anyones standards it is production.

Not really arguing too much but point of order: "no production"? a thousand yards running plus around 400 through the air four years running may not warrant headlines in today's NFL but by anyones standards it is production.

True, I can't say no production from Gore but little from our offense...how about that. Just cause you mash out 1,000 doesn't mean you are getting the job done when you are suppose to be a power running team. You forget though that he got the 1,000 from taking a whole lot of snaps.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
whats the chances, that IF Spiller does run in the 4.3 range, that he becomes (a top twelve pick?)and we miss himat 13?

What teams can nab him from us just before we pick?

I'll be

Look on the bright side, last year we got Crabtree because other teams took players higher than they deserved to go. McC has his flaws, but he is certainly opportunistic.

I would rather have Bulaga.
  • LilAzn9er
  • Info N/A
Even if Spiller runs well at the combine do you think teams ahead of us would take him? He will not go top 5 no matter what. The only team I see that may take him are the Browns and maybe the Raiders. If that is the case then another one or two solid prospects will fall to us. I wouldn't be too down about that. Maybe it is something we should hope for?

I agree that Jahvid Best is similar to Spiller except there are questions about his durability. My gut tells me that McCloughan won't look at McCluster because of his size.

1. Ndamukong Suh, DT - Rams
2. Gerald McCoy, DT - Lions
3. Eric Berry - Bucs
4. Jimmy Clausen, QB - Skins
5. Anthony Davis, OT - Chiefs
6. Sam Bradford, QB - Shehawks
7. Joe Haden, CB - Browns
8. Jason Pierre Paul, DE - Raiders
9. Russell Okung, OT - Bills
10. Dez Bryant, WR - Broncos
11. Derrick Morgan, DE - Jags
12. Rolando McClain, IL - Dolphins

[ Edited by LilAzn9er on Feb 18, 2010 at 09:22:02 ]
Originally posted by LilAzn9er:
Even if Spiller runs well at the combine do you think teams ahead of us would take him? He will not go top 5 no matter what. The only team I see that may take him are the Browns and maybe the Raiders. If that is the case then another one or two solid prospects will fall to us. I wouldn't be too down about that. Maybe it is something we should hope for?

I agree that Jahvid Best is similar to Spiller except there are questions about his durability. My gut tells me that McCloughan won't look at McCluster because of his size.

1. Ndamukong Suh, DT - Rams
2. Gerald McCoy, DT - Lions
3. Eric Berry - Bucs
4. Jimmy Clausen, QB - Skins
5. Anthony Davis, OT - Chiefs
6. Sam Bradford, QB - Shehawks
7. Joe Haden, CB - Browns
8. Jason Pierre Paul, DE - Raiders
9. Russell Okung, OT - Bills
10. Dez Bryant, WR - Broncos
11. Derrick Morgan, DE - Jags
12. Rolando McClain, IL - Dolphins

Nah, Raiders won't take him. They've already invested in McFadden, and have Bush and Fargas as well in the backfield, plus so many other holes to fill. Cleveland would make some sense but they too have lots of other holes to immediately fill.
Share 49ersWebzone