There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What will Scotty do?

Originally posted by susweel:
Scotty will draft a good player in the first round then completely waste the rest of the draft on crappy players.

LOL!!! I agree!!
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Scotty will draft a good player in the first round then completely waste the rest of the draft on crappy players.

Really? Gore, Goldson, Brown, Morgan, McDonald and Parys really suck then.

Average players........ Big freaking whoop di do

Scotty did not draft GORE or PARYS!!! Scotty was here but he did not draft them.
Your argument holds no merit. Colts are probably the best team in the league so many there backups are better then many of our starters.

Your argument holds no merit. He has actual numbers to back him up, what do you have? Don't say record cause he supplies the talent. He doesn't coach it. Scotty is an above average GM. He and yes Nolan supplied this team with talent. Now we need Alex to come through or move on to Davis whom IMO has all the tools to be an NFL QB.

Gore is average? You people are a joke. I'm done with this argument.
Also when you have Peyton Manning as your QB it will fix many of your draft misses. Having Alex as your starter you better be drafting near perfect if you wonna have a chance to win.

LMFAO. So if this is the case and we have better drafts statistically then that makes our past drafting look even better. This is getting retarded.

Check Please!
[ Edited by 49wyztoscore on Feb 3, 2010 at 6:33 PM ]
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Your argument holds no merit. Colts are probably the best team in the league so many there backups are better then many of our starters.

Prove it.
Originally posted by smileyman:

Prove it.

Smileyman, your argument is only a starting point. To prove it you would have to go down the line of both teams and see who was drafted and who manned the position ahead of them. For instance, who did Staley really have to complete with? Snyder?...lol Baas, our "starter", didn't even beat Smiley and he didn't really beat out Wragge until Wragge stunk it up. The fact that he is a starter on a crap line doesn't mean he was a good pick. Again, I'm not saying your flat out wrong, but it's only a starting point and doesn't really prove anything.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 3, 2010 at 8:49 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Prove it.

Smileyman, your argument is only a starting point. To prove it you would have to go down the line of both teams and see who was drafted and who manned the position ahead of them. For instance, who did Staley really have to complete with? Snyder?...lol Baas, our "starter", didn't even beat Smiley and he didn't really beat out Wragge until Wragge stunk it up. The fact that he is a starter on a crap line doesn't mean he was a good pick. Again, I'm not saying your flat out wrong, but it's only a starting point and doesn't really prove anything.

Yeah but Manning can mask bad play. We don't have any one that can do that. That argument is a wash. What you want to look at is if our talent is getting better and it's very hard to say it hasn't.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Prove it.

All right let's do that then.

Kevin Hayden replaced Jacob Lacey who had 85 tackles, 13 PD, 3 INTs this year. The only reason Hayden got moved into the starting role was because Lacey was hurt. Hayden recorded 50 tackles, 5 PD, and 1 INT this year in 9 games.

Joseph Addai replaced Dominic Rhodes at RB. Rhodes was not a good RB. His biggest rushing season was 641 yards.

Antoine Bethea replaced Bob Sanders who's very good when he's healthy

Charlie Johnson replaced Tarik Glenn who was old and retired after Johnson came into the league. He was a solid LT, but not special. He only made it to one Pro-Bowl in 10 years.

Jerraud Powers replaced Tim Jennings who was nothing special. (66 tackles in 2008, 10 PD, 2 INTs)

Clint Session replaced Cato June who left for Tampa Bay via free agency. There was no competition for his starting spot.

So Hayden replaced a very good DB, Addai replaced a poor RB, Bethea replaced a good (but often injured) safety, Powers replaced an average DB, Sessions filled an empty roster spot.

Now for the Niners

Alex Smith replaced Shaun Hill who replaced JT O'Sullivan. An average QB replaced a poor QB.

Baas replaced Eric Heitmann who's a pretty good lineman.

Frank Gore replaced Kevan Barlow who was average

Snyder replaced Scott Gragg who was at the tail end of his career

Davis replaced Bajema who wasn't all that good.

Lawson replaced Peterson who left via free agency

Haralson replaced Ulbrich who was a very solid LB

Robinson is a starter on special teams

Willis replaced Derek Smith who was a very good LB

Staley replaced Kwame Harris who was very, very bad.

Dashon Goldson replaced our safety by committee approach

Josh Morgan replaced Isaac Bruce who had a pretty good year in 2008

Rachal replaced Smiley who left via free agency

Crabtree took over a WR spot that was done by rotation.

So there's some truth that the Niners have had worse players replaced, but every single one of the starters have been upgrades over their previous players. In 2005 the 49ers were 4-12. We were 8-8 this year and missed the playoffs by a hair (really three or four plays difference and we would be NFC West champions). To say that McC is a poor drafter is just not true.

If you want to say that he doesn't do well in free agency then I'd be behind that idea.

Obviously Gore is not average but the rest of those dudes are. Also just because your a starter on a bad team dont mean the player is good.
Bucky Brooks' take after my question...

ROT, S and DL are his takes on our needs for the first round:

ROTs: Davis, Bulaga, Williams, or Iupati (Still think he can start at RT with Solar/Brown)
S: E. Thomas
DL: JPP, D. Morgan, D. Williams, B. Graham

Nice list!

Notice, no Spiller...

PS Here are the blurbs that I thought were cool:

#
NinerTico, Sacramento, CA
1:31 PM ET
Hi Mr. Brooks, I wanted your take on the 49ers draft possibilities as we have two picks and primed to take over the NFC West especially after Warner's retirement. Two OLs, ROT and S, or ROT and BPA. Thanks!
Bucky Brooks, NFL.com
Bucky Brooks, NFL.com
I think you're right on point with your observation. I expect the 49ers to look at right tackle, safety or a defensive linement with those two first round picks. Their needs there are pretty obvious.

#
Taylor McDonald, Ontario, Canada
1:32 PM ET
Who will rise up next season and go to the SuperBowl?
Bucky Brooks, NFL.com
Bucky Brooks, NFL.com
Hi Taylor. I'll tell you what, teams to watch next season are the 49ers, Falcons, Titans and Texans.

at next season!
[ Edited by ninertico on Feb 4, 2010 at 10:58 AM ]
I think you have all missed on this one. What will Scotty do? He'll beam Capt Kirk and the rest of the squad to another planet.

Prove it.

All right let's do that then.

Kevin Hayden replaced Jacob Lacey who had 85 tackles, 13 PD, 3 INTs this year. The only reason Hayden got moved into the starting role was because Lacey was hurt. Hayden recorded 50 tackles, 5 PD, and 1 INT this year in 9 games.

Joseph Addai replaced Dominic Rhodes at RB. Rhodes was not a good RB. His biggest rushing season was 641 yards.

Antoine Bethea replaced Bob Sanders who's very good when he's healthy

Charlie Johnson replaced Tarik Glenn who was old and retired after Johnson came into the league. He was a solid LT, but not special. He only made it to one Pro-Bowl in 10 years.

Jerraud Powers replaced Tim Jennings who was nothing special. (66 tackles in 2008, 10 PD, 2 INTs)

Clint Session replaced Cato June who left for Tampa Bay via free agency. There was no competition for his starting spot.

So Hayden replaced a very good DB, Addai replaced a poor RB, Bethea replaced a good (but often injured) safety, Powers replaced an average DB, Sessions filled an empty roster spot.

Now for the Niners

Alex Smith replaced Shaun Hill who replaced JT O'Sullivan. An average QB replaced a poor QB.

Baas replaced Eric Heitmann who's a pretty good lineman.

Frank Gore replaced Kevan Barlow who was average

Snyder replaced Scott Gragg who was at the tail end of his career

Davis replaced Bajema who wasn't all that good.

Lawson replaced Peterson who left via free agency

Haralson replaced Ulbrich who was a very solid LB

Robinson is a starter on special teams

Willis replaced Derek Smith who was a very good LB

Staley replaced Kwame Harris who was very, very bad.

Dashon Goldson replaced our safety by committee approach

Josh Morgan replaced Isaac Bruce who had a pretty good year in 2008

Rachal replaced Smiley who left via free agency

Crabtree took over a WR spot that was done by rotation.

So there's some truth that the Niners have had worse players replaced, but every single one of the starters have been upgrades over their previous players. In 2005 the 49ers were 4-12. We were 8-8 this year and missed the playoffs by a hair (really three or four plays difference and we would be NFC West champions). To say that McC is a poor drafter is just not true.

If you want to say that he doesn't do well in free agency then I'd be behind that idea.

1. You are my hero! I dont know where you find the time to research this stuff but it's appreciated.

2. I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with you just making a point about your argument

3. You dont need to include obvious star players (i.e. Gore and Addai) as everyone agrees its a good pick. The only people that need to make your list are guys that are back ups (and an explanation as to the quality of player ahead of them). Or, guys that are starters, but are not house hold names and obvious stars (i.e. Baas, Bathea). At that point you have to look at performance with the given opportunity.

P.S. Where did you get that Baas replaced Heitman?

Obviously Gore is not average but the rest of those dudes are. Also just because your a starter on a bad team dont mean the player is good.

Dashon Goldson is a man above boys
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home