• Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by krizay:
Scotty will draft a good player in the first round then completely waste the rest of the draft on crappy players.

truer words have never been spoken!

Frank Gore?

Everyone gets lucky once in a while. Just look at how many times he has missed.

Nate Davis
Josh Morgan

Just to name a very short few off the top of my head. I'm sure I could name more if I wanted to look at every draft in depth.

Yah those guys are perennial pro bowlers.

People seem readily conviced that Nate Davis = the next Peyton Manning on this board. Look at all the threads and all the love he gets. You can't convince them otherwise.

Josh Morgan is a starter.

I have a feeling that Nate Davis is going to be the next Cody Pickett.
Even Scotty will finally have to learn by experience -- after wasting all the money on FA OT's to no purpose (JJ, Marvel, Pashos), and needing to stop the bleeding at RT, he will take Williams or Bulaga at 13. He will be forced to do it by Sing and Solari.

Then, he will be inclined to trade down from 17 but will find it's not really worthwhile, so he will go to his comfort zone and pick a LB (even though he will think it's a little "early"). This pick will also be a great special teams player like MRob or McKillop.

With an OT and LB after two picks, he goes DB (no more OL here, no RB or QB or WR or TE). No way is he going to spend a first or second on an OG, particularly since he can move Snyder back to guard because he will have Pashos and the rookie [and maybe Boone as well] at RT. Cody Wallace, another mystifying draft pick, may be slated to get some time at guard, or at center with Heitmann playing some at OG. Or we pick up a FA OG.

The third round pick is a project -- some college qb who he projects to another skill position. Or, he picks a returner and leaves the project for one more round.

4 and 5 are a db and an ol, then 6 and 7 are a dl and te.

So, we will get our OT, bulk up our LB corps, get a maybe returner and a bunch of backups. Don't hold your breath for an impact player.
Scotty will draft a good player in the first round then completely waste the rest of the draft on crappy players.

Frank Gore?

Nate Davis
Josh Morgan

Just to name a very short few off the top of my head. I'm sure I could name more if I wanted to look at every draft in depth.

Yah those guys are perennial pro bowlers.

People seem readily conviced that Nate Davis = the next Peyton Manning on this board. Look at all the threads and all the love he gets. You can't convince them otherwise.

Josh Morgan is a starter.

I have a feeling that Nate Davis is going to be the next Cody Pickett.

But if you read the WZ Nate Davis is the next Joe Montana only with a much stronger arm. 4 Super Bowls at least. People are 150% convinced. It's for sure. How can you go wrong with Nate Davis?

Originally posted by Leathaface:
Kinda shocking to see we've only drafted one OT.

Agree, I was very shocked!
Originally posted by tohara3:

That is embarrassing.

dashon goldson
delanie walker
parys haralson
marcus hudson makes a solid contribution for a 6th round guy
tarrell brown

some of you guys can be such whiny little b!@tches sometimes...
Originally posted by rapid4:
Even Scotty will finally have to learn by experience -- after wasting all the money on FA OT's to no purpose (JJ, Marvel, Pashos), and needing to stop the bleeding at RT, he will take Williams or Bulaga at 13. He will be forced to do it by Sing and Solari.

Then, he will be inclined to trade down from 17 but will find it's not really worthwhile, so he will go to his comfort zone and pick a LB (even though he will think it's a little "early"). This pick will also be a great special teams player like MRob or McKillop.

With an OT and LB after two picks, he goes DB (no more OL here, no RB or QB or WR or TE). No way is he going to spend a first or second on an OG, particularly since he can move Snyder back to guard because he will have Pashos and the rookie [and maybe Boone as well] at RT. Cody Wallace, another mystifying draft pick, may be slated to get some time at guard, or at center with Heitmann playing some at OG. Or we pick up a FA OG.

The third round pick is a project -- some college qb who he projects to another skill position. Or, he picks a returner and leaves the project for one more round.

4 and 5 are a db and an ol, then 6 and 7 are a dl and te.

So, we will get our OT, bulk up our LB corps, get a maybe returner and a bunch of backups. Don't hold your breath for an impact player.

Me thinks that you are scary-close to being inside Scotty's head!
What he WONT do is draft Brandon Graham or any other DE of that size.

Scot has proved he's got a little thing for flare players. He's almost got a little Al Davis in him.

-Manny Lawson: Rangy, incredibly fast, workout warrior

-Vernon Davis: Freak o Nature

-Crabtree: Hype hype hype (yes it will all come to fruition)

-Alex Smith: Spread offense, mobile, incredibly smart, big time arm

I say scot does it again. He's got 2 picks. He knows he's gotta be safe and draft an OT, say Bulaga.

But the second pick, he starts to feel a little loosey goosey. Whats he do? Idk. Reach for best? Taylor Mays? Kyle Wilson? Earl Thomas? Heck he might even trade it for a 1st rounder next year!
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by tohara3:

That is embarrassing.

Yes, drafting only one OT in 5 years is more than embarrassing, it's incompetent!

Even worse, McC has drafted zero ‘speed’ guys at WR, RB, CB or S in 5 years! McC loves ‘big’ guys, but not fast guys. Yet in the NFL on-field SPEED is most important. (He’s picked fast TE’s, and J. Hill has good straight-line speed, but not breakaway on-the-field speed).

Look how VD’s speed opens up the field. Now add in a fast WR and/or a change-of-pace scat-back, and the defense would be on their heels. Plus the D also needs speed to combat fast the WR’s that have torched them. The 'need for speed' in the NFL is common knowledge. It amazes me that McC is just now figuring this out.
  • Ether
  • Veteran

Frank Gore?

Nate Davis
Josh Morgan

Dashon Goldson, Tarell Brown, Parys Haralson, Ray McDonald are all starters. Michael Robinson and Scott McKillop are key Special Teams players.

Originally posted by 9erHIGH:

dashon goldson
delanie walker
parys haralson
tarrell brown

McC has had about 6 'hits' out of 35 2nd-7th rd picks. That's less than 1 out of five. That's not very good. (Hudson is average at best).

Some of you guys have your noses so far up Scotty's ass that you can barely breath.
i dunno what he's gonna do. we need a tackle and then its up in the air. DB? ILB? KR/RB/WR? DL? 1st round has to be atleast 1 O-lineman for sure. i just hope he doesnt waste a pick on another position change project. thats a waste of a draft pick IMO, if you need a RB, draft a RB, if you need a WR, draft a WR. why waste time on a player you have to convert instead of drafting a player who has experience in that position?
Taking the BPA is all well and good but when you have needs, you have to be aggressive and go after those players by trading up or down to get them, that’s where Walsh excelled and Scot falls short. I’d like to see him do better than just sit there and hope for the best player to fall in his lap. Anybody can do that, anybody!!!
Originally posted by maxsmart:

dashon goldson
delanie walker
parys haralson
tarrell brown

McC has had about 6 'hits' out of 35 2nd-7th rd picks. That's less than 1 out of five. That's not very good. (Hudson is average at best).

Some of you guys have your noses so far up Scotty's ass that you can barely breath.

1/5 is pretty good for post-first round picks. What basis do you have for saying its bad? The success rate is incredibly low in the NFL, especially after the first round.
Originally posted by maxsmart:

dashon goldson
delanie walker
parys haralson
tarrell brown

In the first round, on average, McC has drafted a pro-bowler every other year and a solid starter every other year. That is very good. Both Pitt and Indy catapulted themselves to SB victories by having similar five year stretches (granted both had much superior talent to start with).
Share 49ersWebzone