There are 51 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Panther trade might be a bust

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by danimal:
Well I think we would have to have some information that any of those guys were on the Niners board. If not, the point is lost because the Niners may have pulled the trigger on the trade specificially because none of those guys impressed them.

No doubt! In fact, you can argue that none of those guys where on the Niners board as we desperately needed and OT and they decided to trade the pick. Last year everyone said it was a "weak draft". Remember how many times the Pats traded back?

Hindsight is 20/20, but having the 17th pick in a deep draft is money.

Exactly . . . and a single second round pick last year would not have put us over the top. Also if the conditions are right when we're on the clock the 17th pick could be used to move down for an extra 2nd rounder . . . like you said in a pretty deep draft.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49erWill:
I would make that trade every year

(trade our 2nd for someone else's 1st)

Absolutely. It's a no brainer, especially since we didn't lose a 1st that year.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
This thread is .
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
So wait, we traded a the 43rd and 111th overall picks last year for the 16th/17th this year and it's going to be a bust?

17th pick value: 1135

43rd and 111th picks value: 778

I'd think we pretty much got the upper hand in the deal.

They drafted Everett Brown and Mike Goodson, who have both done absolutely nothing respectively. I'd rather draft a first round tackle this year and have flexibility with the other pick than draft a second round tackle last year.

Just a FYI, the value chart is for present year picks, the numbers get divided by 50% for a future years pick, so the niners should have only given up a pick worth 570 points. Scotty did not want to throw in the fourth rounder, but ended up doing it because Carolina would not do it for the second alone.
Originally posted by 49erWill:
I would make that trade every year

(trade our 2nd for someone else's 1st)

It was a top 1/3 second for an unknown 1st, AND a fourth rounder, for a moderator you should know what was given up.

How many webzoners said their is no way the niners will be picking below Carolinas pick, and they all where wrong.
stupid thread 1st round pick is always better than 2nd round pick dofus. panthers showed no patience by making that trade. this is a 9er win all the way
Originally posted by matt49er:
stupid thread 1st round pick is always better than 2nd round pick dofus. panthers showed no patience by making that trade. this is a 9er win all the way

Sigh, if you have a team with depth and do not need starters, then yes it would make sense, but a team that had several holes, and NEEDED starters, giving up a second AND a fourth was a lot. As mentioned before the points value are worth HALF in a future year, so trade scale is out of whack also.

If you do not understand that Phil Loadholt and Duke Robinson being on the roster last year would have helped the niners, then you obviously did not watch the same games I watched.

And again, how many webzoners, I think at least 80% swore we would get a top 10 pick and thought there would be NO WAY that the niners pick would be before the Carolina pick.
#16/#17 > picking 40 something in the second round any year.

Originally posted by 9erred:
When the trade was made, we all where hoping for a top 10 pick. Picking at 17 the Niners might get someone who will be no better than who the niners could have had in round 2 last year.

The following players could have been had in round 2, and they might have been the differance to winning a few more games.

[+]
13 (45) Giants (From Saints) Sintim, Clint OLB 6'3" 256 Virginia
Pick Analysis: null

[+]
17 (49) Seahawks (From Bears) Unger, Max OT 6'5" 309 Oregon
[+]

[
22 (54) Vikings Loadholt, Phil OL 6'8" 332 Oklahoma
[+]

26 (58) Patriots Vollmer, Sebastian OL 6'7" 312 Houston
[+]

[+]
28 (60) Giants Beatty, William OT 6'6" 307 Connecticut
[+]

No way were we hoping for a top 10 pick when the trade was made. The clear expectation then was for a pick in the 20's. We only move to higher expectations as it became clear they would struggle.

And anyway, I would make that trade every year
The panther's trade could be a bust....but it is more likely that it will be a boom. There's no guarantee that any of the guys you listed would have been picked by us (plus I question you some of your selections but that's a different topic).

What I do know is that statistically 1st rounders turn out to be at least good players if not stars at a much higher percentage than 2nd and 4th rounders do.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
This thread is .
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think the talent at 16/17 this year is much deeper than the talent at where ever we were picking in the 2nd round last draft. The way it's turning out, it doesn't matter that it wasn't a top 10 pick, because we will end up getting our players anyways from where we're picking.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Jan 23, 2010 at 06:50:41 ]
Originally posted by danimal:
I am telling ya, the only way to judge a trade is by getting the coaches and or GM to tell us who they would have drafted if the trade fell through.

So unless, we know who the Niners would have drafted we can't make any real comparison.

Who was available and who the Panthers picked is not a factor.

BTW, it is not uncommon to for coaches to tell interviewers later on who they were really loooking at with a pick barring the trade taking place

I think I recall reading that the staff was looking to draft Max Unger/Oregon G/C in the second round[ pick #43] had they not gotten the deal with the black cats...
They didn't think the value was there for any player they were interested at #43 and said yes when the panthers came calling. IMO it was having to pay that 4th rounder that hurt....But we are looking Good this year !

[ Edited by highway49 on Jan 23, 2010 at 09:27:48 ]
Originally posted by 9erred:
When the trade was made, we all where hoping for a top 10 pick. Picking at 17 the Niners might get someone who will be no better than who the niners could have had in round 2 last year.

The following players could have been had in round 2, and they might have been the differance to winning a few more games.

[+]
13 (45) Giants (From Saints) Sintim, Clint OLB 6'3" 256 Virginia

[+]
17 (49) Seahawks (From Bears) Unger, Max OT 6'5" 309 Oregon
[+]

[
22 (54) Vikings Loadholt, Phil OL 6'8" 332 Oklahoma
[+]

26 (58) Patriots Vollmer, Sebastian OL 6'7" 312 Houston
[+]

[+]
28 (60) Giants Beatty, William OT 6'6" 307 Connecticut
[+]

After reading this I am trying to understand your purpose for posting this. Are you that board with life that you need to think up this random post? Are you really complaining about making the Carolina trade? Any Niner fan with logical thinking of the draft will 100% disagree with you anyday. You ever think that maybe YOU had to high of expectations for the carolina panthers to suck this year. Any football fan knows anything is possible in the nfl. Any team can win on any given sunday. You can't project. The panthers could have won the superbowl. A 1st round pick is better then a 2nd round pick anyday!
This post is total garbage. Two things:

No one on this board expected the Panthers pick to be a top 10 pick. Sure, any informed fan can look at the Panthers history to know they run hot one year (13-3 and a division championship) and cold the next. Then again, no one expected them to go 3-13.

Your so called player analysis was stunning. All the players you mentioned COULD have had an impact? Great work there, Nostradamus! Make an actual argument about those players potential impact and maybe you might get some support.